TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Guest JustPassinBy
Last FNF of 2006 is tonight...two good fights, worth watching:

Allan Green(21-0) vs. Emmett Linton(33-4-2)

Emmanuel Augustus(33-27-6) vs. Courtney Burton(21-5) in a rematch of a very controversially decided first fight.

Green won a decision.

Not his best performance at all, but I gotta give credit to Linton for fighting a very smart fight.

If a someone had just seen Green for the first time tonight, they probably wouldnt think of him as anything special. But he is. He was just off tonite.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There is no way Toney gets knocked out. He's way too good at moving his shoulders, and doing the little things to avoid big shots, like I said earlier. I'm betting he wins on points, handily.

"I still don't buy the theory of a "great chin". I think great defensive technique can allow you to get blasted but it not hit you in the right place, thus you stay up. Hit anyone in the right spots and they are going down. "

That's all part of it. Yes. A boxer's goal should be to avoid getting hit completely. :D

It's also not far fetched to consider the possiblity that some people can absorb more flush punishment than others.

"I could be very wrong, but I just don't buy the "you can't knock him down cause he has a iron chin" people. I just don't."

Anyone can be knocked out.

"For all the talk of Wladimir's weak chin being overstated, does anyone really doubt the likeliness of him tumbling down the next time he gets caught by someone with legit power, or will having Emmanual in his corner magically keep him on his feet?"

I believe Stewart should be training Wlad how to avoid getting hit, balance, and how to survive getting in trouble. I don't think anyone implied magic. :huh:

"There is no way Toney gets knocked out. "

This is the only way I see Peter getting the win.

"For all the talk of Wladimir's weak chin being overstated, does anyone really doubt the likeliness of him tumbling down the next time he gets caught by someone with legit power, or will having Emmanual in his corner magically keep him on his feet?"

I believe Stewart should be training Wlad how to avoid getting hit, balance, and how to survive getting in trouble. I don't think anyone implied magic. :huh:

The only noticible difference nowadays is that Wlad is better at holding on when hurt (and often when not, as was frustratingly apparent against Byrd). His defense has never been that bad, and for all talk of his balance, I don't think trying to improve it makes it any less likely that he can be easily dropped if hit cleanly.

"all talk of his balance, I don't think trying to improve it makes it any less likely that he can be easily dropped if hit cleanly."

Yes, I think some of the knockdowns he suffered could be prevented from better balance(among other things) as I don't believe he was hurt or rocked in some instances, if you disagree that's fine.

Another fight, another BULLSHIT decision.

Peter 116-111

Toney 115-112

Peter 116-111

Peter lost a point, which means two judges saw Peter win NINE rounds in a super close fight. Straight BULLSHIT.

I had that fight as a draw. I didn't keep score, but I didn't really think there was a clear winner. Could have gone either way, but not by 5 points. Maybe 2 or 3.

It would have been hard for Toney to win a decision, because it seemed as if Peter was landing more clean power punches. Toney was landing jabs straight on Sam's chin, but none of them really moved him. I'll have to watch it again when they put it up on demand.

Glen Johnson apparently lost in a bullshit decision, as Clinton Woods should have been DQ'd due to a member of his corner jumping onto the ring apron.

Guest JustPassinBy

Peter won the fight bc he threw harder shots and had Toney staggered a few times.

Heavyweights is a strange division bc usually in that division power punchers get more credit than volume punching. In the lower divisions, it the exact opposite.

No doubt Toney was the busier fighter, but I dont think he got robbed. Peter hit Toney harder and seemed to be in total control. Toney couldnt hurt Peter and thats what the judges saw. They were right at ring side. THey could tell that Peter was landing harder shots, while Toney was landing more shots. Quality won out over quantity in this case.

I can see how either guy could have gotten the decision...but Peter by two 5-point margins? With Don King grinning like an asshole in the background? Not cool.

King is going to jump on Peter, but Peter doesn't seem like the type of guy that would want to be a part of his antics. Sam will KO Oleg if they fight.

If Peter truly won, there is NO WAY he won by those margins, the dude is so fucking inaccurate, even with the fact that he was in with Toney who has superb defense, he still barely hit Toney when Toney was standing still. Also, I think he threw ONE COMBO the entire fight......

I wanted Peter to KO Toney so bad....but all I saw was Toney outclass the Nigerian Nightmare, and then get hosed in the decision.

I suspected either a Peter knock out or a crap decision, and sadly it was the later. I had Toney up by at least two points at the final, and I wanted him to lose. It was a close fight either way, especially with the point deduction. Peter hurt Toney a few times but his lurching head hunting often came up empty. Toney couldn't hurt Peter but he was able to counter effectively until the later rounds, even busting Peter up a little with his jab mid way through. Again, I feel like I'm watching a different fight than the judges. Peter needed more rounds like 10 where he pulled some of the wild power off his punches to throw more quick, accurate ones.(though evidently he still won the fight so...)

This fight reminded me alot of De La Hoya/Mosley 2, where Mosley had the harder and the more power punches, but De La Hoya was hitting Mosley with more punches.

I had Toney winning 115-113, but could see why people had Peter winning 114-113, but Peter winning 116-11? That's bullshit.

From fightnews...

A September 19 press conference is being planned to officially announce the November 11 clash between IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and unbeaten Calvin Brock at Madison Square Garden.

It looks like PBF will be making $8 million plus ppv revenue for the fight with Baldomir. Baldo will make a career-high of $1.7 million....and I really like that a man like Baldomir gets another big financial break, as he has really earned this opportunity, unlike Margarito who for years has fought absolute scrubs under the guise of 'everyones ducking me'.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I bet Baldomir gets hit a thousand times in that fight and barely staggers.

Some good upcoming cards on free tv...

This Thursday- OLN

Kid Diamond(22-1) vs. Jairo Rael Ramirez(20-2) - 12 rds lightweights

Jose Luis Zertuche(19-2-2) vs. Fulgencio Zuniga(17-2-1) 10 rds middleweights

Thurs 9/28 - OLN

Kevin Kelley(58-7-2) vs. Carlos Hernandez(42-6-1) 10 rds lightweights

Raul Martinez(15-0) vs. Ilido Julio(33-8-1) 10 rds bantamweights

Sat 10/4 - ESPN

Peter Manfredo Jr(25-"3") vs. Joe Spina(19-0-1) 12 rds middleweights

Allen Green(22-0) vs Jerson Ravelo(17-1) 10 rds super middleweights

From fightnews...

A September 19 press conference is being planned to officially announce the November 11 clash between IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and unbeaten Calvin Brock at Madison Square Garden.

Goodnight Calvin Brock.... :fight2:

HBO is going to show Calzaghe's fight on October 14th. Their next card has Jorge Arce in one fight, and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in the other.

Oh, Wlad by UD.

I thought he was going to try and beat a bunch of cab drivers, bartenders, and police officers and rack up over 80 wins before stepping up in compition like his daddy.

So what's the over/under on how many time Wlad needlessly clinches?

Probably not as much as he falls down from being off balance due to his opponent sneezing in his direction.