TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

"I had Paul Briggs winning against Adamek by a point, but cant really complain. Great fight"

Same here but it was really close so I'm not gonna complain either. Adamek had some good rallies but he needed an answer to all of those right hands.

"How can you not be impressed by a 7ft, 325 pound man coming on STRONG in the eleventh round?"

His stamina and pacing is impressive for a man his size. And evidently they say he's more like 7'3"! The 11th was the only round he looked like he was really swinging with bad intentions and that big right hook was pretty scary looking.

"Monte fucking Barrett hurt Valuev on more than one occasion."

:huh:

I'm not sure Valuev got hurt at all in that fight, Monte landed some good shots but the big guy didn't do so much as blink. If he was hurt, he didn't show it at all.

"If Barrett was a good fighter, he would have been able to finish it up."

Valuev looks like he can easily be outboxed. Monte shouldn't have went head hunting like that as those wild swings left him open for big shots that shouldn't have landed.

Valuev was most hurt in round 1. In the later rounds, Barrett was so gassed that when he punched Valuev, he had nothing behind his punches. I'd like to see Sam Peter knock his giant ass out.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Corrales is contemplating retirement. He got whooped.

"Valuev was most hurt in round 1. "

If he was hurt, there is no visible evidence to suggest it. Valuev didn't look so much as bothered by anything Barrett landed in any round. Sorry but I don't understand how anyone could come to the conlusion that Monte's punches were having any serious effect on him.

"I'd like to see Sam Peter knock his giant ass out."

ok.

I guess I missed the parts where Valuev got hurt as well.

I also didn't see any 'whooping' in the Corrales-Casamayor fight. A close, sometimes boring/sometimes not, end to a trilogy that will presumably forever lack a clear winner.

Valuev was stunned in Round 1. Watch the replay if you don't believe me, but I think he was surprised to have been hit that hard. It was right at about the time where Barrett was nearly knocked down.

A close, sometimes boring/sometimes not, end to a trilogy that will presumably forever lack a clear winner.

I didn't have it scored close, hence the "whooping" tag.

From fightnews...

WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai "Giant Russian" Valuev had been attempting to contact Monte "Two Gunz" Barrett since Sunday morning to make sure Barrett was okay after losing to Valuev by technical knockout in the 11th round in Chicago Saturday night. Valuev reached Barrett on his mobile phone this morning and told him through a translator that he wished him a quick recovery and good luck in the future. The translator said that Barrett seemed "touched" by Valuev's call, and he told the translator to tell Valuev that he was in the best shape of his life, so this means he passed a true test on Saturday night.

Reminder, tommorow night is the next Contender special on Espn.

Petrer Manfredo Jr-Joe Spina

Allan Green-Jerson Ravelo

Also, Alphonso Gomez is on the card, but that being televised probably hinders on time.

And Calzaghe comfortably wins the decision despite a really lackluster performance. His timing was way off and his energy level was really down. His showboating in the early rounds was fun as was the two punch dodge after the bell; but he really couldn't get anything going offensively. Bika(Sp?) was foul happy but didn't look too impressive.

I didn't catch HBO's showing of that fight as I had already read the spoilers and the Contender special started at about the same time.

I didn't catch HBO's showing of that fight as I had already read the spoilers and the Contender special started at about the same time.

You didn't miss much, Joe looked ill-prepared and seemed like he was trying to hard to be flashy for the cameras. The last third of the fight didn't have much action with Calzaghe seemingly weary of mixing it up with the dirty Bika who was holding and hitting and caught on camera throwing intentional headbutts on the inside during the forth.

Evidently, Kessler crushed Beyer so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. They showed the KO on HBO after the Zag fight with Beyer refusing to get up after being overwhelmed.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That Calzaghe/Bika fight was filthy dirty. Low shots, headbutts, rabbit punches, hitting after the bell. All it lacked was biting and elbows.

Bika was a known dirty fighter going in, so,not sure why Calzaghe chose him as an opponent. Calzaghe is at the level now where he doesnt need any belt to be Champion.

Apparently he wants to break Joe Louis' record of 25 defenses.

Besides the obvious stuff on HBO/Showtime, there will also be some good free stuff on Versus yet this year...

-Tonight(more accurately, one of many replays throughout the week due to Game 7) - Ali-Frazier 2 at the Garden.

-11/2- Kelly Pavlik vs. Lenord Pierre(12) and Hollywood Kaddour vs. Jesus Velarde(8)

-11/9- Duran-Cuevas(1/29/83) and Duran-Moore(6/16/1983)

-11/16- Bobby Pacquiao vs. Hector Velasquez(12) and Messenger Thompson vs. Jose Luis Cruz(10)

-11/30- Replay of three ppv fights a few months ago...Cotto-Malinaggi, Pacquiao-Kelley, and JCC Jr-Drake

Edit - This Saturday will be a replay of Duddy-Cuevas and Zbikowski-Bell from that Cotto ppv.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Considering he's my favorite athlete of all time in any sport, and has an upcoming World Tour, here's a really cool Mike Tyson video.

The most impressive part to me is about 1:08 in, where the guy he's fighting throws about a dozen shots, barely lands two, with Tyson ducking and dodging like a god, only to stand up and smoke the fucker on a trade. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrYmshl82Y

Which is sad.

Tyson's opponent, besides being his sparring partner, only has one eye. AWESOME FIGHT!

Maybe they'll wear headgear too.

HELL no. My money goes to Baldomir-Mayweather and when I DVR PacMan-Morales.

I considered going to a friend's house to watch it, but he didn't order it either.

Sanders is just going to do dives for Tyson around the whole circuit.

The results of this "show" are hilarious. Those fighters on the undercard wouldn't make it on Telemundo or ESPN.

I heard that Juan Lazcano beat Manuel Garnica in one of the worst decisions ever, on that shitty "Mexican Glory" card.

Lazcano should really look into Del Boca Vista.

Though it didn't interest me even when it did have a main event, tonight's card (at $35) looks incredible next to the Tyson thing.

The results of this "show" are hilarious. Those fighters on the undercard wouldn't make it on Telemundo or ESPN.

Pac-Man's sparring partner > all fighters from Cuba/Puerto Rico.

What are the predictions for Mayweather-Baldomir? Toughest fight of PBF's career, imo. Baldomir is Tough.

Nonetheless, PBF by late stoppage or decision.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Same prediction from me, snuffy. Baldomir is going to get hit hundreds upon hundreds of times and barely flinch until the sixth or so, where it will all catch up with him at once. I'm thinking cuts and pure accumulation of shots add up to the ref in the eighth or so.

What are the predictions for Mayweather-Baldomir? Toughest fight of PBF's career, imo. Baldomir is Tough.

Castillo and Corrales are both better fighters then Baldomir. They were byfar the toughest fights of his career.

Mayweather will win by a wide desicion.