TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Anyone else ordering Barrera-Juarez II? That card is stacked.

Most likely not. I haven't ordered a boxing PPV since Tarver/Hopkins. My money is going to UFC: Hughes Vs. Penn 2 next week.

OLN tonight...

Zuniga-Zertuche was really fun to watch...I thought Zuniga did win by a point. A third fight would be fine by me.

Kid Diamiond just demolished poor Jairo Ramirez. It was two brutal knockdowns, some slow torture, and a horrible gash to the eye to finish things off.

And, Wally Matthews is an annoying dick.

I wanna get Barrera/Juarez II, but it is a lot of cash, and I will be staying with a friend this weekend, so even if I give him the money for it, it will still be on his cable bill.

Barrios update from today's weigh-in: While the fight between now-former WBO Jr. Lightweight Champion Jorge Barrios and undefeated Joan Guzman will go on, only the undefeated Dominican will have a chance to walk away with the belt. Because he could not make the 130-pound limit today, Barrios has now been stripped of his belt. The two camps have completed negotiations, with Barrios having to settle the matter of extra poundage for an undisclosed amount, but Golden Boy Promotions says the fight will go on. Barrios was two pounds over the limit--originally three, although rumors place him as heavy as eight pounds over yesterday.

-fightnews.com

Pretty lame, Jorge.

Guzman is already coming up in weight, and Barrios is a murderous puncher...if he really comes in tomrrow night well over the limit, it could be terrible for Guzman (though not financially). If Barrios actually tries to shed the last couple pounds, Guzman will have a plenty good chance of proving his talk correct.

Everyone else made weight for the card.

My predictions:

Marco Antonio Barerra W12 Rocky Juarez (a bit more decisive this time)

Israel Vazquez W12 Jhonny Gonzalez

Barrios-Guzman is a mit muddled by the weight thing...but I'll stick with Barrios by ko, say, round 9.

Paez Jr looks to be padding his record with another soft touch.

I got Rocky tonight. I think he's more younger and fresher and will beat Barrera. I'm hoping Barrera wins though, because he's one of my favorites of all time.

I've got Rocky winning a controversial split decision, Vazquez KO'ing Gonzalez in 8, and Guzman winning a UD.

I've got Rocky winning a controversial split decision, Vazquez KO'ing Gonzalez in 8, and Guzman winning a UD.

Do you think it's going to be close? If so, then it shouldn't be controversial. That word gets thrown too many times, espically in the case of close desicions. A real controversial desicions are Whitaker/Chavez, Lewis/Holyfield I, Ali/Norton 3 etc.

Poor Swee' Pea :(

DLH is planning to follow up tonight's card with a much less intriguing ppv:

Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Jimrex Jaca

Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Al Seeger

Juan Lazcano vs. Manuel Garnica

Antonio Escalante vs. Omar Adorno

At least it will be a bit cheaper at $34.95

PBF-Baldomir will be 44.95

No, not that close. Whitaker/Chavez and Whitaker/De La Hoya are some of the worst of all time.

Whitaker/De La Hoya wasn't the worst of desicions, it was a close fight, I had Whitaker winning. Whitaker is my favorite of all time to.

Results from fightnews...

This time WBC super featherweight champion Marco Antonio Barrera (63-4, 42 KOs) made it decisive as he dominated Rocky Juarez (25-3, 18 KOs) over twelve rounds in a workmanlike performance on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The rematch of what was an exciting fight in May turned out to be a tactical fight from round one with both fighters working at a deliberate pace. Rocky had promised to be more aggressive this time around, but that was not the case. Barrera was able to pick Juarez apart with his jab and by round six, Juarez right eye was starting to swell shut. The pace remained slow with Barrera content to smartly outbox the strangely passive Juarez the rest of the way. In the end, the scores were 117-111 and two closer than expected 115-113, 115-113 counts.

WBC super bantamweight champion Israel Vazquez (40-3, 29 KOs) survived two knockdowns to stop WBO bantamweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez (33-4, 28 KOs) in round ten. Gonzalez used his superior height and reach to dominate the first six rounds, dropping Vazquez in both rounds four and six. However, Vazquez came back to drop Gonzalez in the seventh and again in the tenth, prompting Gonzalez' trainer Oscar Suarez to throw in the towel. Time was 2:09.

Joan Guzman (26-0, 17 KOs) won a hard fought twelve round unanimous split decision over Jorge Barrios (46-3-1, 33 KOs) to claim the vacant WBO jr lightweight title. Guzman, who previously held the WBO 122lb belt, came out on fire in round one, but the rugged Barrios got back into the fight with some excellent body work. Barrios was deducted one point by referee Vic Drakulich for a questionable low blow in round six, which ultimately cost Barrios a draw in the bout. In the end, Guzman won by scores of 114-113, 115-112 on two cards. Barrios won on the third card 114-113. Barrios lost his title on the scales Friday when he was unable to make the weight and had he won the title would have remained vacant.

Jr welterweight prospect Jorge Paez, Jr. (10-0, 7 KOs) won a close majority decision over Derrick Campos (6-2, 5 KOs). Paez dropped Campos in round two, but Campos battled Paez every step of the way and dropped Paez with seconds left in round four. Scores were 37-37, 38-36, 38-36.

Jr middleweight Euri Gonzales (12-0, 8 KOs) won a split decision over Juan Pablo Montes De Oca (8-10-2) by scores of 58-54, 57-55, 55-57. Both fighters were deducted points for low blows.

In his pro debut, Freddie Roach fighter Craig McEwan (1-0) destroyed George Montalvo (0-2), needing just 2:16 to get the stoppage.

In his pro debut, welterweight Anthony Martinez stopped Leon Green (1-1) at 1:14 of round two.

Welterweight Henry Crawford (12-0-1) brutally leveled Adam Wynant (12-5-1) with a straight right just 12 seconds into their fight.

Superbanatam Miguel Reza (3-1) won a majority decision over Sergio Mendez (4-3) by scores of 40-36, 39-37, 36-36.

The card was excellent, even if the Barrera fight was a little boring. I don't think that anyone that could conceivably make weight to fight Barrera could beat him. Even Pacquiao. Barrera boxed a perfect match.

Guzman beat Barrios worse than the score would indicate, and Vazquez lucked into the win. Paez should have lost by decision, if there was another minute in the fight he would have been knocked out.

There's little reason to believe Pacqiao wouldn't beat Barrera again, which is why, despite what Lampley might say, MAB has wanted little to do with a rematch since the first bout.

Barrera said that Pacquiao was obviously the next step for him. Those aren't exact words.

I think he'll fight Juan Manuel Marquez next, then go after Pac.

Lampley and crew were on another planet tonight with some of the stupid shit they were saying. Merchant needs to put down the microphone.

If Marco wanted really wanted Pacquiao, Manny's name would've been the first out of his mouth when asked who was left for him. Instead, he dropped the usual "I don't care... it's up to my promoters" lines. Merchant had to bring up Manny himself.

His lack of interest in a rematch probably wouldn't be as infuriating if not for the number of excuses HBO's announce team made on Marco's behalf for the asswhipping he received.

I don't think MAB would do any better in a rematch than he did in the first fight with Pacquiao.

Nonetheless, he will probably make his last fight against the winner of PacMan-Morales3...and, sad as I will be, I dont think Morales will win it.

I think the Jorge Paez, Jr./Derrick Campos fight should of been a draw or even a win for Campos due to being the aggressor majority of the fight. Both fighters got the 10/8 round due to knock down with Paez going down in the 4th and Campos going down in the 2nd. Jorge Paez Jr., was basically being a counter puncher most of the fight and was able to work his way out of the corner showing that he has boxing skills but he threw that all way in the 4th round by being sloppy on defense in the final seconds.

Joan Guzman/Jorge Barrios was for the vacant 122 Super Junior whatever belt due to Barrios not making weight. Jim Lampey, Emmanuel Steward, and the other old man all made claims that Barrios was around 140+ a week before the fight and never could get into shape. The fight started out with both men throwing punches at amazing speed looking for the early KO it went on like this up until round 4 when Barrios started to work the body punch. Guzman was had his hands low to defend his ribs and was able to work in some nice counter punches so much that Lampey went clich with "Groteque mask" comments. The low blow at question was total BS because Barrios struck the beltline where the Guzman name was and was clearly not in any danger of striking the lower groin or the genitals. Lampey or Steward made a comment "I hope they send the ref to the minor leagues" I found this funny. The fight ended in a blaze of glory with both Guzman and Barrios ending the fight as they started it with a barrage of fists with no concern of pain or retribution.

Israel Vazquez/ Jhonny Gonzalez was a testiment to the proverb "never quit no matter what". Gonzalez had the fight won in rounds 1-6 scoring power punches near 45%. But then round 7 Vazquez's corner gave him a peptalk that actually worked! Vazquez came out looking for the KO and was hitting the power punches at near 40% to a degree that it got a knockdown. In around round 10 after 3 rounds of wearing down Gonzalez came the 2nd knockdown and to some conterversy whether it was the father or the trainer who stopped the fight by waving the white towel and entering the ring the fight was over.

Barrera/ Juarez what can I say about this fight other than that Juarez was never really in it other than being the punching bag for Barrera. The Jab of Barrera was the key factor in winning the victors prize money for the man who has been a professional boxer for nearly half of his life it looked like it. It was textbook boxing working the jab to keep Juarez at a distance and working on the weakspot which was Juarez's eye that closed up in the later rounds. There will be no controvery about this fight as it was clearcut that Barrera was in total control and was the ring general that never gave up. It was stated numerous times that Barrera will be retiring at the end of 2007 what will his final fight be will it be the rematch against Pacquiao and another loss?

Overall it was a great PPV all 4 fights were great and entertaining even though the main event was not as exciting as hyped but Golden Boy Promotions put on one hell of a fight card and is the future for professional boxing forget about the heavyweights all of the talent is in the flyweight, bantemweight, lightweight divisions basically everybody from 160 and below.

I am not counting out Morales in the 3rd Pac-Man fight, I think he can pull it off.

I really thought he lost the 2nd fight, because his confidence was shot. Remember he was coming off a very devastating lost to Zahir Raheem, where he was totally dominated and outclassed. Morales had NEVER in a pro fight been dominated like that. He didn't look the same Morales that schooled Pac-Man in the 1st fight, going into the 2nd fight.

Now that he has had alot of time off, to get his confidence on track, I'm not counting him out. Of course I think Pac-Man is going to win, because he's on a roll right now, but I am not counting out Morales for a 2nd.

With the wins of Guzman and Valero, the Super Featherweight division is STACKED. It was stacked already, now even more so.

The undercard for Morales-Pacquiao 3 could end up being pretty good...

Mighty Mike Arnaoutis(17-0-2) vs. Ricardo Torres(29-1, 27kos) for the wbo 140lb belt. Torres is by far the toughest opponent Mighty Mike has ever seen.

Omar Nino(24-2) vs. Brian Viloria(19-1) in a rematch for wbc lt fly title.

Humberto Soto might have a ten rounder as well.

Boxingtalkers definitely don't want to miss this must see footage of Floyd Mayweather Jr preparing for his November 4 showdown with welterweight king Carlos Baldomir. While we were in the gym, Mayweather's sparring session with a super middleweight, who shall remain unnamed, got so heated that they decided to do away with the resting between rounds. "Now I'm going to knock you out," boasted Mayweather, and after 20 minutes of non-stop sparring, or surgery if you consider the way Floyd was operating on him, the super middleweight spit his mouth piece out and said, "that's enough." Shortly thereafter, advisor Leonard Ellerbe allowed BT to turn our cameras on and bring Boxingtalkers must see footage of Mayweather getting ready for the most important fight of his life.

Floyd being Floyd. The super middleweight was probably Lacy (total guess).

If I wasn't going to the USC/Cal game on the 18th, I'd order the Pacman card without question. I'll be ordering PBF-Baldomir instead.

IBF interim lightweight champ Julio Diaz will be fighting WBO lightweight champ Acelino Freitas Nov. 19 on HBO. Diaz is promoted by Sycuan Ringside Promotions.

Card on Sunday? HUH

The St Pete Times is reporting that the HBO 12/2 card will have Winky Wright vs. Ike Quartey (Bazooka will make at least a million for this fight, good to see him not suffering from that 'loss' to Forrest) and the return of Jeff Lacy.

Here's a new one...

2004 US Olympian flyweight Ron Siler, who has yet to make his pro debut, was ordered by a judge to get back into the ring or go to jail, according to the local news in Cincinnati, Ohio. Siler, who is charged with not paying child support for six children, is looking at up to six years in jail if he doesn't start earning a living in "his area of expertise." If Siler doesn't fight, Judge Robert Nadel will issue a warrant for his arrest.

fightnews.com

Arthur Abraham beat Edison Miranda in what was said to be a MOTYC in Europe. Hopefully it will be shown on American tv sometime.

Reminder for those interested, tonight is the Contender 2 final...Steve Forbes vs. Grady Brewer. I think ehme predicted Forbes would be in it at the end, but he would look terrible if he didn't make it...he's a former champ in there with alot of inexperienced guys.

The WBC has ordered a rematch between James Toney and Sam Peter. The winner is the immediate mandatory for Maskaev.

If I'm Peter, I walk away from this fight.

Reminder for those interested, tonight is the Contender 2 final...Steve Forbes vs. Grady Brewer. I think ehme predicted Forbes would be in it at the end, but he would look terrible if he didn't make it...he's a former champ in there with alot of inexperienced guys.

Boxingtalk.net spoiled the finals months prior to the 1st airing of the show.

They gave no warning of spoilers or anything, they just had it on the front page in clear sight. One of the most unprofessional things a boxing site has done.