TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest •

The king of grocery stores

Guest •
Hilander.png

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

that's funny. was just there a couple hours ago. you from rockford?

and yes Hilander was a local chain that was bought out by Kroger and Logli was also another local chain bought out by Schnucks.

I'm not from Rockford, I just go down there sometimes for Phantom Regiment home shows and if I'm craving Beef-a-Roo.

where i am i got 3 Krogers, 1 Cub Foods, 1 Schnucks (another one is being built) 3 Jewel-Oscos (where i start today baggin groceries)

Guest •

Where the hell are you in which Kroger, Cub Foods, and Jewel-Osco are all coinciding? Jewel-Osco is only in/around Chicago, and Kroger is more rural midwest, like Indiana. And you're a Patriots fan?

Where the hell are you in which Kroger, Cub Foods, and Jewel-Osco are all coinciding? Jewel-Osco is only in/around Chicago, and Kroger is more rural midwest, like Indiana. And you're a Patriots fan?

In Springfield, Jewel is no more, with Cub Foods taking over their building while still hosting an Osco pharmacy. Talk about weird.

i live in Bloomington, Illinois funny thing is one of the Kroger's, Jewel-Osco, Cubs and Schunks are like within a mile from each other LOL and yes i am a Patriots fan

Hmm around here it is Safeway, Albertsons, Haggens, Top Food (Kroger), QFC, Fred Meyer (Kroger owned but it's part department store too), Cost Cutter and there are a fair amount of Trader Joes around but that isn't really a grocery store IMO.

Lets see. The ones that count here are Super Walmart, Super Target, Kroger, Publix, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes.

I like Joes more than Whole Foods because they are cheaper and the other customers are less annoying. The Kroger Publix debate comes down to this: if it is daytime, Publix because they have some good subs, the mardi gras wings which is the greatest thing in the history of forever, and they are actually clean.

Then you have Kroger which are as clean as a 24 hour supermarket can be, and their bakery makes the most kickass non Krispe Kreme variety donuts.

I will go to Walmart more times than not though because they are the closest. I go to the Super Target if I am coming from the mall because it is less crowded than the Walmart.

If I had to pick a winner though, it would have to be Walmart because of their kickass crablegs. Second place is Publix, Kroger gets tied third due to the 24 hours a day and Target is there because they have the best store brand food.

Guest •

i live in Bloomington, Illinois funny thing is one of the Kroger's, Jewel-Osco, Cubs and Schunks are like within a mile from each other LOL and yes i am a Patriots fan

I was in Bloomington a month ago. There are some really nice gas stations there. It's still a miserably isolated place, though.

I was in Bloomington a month ago. There are some really nice gas stations there. It's still a miserably isolated place, though.

what town are you from within Illinois

I was astonished when I went to visit my family in Georgia and saw that they still had an Aldi's. I was shocked because:

1 - I thought that it was a chain exclusive to Illinois, and

2 - I thought they went out of business twenty years ago; Aldi's is like the goodwill of supermarket chains (or at least they were, the last time I'd been to one), and when they moved out of North Chicago, I figured that they'd gone the way of the dodo.

And Mr. Rant, I loved Safeway when I was stationed in Bremerton; of course, with the schedule I tend to keep, I'm a big fan of any place that sells food that's open twenty-four hours, but they also have this kick-ass blue raspberry soda at Safeway, too.

I've seen Aldi's in Western New York. They are very good, but I do not like the fact I can not pay on credit card, only cash.

I've seen Aldi's in Western New York. They are very good, but I do not like the fact I can not pay on credit card, only cash.

I remember a time not long ago when no grocery store allowed you to pay by credit card. Weird.

I was astonished when I went to visit my family in Georgia and saw that they still had an Aldi's. I was shocked because:

1 - I thought that it was a chain exclusive to Illinois, and

2 - I thought they went out of business twenty years ago; Aldi's is like the goodwill of supermarket chains (or at least they were, the last time I'd been to one), and when they moved out of North Chicago, I figured that they'd gone the way of the dodo.

Aldi is based in I think Germany and is one of the largest retail chains in the world.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Aldi fascinates me. 25 cents for a loaf of bread? How can this be?

Here in Anderson we have

4 Krogers

3 Harvest Supermarkets

1 Marsh

3 LoBills (these were formerly Marsh, as well)

1 Aldi

1 Super Wal-Mart and 1 Meijer (where I work), if those count. We also have a Mexican supermarket, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You have four friggin' Krogers in Anderson? Whack.

Then again I'm in Huntington (again) and we have two, plus a Marsh and a Wal-Mart

Publix is a good store.

Absolutely. Their subs rival any major chain's.

A-fucking-men. One of the things I miss about Florida. Their Boar'd Head subs fucking DESTROYED Subway. But seeing as I worked for them on and off for like five years, I can't say Publix is a good store, especially having an uncaring shithead for a manager. I had a 1986 Mets Starter jacket stolen because there weren't any lockers I could put it in, and the asshole tried to make it out like it was MY fault.

I do the majority of my shopping at Meijer, and do the balance at Sam's. Kroger is good but their sales are way too inconsistent.