TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Educate Me: Joy Division

I recently realized that I know next to nothing about Joy Division, a band that is often mentioned as a major influence from the post-punk era. I've downloaded a couple of songs over the years and have enjoyed them, but have never felt compelled to explore the catalog.

So, TSM Music Nerds, please educate me on Joy Division. Tell me where to start and what I'm going to find along the way. I understand that the catalog is thin, with just two studio albums and a couple of collections of rarities, but what do I need to hear and what, if anything, do I skip?

Best songs?

Must-buy albums?

Bands to explore next?

Feedback required.

As a good starter, you should get Substance 1977-1980. It's a collection of their singles and the like, and it's just a good starting place for some one getting into JD. It has the classics like Love Will Tear Us Apart, Atmosphere, Digital, Transmission, She's Lost Control, and the kinda lesser known (but still awesome) Warsaw.

Bands to explore next are obviously New Order, and possibly even early Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (or The Birthday Party, your choice. I've never actually heard anything by TBP, but I hear it's pretty good), starting with "From Her To Eternity" all the way to "Let Love In."

I mostly agree with Kinetic, but if you insist on trying to get into them then Substance is probably your best bet. The Critical Consensus says that Closer is a masterpiece or something, but holy fuck is it boring. There's lots of way better post-punk out there. Look into that instead. Start with Gang of Four's Entertainment! and Public Image Ltd's Metal Box/Second Edition and go from there. Happy travels!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I just got into these guys recently, and I think they're absolutely amazing.

Closer and Unknown Pleasures get those.

I'm a big fan of Unknown Pleasures, Closer is decent and Substance has only four good songs on it, IMO.

Next logical step is New Order, though I couldn't direct you to a starting point there since I've only heard a couple songs. I've had a harder time getting into them than JD as I prefer Ian Curtis' voice and not so much of the electronics.

All you really need are Closer and Unknown Pleasures. Really, listen to one of them and you'll probably have a pretty good feeling of if you're interested in the band or not. I'm a fan. Agree that Public Image Ltd's first two albums are a great place to go if you end up fond of Joy Division, particularly the droney and out-of-tune aspects.

Seconded. You can easily ignore everything after "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Based on Edwin's description of PIL's first two albums, I'll have to go check those out

I wouldn't bother. They're not any good. I don't really care for New Order, either, aside from a few songs.

Agreed. Though I do like a few tracks from NO.

Based on Edwin's description of PIL's first two albums, I'll have to go check those out

Like Byron said, Metal Box is the better of the two, but there's still some really good stuff on First Issue as well.

Like Byron said, Metal Box is the better of the two, but there's still some really good stuff on First Issue as well.

Flowers of Romance is pretty damn good too. There's not much as far as guitar work is concerned, but damn it's great. Everything afterwards is unspectacular though.

The album it comes from is whatevs, but PIL's "Rise" is one of their finest moments.

I like it a ton too. The first time I heard it, I thought, "Really? This is where PIL evolved to?", but it's grown on me tremendously.

I'm with the former Gary Floyd. PiL are one of my favorite bands, and how anyone can recommend their first two albums without also mentioning Flowers Of Romance is beyond me.

I also love Joy Division and New Order without hesitation, and would recommend everything by the former band and everything before 1991 or so by the later.

I also love Joy Division and New Order without hesitation, and would recommend everything by the former band and everything before 1991 or so by the later.

I think that Technique is the last great New Order album. Sure, Republic has "Regret", and that's a great song, but the album itself isn't that good. Get Ready has two good songs and a lot of bad ones ("Rock the Shack" for example) and Waiting for the Siren's Call-the less said the better.

I was present for a question and answer session with the director of Control after a screening of it. Engaging fellow. 24 Hour Party People is pretty good, insofar as Steve Coogan is hilarious, but that isn't actually about Joy Division. It's about their producer Martin Hannett.

24 Hour Party People is pretty good, insofar as Steve Coogan is hilarious, but that isn't actually about Joy Division. It's about their producer Martin Hannett.

It's actually about Tony Wilson. And once the Joy Division section ends, I see no point to watching the rest. I couldn't give two shits about Happy Mondays.

The line that God says was great, though. "You should have signed The Smiths."