TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Czecherbear

Scott Walker Thread

Guest Czecherbear

Let's have one.

Those trumpet runs on "Mathilde" aren't anything I can play these days without getting gassed fast, regrettably. These would be such fun karaoke songs, though, wouldn't they?

A top ten:

01 "Angelica"

02 "Mathilde"

03 "Jackie"

04 "Amsterdam:

05 "Rosemary"

06 "Montague Terrace"

07 "Black Sheep Boy"

08 "The Amorous Humphrey Plugg"

09 "Sons Of"

10 "The Girls and the Dogs"

There's a group of people who actually believe Tilt and The Drift are the best Walker albums. While I like those two—Tilt, especially—anyone who feels that way is either 1) kidding themselves, or 2) nuts. Scott 4 is pretty much a godhead for me. The songs are just so, so good, though I notice not a one appears in your top 10. Of the ones you list, "Montague Terrace" is my favorite.

Have you heard Climate of Hunter, Czech?

There's actually a documentary coming out about him. I'd agree that Scott 4 is his best work.

Hadn't heard of him until I heard "30 Century Man" in the first Futurama movie. Afterwards I got all the stuff I could find from him. I think I listen to "Scott Walker sings Jaques Brel" more than any of his other albums.

Guest Czecherbear

Scott's is a cover too, I just really like his cover. A lot of his early songs are Jacques Brel covers, and pretty faithful ones at that.

I only got Scott 4 like hours before starting this thread, so I wasn't sure about vaulting anything into my top ten so soon.

The Drift was a blind buy for me. It's a killer record, and scary as hell, too.

It's hard to believe Scott Walker went from "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" to what he's doing today.