TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

Guest CurryMan

I know there is an english soccer thread but its about a month to the World Cup in Germany and it deserves it own thread.

Some teams has already given out the squad for the World Cup. Thoughts on the squads?

I´ll give my thoughts on the England squad and the swedish later on.

I am not really sure on England's chances right now, what with Rooney breaking his foot. It was bad, because Rooney is a pretty tough guy who goes balls out on the field, and when he broke his foot, he was in so much pain.

He will probably miss the group stages of the Cup, and even after that, he may not have the right form to make a big difference in the tournament. Meanwhile, Owen hasn't been consistantly healthy in the last six months.

Heck, we could be seeing Defoe and Crouch starting up front. And Crouch could be quite the target for the midfielders, especially Beckham.

I think they'll go far no matter what.

Now, the United States...I think we may be able to make it out of our group of death. Here's hoping that Italy is old and tired, and we can win the games we need to win. I just worry that the team only having one month together before the tournament doesn't hurt them when it's time to run the offside-trap and such. Eddie Johnson needs to be a force for the U.S. to go far.

England have the same sort of run in the World Cup and the Euro Championships every year.

Scrape through the first two group matches, then in either the final group game or the second round they get a comfortable win (Holland in 96, Denmark in 2002, Croatia in 2004) which builds everyone's over-confidence again. Then, either the Quarters or the Semis, we play well but snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (Germany in 96, Argentina in 98, Portugal in 2004) and blame it on bad luck, a referee or a penalty shootout.

Guest CurryMan

Sweden's World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers

Alvbåge, John Viborg FF

Isaksson, Andreas Stade Rennais FC

Shaaban, Rami Fredrikstad FK

Defenders

Edman, Erik Stade Rennais FC

Hansson, Petter SC Heerenveen

Lucic, Teddy BK Häcken

Mellberg, Olof Aston Villa FC

Nilsson, Mikael Panathinaikos FC

Stenman, Fredrik Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Svensson, Karl IFK Göteborg

Midfielders & forwards

Alexandersson, Niclas IFK Göteborg

Allbäck, Marcus FC København

Andersson, Daniel Malmö FF

Elmander, Johan Brøndby IF

Ibrahimovic, Zlatan Juventus FC

Jonson, Mattias Djurgårdens IF

Källström, Kim Stade Rennais FC

Larsson, Henrik FC Barcelona

Linderoth, Tobias FC København

Ljungberg, Fredrik Arsenal FC

Rosenberg, Markus AFC Ajax

Svensson, Anders IF Elfsborg

Wilhelmsson, Christian RSC Anderlecht

No real big surprises the biggest ones are Rami Shaaban, Karl Svensson and that the coach gave a spot to both Markus Rosenberg and Johan Elmander. The really big surprise is that Alexander Östlund from Southampton FC didn´t even get a place in the squad. He was a starter for every game that he was available in for the qualification but he didn´t make the squad now.

Sweden will probebly play a 4-4-2 diamond with Fredrik Ljungberg at a free role at one of the winger positions.

----------------------

The English Squad

Goalkeepers

Paul Robinson Tottenham Hotspur

David James Manchester City

Robert Green Norwich City

Defenders

Gary Neville Manchester United

Rio Ferdinand Manchester United

John Terry Chelsea

Ashley Cole Arsenal

Sol Campbell Arsenal

Jamie Carragher Liverpool

Wayne Bridge Chelsea

Midfielders

David Beckham Real Madrid

Michael Carrick Tottenham Hotspur

Frank Lampard Chelsea

Steven Gerrard Liverpool

Owen Hargreaves Bayern Munich

Jermaine Jenas Tottenham Hotspur

Stewart Downing Middlesbrough

Joe Cole Chelsea

Aaron Lennon Tottenham Hotspur

Forwards

Wayne Rooney Manchester United

Michael Owen Newcastle United

Peter Crouch Liverpool

Theo Walcott Arsenal

Injuries is the main worrie when it comes to the english squad, both the defence and and the forwards is having big problems with there injuries. As I see it England will probebly play 4-5-1 but it will be intresting to see what happens. The biggest surprise sofar in this World Cup is of course the youth player Theo Walcott getting a place in the squad. My first tought about this was when the brasilian coach was also a agent and he let people he was an agent for play in the national team just so they would sell better.

Here is the United States' MNT:

GOALKEEPER

Kasey Keller B. Moenchengladbach (GER)

Tim Howard Everton FC (ENG)

Marcus Hahnemann Reading FC (ENG)

DEFENDERS

Chris Albright Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)

Carlos Bocanegra Fulham FC (ENG)

Steve Cherundolo Hannover 96 (GER)

Jimmy Conrad Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

Cory Gibbs ADO Den Haag (NED)

Eddie Lewis Leeds United (ENG)

Oguchi Onyewu Standard de Liege (BEL)

Eddie Pope Real Salt Lake (MLS)

MIDFIELDERS

DaMarcus Beasley PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Bobby Convey Reading FC (ENG)

Clint Dempsey New England Revolution (MLS)

Landon Donovan Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)

Pablo Mastroeni Colorado Rapids (MLS)

John O'Brien Chivas USA (MLS)

Ben Olsen D.C. United (MLS)

Claudio Reyna Manchester City (ENG)

FORWARDS

Brian Ching Houston Dynamo (MLS)

Eddie Johnson Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

Brian McBride Fulham (ENG)

Josh Wolff Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

They better make sure they get out of their group, and then they have to worry about not playing Brazil.

Guest CurryMan

Who will be the nr 1 choice to be the goalie in the WC for the US?

I read somewhere that the healing for Rooney is making progress and they are hoping that he will be fit for the WC. I feel the big gamble is will he be up to form to perform at that level that is needed for England after being out with an injury that long?

Rooney is crucial, but equally the form of Gerrard and Lampard will be vital. Gerrard has never quite played to his full in international tournaments but he could be a star here.

Wow, the first World Cup that Australia has been in during my lifetime. Pity they drew a group with Brazil. They'll beat Japan and give Croatia a shake.

At least with Brazil they'll beat everyone else in the group as well as Australia, so they just have to worry about beating Japan and Croatia to advance. Not easy and probably unlikely but certainly achievable, you could do worse for your first World Cup in 32 years.

I'm surprised the U.S aren't taking Freddy Adu. Funny that the reason, I think, was that he's thought to be too young and yet England are taking Theo Walcott with no real reasoning except politics.

Curry Man, I'd be shocked if Kasey Keller did not start all of the Cup games for the USA. He started every meaningful Cup qualifying game since Brad Friedel retired.

I think Adu was not selected because Bruce Arenas stuck to his guns of taking the best players and Adu was simply not one of them.......yet.

Curry Man, I'd be shocked if Kasey Keller did not start all of the Cup games for the USA. He started every meaningful Cup qualifying game since Brad Friedel retired.

I think Adu was not selected because Bruce Arenas stuck to his guns of taking the best players and Adu was simply not one of them.......yet.

Adu, hasn't gotten to the level they need for WC play and he isn't even a sexy name anymore, so the whole "marketing political" excuse isn't there.

I'm surprised the U.S aren't taking Freddy Adu. Funny that the reason, I think, was that he's thought to be too young and yet England are taking Theo Walcott with no real reasoning except politics.

Adu's not very good at this point. I'd rather the US started Howard, but they'll start Keller.

Guest CurryMan

Group A

Germany

Costa Rica

Poland

Ecuador

I do love the idea of the balls who they used to pick teams with was with hot air and that is way Germany came in such a easy group. The winner will face the team who comes second in group B so my intresst in this group is because we (Sweden) hopefully atleast come in second.

Group B

England

Paraguay

Trinidad and Tobago

Sweden

Once again Sweden and England will face one eachother, England are hughes favourites and it will be close between Paraguay and Sweden.

Group C

Argentina

Côte d'Ivoire

Serbia and Montenegro

Netherlands

This and group E is the most difficult groups in the World Cup, it can end up either way but favourites are Netherlands and Argentina.

Group D

Mexico

Iran

Angola

Portugal

Mexico really impressed me last year during the pre WC tournament i Germany, I´m excited to see them again and they should with ease move forward with Portugal to the next round.

Group E

Italy

Ghana

USA

Czech Republic

This WC "group of death" Italy and Czech Republic are favourites but both USA and Ghana has excellent players and it could go either way.

Group F

Brazil

Croatia

Australia

Japan

I see Brazil and Croatia taking this group. Brazil and Croatia meet eachother in the first round and I predict that they will draw. And then win the rest of the games even though it will be a close call against Australia for Croatia.

Group G

France

Switzerland

Korea Republic

Togo

France and Korea Republic will move forward imo.

Group H

Spain

Ukraine

Tunisia

Saudi Arabia

Perhaps the easiest group with A, Spain and Ukraine should go to the next round.

Thoughts on all of the groups anyone?

Picks on all of them.

Group A: Germany, Costa Rica. Awful group.

Group B: England and Sweden, but Paraguay could easily squeeze in.

Group C: Holland and Argentina. The "hell" group.

Group D: Mexico and Portugal. Iran is a sleeper.

Group E: Czechs and the US. Italy's kinda old.

Group F: Brazil and Australia. Good group.

Group G: France and Togo. Togo will be the story of the tournament.

Group H: Spain and Ukraine. Groups A and H suck.

I have Holland winning it all.

I think Ukraine will surprise a few people.

I also see Sweden beating England in the group stage and progressing first in that group. The Swedes and English are both quite physical and that may upset us.

Guest CurryMan
I think Ukraine will surprise a few people.

I also see Sweden beating England in the group stage and progressing first in that group. The Swedes and English are both quite physical and that may upset us.

Ukraine has perhaps the best striker in the world but how is the rest of the squad? I feel that Sjevtjenko might be abit to alone to really make it deep in the tournament.

When it comes to Sweden and England, Sweden has a great track record against them and hasn´t lost a game since what is it like 1956 but sometime the record must be broken and with England perhaps playing 4-5-1 and this being Svens last tournament I see England beating "us".

If nothing else, I see Sweden being hard to break down. I don't see them losing to Paraguay, but I also don't see them getting a very high score against T&T.

Ukraine are similar, but they have Shevchenko and (if he's on form) Rebrov who can score the goals. I could see them surprising Spain and toping their group, which should lead to a quarter final against Korea, Togo or Switzerland and then a semi against Brazil, and the Brazilians probably won't fancy playing against a disciplined side.

Or they could flop on the big stage.

Guest CurryMan

So Rebrov still play? I remember him when he was bought to Tottenham and he was to be just as good as Sjevtjenko bot failed miserable.

Rebrov returned to Dynamo Kiev. He's not the Ukraines best striker and faces a battle to get into their team, but he's got one hell of a understanding with Shevchenko.

Here are the other squads that have been named so far

France

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus)

Midfielders: Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Strikers: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord

Netherlands

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar).

Defenders: Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), John Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar).

Midfielders: Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Philip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Rafael van der Vaart (SV Hamburg).

Mexico

Goalkeepers: Oswaldo Sanchez (Guadalajara/Chivas), Guillermo Ochoa (America), Jesus Corona (UAG/Tecos)

Defenders: Jose Antonio Castro (America), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona), Mario Mendez (Monterrey), Ricardo Osorio (Cruz Azul), Francisco Rodriguez (Guadalajara/Chivas), Carlos Salcido (Guadalajara/Chivas), Claudio Suarez (Chivas USA), Andres Guardado (Atlas), Gonzalo Pineda (Guadalajara/Chivas)

Midfielders: Luis Perez (Monterrey), Pavel Pardo (America), Antonio Naelson (Toluca), Rafael Garcia (Atlas), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Ramon Morales (Guadalajara/Chivas)

Forwards: Jared Borgetti (Bolton Wanderers), Guillermo Franco (Villarreal), Francisco Fonseca (Cruz Azul), Omar Bravo (Guadalajara/Chivas), Jesus Arellano (Monterrey).

Croatia

Goalkeepers: Tomislav Butina (Club Bruges), Stipe Pletikosa (Hajduk Split), Joe Didulica (Austria Vienna)

Defenders: Robert Kovac (Juventus), Stjepan Tomas (Galatasaray), Dario Simic (AC Milan), Mario Tokic (Austria Vienna), Josip Simunic (Hertha Berlin), Igor Tudor (Siena), Marijan Buljat (Dinamo Zagreb)

Midfielders: Jerko Leko (Dynamo Kiev), Niko Kranjcar (Hajduk Split), Niko Kovac (Hertha Berlin), Marko Babic (Bayer Leverkusen), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Ivan Leko (Club Bruges), Luka Modric (Dinamo Zagreb), Jurica Vranjes (Werder Bremen), Anthony Seric (Panathinaikos)

Forwards: Dado Prso (Rangers), Ivan Klasnic (Werder Bremen), Bosko Balaban (Club Bruges), Ivica Olic (CSKA Moscow), Ivan Bosnjak (Dinamo Zagreb).

South Korea

Goalkeepers: Lee Woon-jae (Suwon Bluewings), Kim Yong-dae (Seongnam Ilwha) Kim Young-kwang (Chunnam Dragons)

Defenders: Lee Young-pyo (Tottenham Hotspur), Kim Dong-jin (FC Seoul), Cho Won-hee (Suwon Bluewings), Song Chong-gug (Suwon Bluewings), Choi Jin-cheul (Chonbuk Motors), Kim Jin-kyu (Jubilo Iwata), Kim Young-chul (Seongnam Ilwha)

Midfielders: Park Ji-sung (Manchester United), Kim Do-heon (Seongnam Ilwha), Kim Sang-shik (Seongnam Ilwha), Kim Nam-il (Suwon Bluewings), Lee Eul-yong (Trabzonspor), Lee Ho (Ulsan Tigers), Baek Ji-hoon (FC Seoul)

Strikers: Ahn Jung-hwan (MSV Duisburg), Cho Jae-jin (Shimizu S-Pulse), Park Chu-young (FC Seoul), Seol Ki-hyeon (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Lee Chun-soo (Ulsan Tigers), Chung Kyung-ho (Gwangju Sangmu)

Ghana

Goalkeepers: Sammy Adjei (Moadan Sport Ashdod, Israel), Richard Kingston (Ankaraspor, Turkey), George Owu (AsantiGold).

Defenders: Eric Addo (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Issah Ahmed (Randers, Denmark), Sheila Illiasu (Asante Kotoko), Samuel Osei Kuffour (AS Roma, Italy), John Mensah (Stade Rennes, France), Habib Mohammed (King Faisal Babes, Ghana), John Painstil (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Emmanuel Pappoe (Hapoel Kfar Saba, Israel), Daniel Quaye (Hearts of Oak), Hans Sarpei (VfL Wolfsburg, Germany)

Midfielders: Otto Addo (FSV Mainz, Germany), Stephen Appiah (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Derek Boateng (AIK Stockholm, Sweden), Haminu Dramani (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro), Michael Essien (Chelsea, England), Sulley Ali Muntari (Udinese, Italy)

Strikers: Matthew Amoah (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Asamoah Gyan (Modena, Italy), Razak Pimpong (FC Copenhagen, Denmark), Alex Tachie-Mensah (St. Gallen, Switzerland)

Angola

Goalkeepers: Joao Ricardo. Mario, Lama

Defenders: Delgado (Petro Atletico), Jamba (AS Aviacao), Kali (FC Barreirense, Portugal), Lebo Lebo (Petro Atletico), Loco (Primeiro Agosto), Marco Abreu (Portimonense, Portugal), Marco Airosa FC Barreirense, Portugal), Rui Marques (Hull City, England)

Midfielders: André (Kuwait SC, Kuwait), Edson (Pacos Ferreira, Portugal), Figueiredo, Mendonca (Varzim, Portugal), Miloy (InterClube), Zé Kalanga (Petro Atletico)

Strikers: Akwá (unattached), Andre Titi Buengo (Clermont Foot, France), Flávio (Al Ahli, Egypt), Love (AS Aviacao), Mantorras (Benfica, Portugal), Mateus (Gil Vicente, Portugal).

Australia

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan), Ante Covic (Hammarby)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast), Craig Moore (Newcastle United), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC),

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma), Tim Cahill (Everton), Scott Chipperfield (Basel), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers), Vince Grella (Parma), Stan Lazaridis (free agent), Josip Skoko (Stoke City on loan from Wigan Athletic), Mile Sterjovski (Basel), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol City)

Strikers: John Aloisi (Alaves), Harry Kewell (Liverpool), Archie Thompson (PSV Eindhoven), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough), Josh Kennedy (Dinamo Dreseden)

Trinidad and Tobago

Kelvin Jack (Dundee), Shaka Hislop (West Ham United), Clayton Ince (Coventry City); Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham), Cyd Gray (CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh), Marvin Andrews (Glasgow Rangers), Brent Sancho (Gillingham), Ian Cox (Gillingham), Atiba Charles (W Connection), Avery John (New England Revolution); Silvio Spann (unattached), Chris Birchall (Port Vale), Aurtis Whitley (CL Financial), Anthony Wolfe (Jabloteh), Densill Theobald (Falkirk), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Dwight Yorke (Sydney FC), Russell Latapy (Falkirk), Stern John (Coventry City), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Cornell Glen (LA Galaxy).

Ecuador

Goalkeepers: Edwin Villafuerte (Deportivo Quito), Cristian Mora (LDU), Damian Lanza (Aucas)

Defenders: Ivan Hurtado (Al Arabi, Qatar), Geovanny Espinoza (LDU), Ulises de la Cruz (Aston Villa), Paul Ambrossi (LDU), Neicer Reasco (LDU), Jorge Guagua (El Nacional), Jose Luis Perlaza (Olmedo)

Midfielders: Marlon Ayovi (Deportivo Quito), Edwin Tenorio (Barcelona), Edison Mendez (LDU), Patricio Urrutia (LDU), Cristian Lara (El Nacional), Segundo Castillo (El Nacional), Luis Antonio Valencia (Recreativo Huelva, Spain), Luis Fernando Saritama (Deportivo Quito).

Forwards: Cristian Benitez (El Nacional), Felix Borja (El Nacional), Carlos Tenorio (Al Sadd, Qatar), Agustin Delgado (LDU), Ivan Kaviedes (Argentinos Juniors, Argentina

The Angolan side is an interesting one, with many Portugese on it.

The Mexican one is very good.

Group A: Germany and Poland

Group B: Sweden and England

Group C: Argentina and my pick for surprise of the comeptiton, Ivory Coast. Even if Drogba sucks.

Group D: Mexico and Portugal

Group E: Italy and Czech Rep

Group F: Brazil and assuming they acclimatise, Japan

Group G: France and Korea

Group H: Ukraine and Spain

France have said Barthez is First Choice over Coupet, ranks up there with anything Sven's done.

Group A: Germany and Poland

Group B: Sweden and England

Group C: Argentina and Ivory Coast(Toure and Eboue should end up in the World Cup dream Team)

Group D: Mexico and Portugal

Group E: Italy and Czech Rep

Group F: Brazil and Croatia

Group G: France and Switzerland

Group H: Ukraine and Spain

Edit: Honest Question, has an African or Asian Goalie ever shone in a World Cup Tournament?

Guest CurryMan

Thomas N'Kono was great in the Italy WC 1990 he and Roger Milla was big parts in them going so fare in the tournament.

I would say that having Barthez as there first choice goalie is fare more bigger misstake then Sven has ever done when it comes to onfield things.

Japan

Goalkeepers - Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi (Jubilo Iwata), Yoichi Doi (FC Tokyo), Seigo Narazaki (Nagoya Grampus Eight)

Defenders - Tsuneyasu Miyamoto (Gamba Osaka), Alex (Urawa Reds), Yuji Nakazawa (Yokohama F-Marinos), Makoto Tanaka (Jubilo Iwata), Akira Kaji (Gamba Osaka), Keisuke Tsuboi (Urawa Reds), Yuichi Komano (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Koji Nakata (FC Basel)

Midfielders - Hidetoshi Nakata (Bolton Wanderers), Shunsuke Nakamura (Celtic), Shinji Ono (Urawa Reds), Junichi Inamoto (West Bromwich Albion), Takashi Fukunishi (Jubilo Iwata), Mitsuo Ogasawara (Kashima Antlers), Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka)

Forwards - Atsushi Yanagisawa (Kashima Antlers), Naohiro Takahara (Hamburg), Masashi Oguro (Grenoble), Keiji Tamada (Nagoya Grampus Eight) Seiichiro Maki (JEF United Chiba)

Spain

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Santiago Canizares (Valencia)

Defenders: Antonio Lopez (Atletico Madrid), Pablo Ibanez (Atletico Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanito (Real Betis), Asier del Horno (Chelsea), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia)

Midfielders: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Jose Antonio Reyes (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Joaquin (Real Betis), Luis Garcia (Liverpool), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), David Albelda (Valencia), Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Forwards: Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid), David Villa (Valencia)

Serbia and Montenegro

Goalkeepers: Dragoslav Jevric (Anakaraspor), Oliver Kovacevic (CSKA Sofia), Vladimir Stojkovic (Nantes)

Defenders: Goran Gavrancic (Dynamo Kiev), Ivica Dragutinovic (Sevilla), Mladen Krstajic (Schalke), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Milan Dudic (Red Star Belgrade), Nenad Djordjevic (Partizan Belgrade), Dusan Basta (Red Star Belgrade)

Midfielders: Dejan Stankovic (Inter Milan), Igor Duljaj (Shakhtar Donetsk), Predrag Djordjevic (Olympiakos Piraeus), Ognjen Koroman (Portsmouth), Albert Nadj (Partizan Belgrade), Sasa Ilic (Galatasaray), Zvonimir Vukic (Partizan Belgrade), Ivan Ergic (Basel)

Forwards: Savo Milosevic (Osasuna), Mateja Kezman (Atletico Madrid), Nikola Zigic (Red Star Belgrade), Danijel Ljuboja (VFB Stuttgart), Mirko Vucinic (Lecce)

Germany

Goalkeepers: Jens Lehmann (Arsenal), Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munich), Timo Hildebrand (VfB Stuttgart)

Defenders: Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Robert Huth (Chelsea), Marcell Jansen (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Hanover 96), Christoph Metzelder (Borussia Dortmund), Jens Nowotny (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich), Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Sebastian Kehl (Borussia Dortmund), Bernd Schneider (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Thomas Hitzlsperger (VfB Stuttgart), David Odonkor (Borussia Dortmund)

Forwards: Gerald Asamoah (Schalke 04), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen), Oliver Neuville (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Lukas Podolski (Cologne), Mike Hanke (Werder Bremen).

Switzerland

Goalkeepers: 1-Pascal Zuberbuehler (FC Basel), 21-Fabio Coltorti (Grasshoppers Zurich), 12-Diego Benaglio (CD Nacional)

Defenders: 2-Johan Djourou (Arsenal), 3-Ludovic Magnin (VfB Stuttgart), 4-Philippe Senderos (Arsenal), 13-Stephane Grichting (Auxerre), 17-Christoph Spycher (Eintracht Frankfurt), 19-Valon Behrami (Lazio), 20-Patrick Mueller (Olympique Lyon), 23-Philipp Degen (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders: 5-Xavier Margairaz (FC Zurich), 6-Johann Vogel (AC Milan), 7-Ricardo Cabanas (Cologne), 8-Raphael Wicky (Hamburg SV), 10-Daniel Gygax (Lille), 14-David Degen (FC Basel), 15-Blerim Dzemaili (FC Zurich), 16-Tranquillo Barnetta (Bayer Leverkusen),

Forwards: 9-Alex Frei (Rennnes), 11-Marco Streller (Cologne), 18-Mauro Lustrinelli (Sparta Prague), 22-Johan Vonlanthen (NAC Breda)

Czech Republic

Goalkeepers: Jaromir Blazek (Sparta Prague), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Antonin Kinsky (Saturn Ramenskoye)

Defenders: Zdenek Grygera (Ajax Amsterdam), Marek Jankulovski (AC Milan), Martin Jiranek (Spartak Moscow), Radoslav Kovac (Spartak Moscow), Pavel Mares (Zenit St Petersburg), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain), Tomas Ujfalusi (Fiorentina)

Midfielders: Tomas Galasek (Ajax Amsterdam), David Jarolim (Hamburg SV), Pavel Nedved (Juventus), Jaroslav Plasil (Monaco), Karel Poborsky (Ceske Budejovice), Jan Polak (Nuremberg), Tomas Rosicky (Borussia Dortmund), Vladimir Smicer (Girondins Bordeaux)

Forwards: Milan Baros (Aston Villa), Marek Heinz (Galatasaray), Jan Koller (Borussia Dortmund), Vratislav Lokvenc (Red Bull Salzburg), Jiri Stajner (Hanover 96).

Brazil

Goalkeepers: Dida (AC Milan), Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Rogerio Ceni (Sao Paulo)

Defenders: Cafu (AC Milan), Cicinho (Real Madrid), Lucio (Bayern Munich), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Cris (Olympique Lyon), Luisao (Benfica), Gilberto

Midfielders: Edmilson (Barcelona), Juninho Pernambucano (Olympique Lyon), Emerson (Juventus), Ze Roberto (Bayern Munich), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Kaka (AC Milan), Ricardinho (Corinthians)

Forwards: Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Robinho (Real Madrid), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Adriano (Inter Milan), Fred (Olympique Lyon).

Ognjen Koroman (Portsmouth)

Pompe have a player at the world cup! Woohoo!

My picks:

Group A:

Germany, Poland

Group B:

Sweden, England

Group C:

Holland, Ivory Coast

Group D:

Portugal, Mexico

Group E:

Czech Republic, Italy

Group F:

Brazil, Croatia

Group G:

France, South Korea

Group H:

Ukraine, Spain

From that, I think an England/Brazil final. England may be better off coming second in their group to avoid Brazil.

Italy

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio), Marco Amelia (Livorno)

Defenders: Cristian Zaccardo (Palermo), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus), Marco Materazzi (Inter Milan), Fabio Grosso (Palermo), Massimo Oddo (Lazio), Andrea Barzagli (Palermo).

Midfielders: Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Simone Perrotta (AS Roma), Simone Barone (Palermo).

Forwards: Luca Toni (Fiorentina), Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus), Francesco Totti (AS Roma), Alberto Gilardino (AC Milan), Filippo Inzaghi (AC Milan), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Udinese).

Ivory Coast

Goalkeepers: Jean-Jacques Tizie (Esperance Tunis/TUN), Boubacar Barry Copa (KSK Beveren/BEL), Gerard Gnanhouan (Montpellier/FRA).

Defenders: Cyrille Domoraud (Creteil/FRA/D2), Blaise Kouassi (ES Troyes/FRA), Abdoulaye Meite (Marseille/FRA), Etienne Arthur Boka (Strasbourg/FRA), Abib Kolo Toure (Arsenal/ENG), Emmanuel Eboue (Arsenal/ENG), Marc Zoro (FC Messina/ITA).

Midfielders: Didier Zokora (St Etienne/FRA), Emerse Fae (Nantes/FRA), Kanga Gauthier Akale (Auxerre/FRA), Romaric Ndri Koffi (Le Mans/FRA), Gnegneri Yaya Toure (Olympiakos/GRE), Gilles Yapi Yapo (Young Boys/SUI), Guy Roland Demel (Hambourg/GER).

Strikers: Bakari Kone (Nice/FRA), Didier Drogba (Chelsea/ENG), Arouna Kone (PSV Eindhoven/NED), Bonaventure Kalou (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Abdoul Kader Keita (Lille/FRA), Aruna Dindane (Lens/FRA).

Ukraine

Goalkeepers: Oleksandr Shovkovsky (Dinamo Kiev), Bohdan Shust (Shakhtyor Donetsk), Andrei Pyatov (Vorskla Poltava)

Defenders: Andriy Nesmachny (Dinamo Kiev), Serghiy Fedorov (Dinamo Kiev), Vladimir Yezersky (Dniepropetrovsk), Andrei Rusol (Dniepropetrovsk), Dmitro Chygrynskiy (Shakhtyor Donetsk), Vladislav Vashchuk (Dinamo Kiev), Vycheslav Svidersky (Arsenal Kiev)

Midfielders: Anatoliy Tymoschuk (Shakhtyor Donetsk), Oleg Shelayev (Dniepropetrovsk), Oleg Gusev (Dinamo Kiev), Serguei Rebrov (Dinamo Kiev), Andriy Husin (Samara/RUS), Serguei Nazarenko (Dniepropetrovsk), Maksim Kalynychenko (Spartak Moscou/RUS), Ruslan Rotan (Dinamo Kiev)

Forwards: Andrei Shevchenko (AC Milan/ITA), Andrej Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen/ALE), Andriy Vorobey (Shakhtyor Donetsk), Olexiy Belik (Shakhtyor Donetsk), Artem Milevskyi (Dinamo Kiev)