TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

The Spelling bee

So who else is watching the spelling bee. Fuck every thing else on TV right now, nothing beats the Spelling bee.

The best looking one just went out, which is a shame because Spelling Bee's could use a Anna K type for the "sport".

I stopped caring about spelling bees in the second grade.

ESPN treating this like a serious sporting event with a Chris Connolly piece airing on SC and ESPNNEWS is really fucking pathetic.

I was just flipping through the channels and saw the OCD kid miss a word. I thought that was pretty funny, but then again I don't see how nerds spelling words can be riveting TV to anyone besides older nerds.

Are you kidding me? This is the world series for nerds. If you can be excited about fat boys playing poker, you can appreciate the hard work from these young kids.

Besides the reactions when they lose is always classic.

That's another thing, the popularity of the movies proves it wasn't an awkward schedule move from ABC and ESPN. I mean, more people care about this because there is an actual skill involved then fucking Paintball.

Are you kidding me? This is the world series for nerds. If you can be excited about fat boys playing poker, you can appreciate the hard work from these young kids.

Besides the reactions when they lose is always classic.

But I can play along and learn something from the fatties playing poker. These dweeblings, or anyone watching, will never use any of these words in regular conversation. I might learn that A10 suited vs something like 8s is a coinflip and apply that to my weekly poker games later on in life. Knowing what croquignole is and how to spell it is useless however. Any of the classic eliminations will be on SportsCenter later on tonight anyway, and really what are the odds that another lamer faints?

Considering that these people end up being doctors and medical researchers, having a vast knowledge isn't bad thing to develop at a young age.

At least the Math one requires calculations and quick thought. This is just forcing a kid from the age of 5 to try and memorize the dictionary. It's child abuse damnit!

The blonde chick strikes me as an uptight bitch. You gotta appreciate how the first prime time Spelling Bee ends up with 3 girls. Sarah Hooks will probably be a cutie when she's 18.

Now it's down to 2. The uptight blonde bitch and the laid back canuck.

Come on UPTIGHT BITCH!!!!

I got out of three hours of junior high by faking my way through five rounds of the spelling bee. My classmates that where in the Bee with me, kept cramming me with words after they got eliminated and could look at the list, just so they didn't have to go to class.

Good times.

You Canadians are such homers :)

Like you wouldn't mark if that annoying screaming girl from New York the late 90's was back in it. That bitch was on Rosie, Lettermen, the Today Show, her mother was singing the praises of homeschooling.

Way to go, your daughter can spell but has no social skills. YAY!!!

Like you wouldn't mark if that annoying screaming girl from New York the late 90's was back in it. That bitch was on Rosie, Lettermen, the Today Show, her mother was singing the praises of homeschooling.

I wasn't proud of that chick. The uptight bitch is from Jersey, so even if she wins she's still from the armpit of America.

What's with the Canuck getting all these French words? The fix is in! J/K

I wasn't proud of that chick. The uptight bitch is from Jersey, so even if she wins she's still from the armpit of America.

Good or I'd have to hunt you down and pimp slap you. Man, my hatred for that girl knows no bounds. Every time I hear the word Spelling Bee her screaming letters out like a banshee from a hellbound dimension pops into my head.

She's probably doing cocaine someplace, and spelling words for crack money.

She's probably doing cocaine someplace, and spelling words for crack money.

She's a senior at Michigan in medical school. Kind of a different road she took.

Guest JustPassinBy

Arent these girls like 12-13 years old?

Thats too young to be attractive.

However, I used to watch Quiz Bowl or HI-IQ on PBS.

Some foxy high school babes on that.

Guest Princess Leena

Don't knock the spelling bee. I came so very close to making it to Washington in 8th grade. And won my school's bee 3 times. This kids are extremely smart, and puts in tons of time and effort to get as good as they do. And like we said, most of them end up very successful in life.

It's hardly memorizing the dictionary, either.

Don't knock the spelling bee. I came so very close to making it to Washington in 8th grade. And won my school's bee 3 times. This kids are extremely smart, and puts in tons of time and effort to get as good as they do. And like we said, most of them end up very successful in life.

I'm calling bullshit.

Being able to spell requires little actual intelligence, if any at all. Its a memory test, nothing more. Arrange the 26 symbols in the same way they were first presented to you. No reasoning, deduction, or strategy is involved.

There are autistic kids who can't tie their own shoes who are excellent spellers.

I'm calling bullshit.

Being able to spell requires little actual intelligence, if any at all. Its a memory test, nothing more. Arrange the 26 symbols in the same way they were first presented to you. No reasoning, deduction, or strategy is involved.

There are autistic kids who can't tie their own shoes who are excellent spellers.

Even then, it's one hell of a memory test considering the number of words that could be used and the general wackiness of the English language. If it really is pure memorization, you still have to appreciate the mental capacity a person has to possess to succeed in the competition, especially a person that isn't even in high school.

Not intelligent? Hardly the case. Not socially apt? A different argument altogether.

Memorization isn't really an accurate way to determine one's intelligence. Sure, someone with a photographic memory will do better on tests, but then again most exams in fields other than math and science isn't anything besides a memory exercise. If you gave me a week to study a bunch of chapters in a field that is nothing but dates and places or names I've never seen before like something related to history, or art, or music etc, I'm sure I could memorize it and do very well on a multiple choice exam. Now if I needed to learn something that required heavy calculations, I'd clearly need more time to get ready. On one test I'd get an A or a B, on the other I'd be lucky to get a D. It doesn't make me more or less intelligent, I can just "cheat" my way through a test where all I have to do is memorize facts and figures without actually knowing what they might mean.

Spelling at that level is nothing but practicing obscure words in the dictionary ad nauseum and memorizing the correct spelling. I won multiple grade level spelling bees at my old school, so much so that after I won the 6th grade one when I was in 3rd grade, I was eventually "disqualified" from them so other kids could eventually win. I had no desire to try out for the Scripps Nat'l one though because I didn't want to devote years of my life to learning how to spell just about every possible word in the dictionary, even though I probably could have made a real push to do it over the 5 years between 3rd and 8th grade.

As someone else said, an autistic kid could do exceedingly well at a spelling bee, but can struggle with basic things that require little, if any actual intelligence.