TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Thread Zeppelin

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Of all the songs I could commit myself to always singing along with, why is it "Dancing Days"? Even the riff, which I do as a prolonged "daaaaaaaa" and just change the pitch.

Anyway, I'm just listening to Houses of the Holy, since I tend to rekindle my Zeppelin love this time of year (and that's another thread I'm about to start), and this is really an awesome album. One of the all-time greats.

"Houses" is my third favorite album from Zep. My favorite is "III", with "Graffiti" being my second favorite.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

III is very good, but HotH is my favorite because it represents dipping their feet into progressive rock (without being as bloated as Physical Graffiti) and expanding their parameters beyond folk and amplified blues. Good old "No Quarter."

I like particular songs with Zeppelin but their albums, as a whole, do nothing for me. If forced to choose an LZ album to listen to, in its entirety, I would probably go with Physical Graffiti, though I think I'd rather listen to "When The Levee Breaks" on repeat for 40 minutes.

I like particular songs with Zeppelin but their albums, as a whole, do nothing for me. If forced to choose an LZ album to listen to, in its entirety, I would probably go with Physical Graffiti, though I think I'd rather listen to "When The Levee Breaks" on repeat for 40 minutes.

I find the opposite to be true for me. I loved the songs, but it wasn't until I discovered the albums in their entirety that I truly "got" Led Zeppelin. I vacillate from time to time on my favorite album, but III is probably the most consistently great album they did, although I hate the inclusion of "Immigrant Song" as the opener. It just feels out of place on what I would call the "soft" Led Zeppelin album.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Try flip-flopping "Going to California" with "Immigrant Song." I've proposed a similar flip-flop in the past: "The Crunge" to Physical Graffiti so it can be amongst its experimental brethren and "Houses of the Holy" so that it can be the title track.

Zeppelin III is my favorite Zeppelin, but I'm not sure that I think it's their best (if that makes sense). III always reminds me of good times (sitting around campfires, clapping along to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp), and I think that gives it a very positive spin.

The self title is also a very strong album IMO that has not been mentioned.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

The debut? Oh yeah, that kicks a lot of ass. "Good Times, Bad Times" isn't the strongest opener they ever wrote, but it's still passable. The sudden dynamic changes in "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" will always be fantastic to me. The church organ intro on "Your Time Is Gonna Come" is really awesome and foreboding, "Black Mountain Side" is a cool little folksy modal thing, and "Dazed and Confused" is a classic, though that's one that's kinda been ruined by other people for me.

The Brown Bomber is the one I never liked.

If you cut off all exposure to "Stairway to Heaven" for a few years, coming back to it allows you to realize IV really is the best Zep.

I second this.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

I've gone with the debut as my favorite since I ever heard the band.

Yeah, I think Houses probably is their best album. That opening 1 - 2 - 3 punch and of course No Quarter really cannot be beaten.

Houses of the Holy is a great album to have sex to until No Quarter comes on, and then things get kinda weird. But yeah it's an amazing album, and I definitely echo the sentiment that, as awesome and classic the hits on their own are, Zeppelin albums listened to all the way through are what make the band. I'd disagree with moving The Crunge off of Houses because it's got D'yer Mak'er on it as well so it's got that 'Zeppelin does funk' and then 'Zeppelin does reggae' thing going on.

I've got I through Houses on Vinyl (ok I stole them from my old man) and I'd also put IV at the top of the heap but they're all amazing. I'm not as crazy about Physical Graffiti as some people (still really like it though) and you can't really put Presence and In Through the Out Door up there with the others.

Houses, definetely probably a fav of mine, III I love too, damn me for going with the flow, "The Rain Song" and "That's the Way" are 2 of my favorite songs, the scene in Almost Famous, set to that song is beautiful.

I was listening to Houses of the Holy today, and I think that if they left out "The Crunge", then it would have been a perfect album.

Listening to Houses of the Holy right now. I'm really only familiar with II, III, IV,, this, and some assorted parts of Physical Graffiti. This is probably my favorite, but III is awfully close. However, I haven't listened to IV in years, so maybe I'll have the same post-"Stairway" isolation experience as Incandenza.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Why do you guys like III so much? Granted, I haven't given it a spin in a long time, but I remember it being pretty middling.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

"Since I've Been Loving You" is cool, everyone loves "Tangerine" and "Immigrant Song," even though the latter is out of place here, "Out on the Tiles" is an underrated little song, and the rest is pleasant enough. I just don't like Led Zeppelin II much at all. That's the one I'll never care for.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Oh, man. Far from it. "No Quarter" or "Achilles Last Stand" is their best song. "When The Levee Breaks," too. "D'yer Maker"? Don't be an asshole.

Zeppelin should have never recorded D'yer Mak'er

Their best song.

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Anyways, if I was to rank the albums by my enjoyment while listening to them and not the overall quality, it would go something like this: III, Presence, Physical Graffiti, II, Houses of the Holy, IV, I, In Throught the Out Door.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

You ENJOY Presence? More than most? HOW? What is there to enjoy after the first song? Nothing, that's what. Throwaway album.

At least In Through the Out Door has "Fool in the Rain." And fuck it, I sorta like "Carouselambra" at times.