Jump to content

Your Paragon of Virtue

Members
  • Posts

    5493
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Your Paragon of Virtue

  1. Forget about Wes Sims, he couldn't get the paper work done in time. Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Bas' replacement... EDIT: Provided he has a clean bill of health of course. They've already come to agreements.
  2. Okay, I remember that Keegstra case from Law class. The whole thing stemmed from a very Anti-semitic teacher who tried to deny the holocaust to his students and other such nonsense. The Supreme Court's decision was essentially to make sure that students aren't taught by whackjobs and the like. You wanna say that shit in private? You will be *free* to use whatever *speech* you want. So you support his right to teach his kids why the Jews are bad? And YOU are a teacher too? Wonderful.
  3. That thing Y2Jerk posted about Freedom of Speech not existing in Canada was stupid for a few reasons. 1) Exaggerate much? Even if true, expanding that we can't give off "hate speech" to mean that we have no freedom of speech (which sounds really bad) is pretty fucking dumb. 2) Wikipedia is a legitimate source now? Christ, I didn't know my country didn't have freedom of speech or proper use of technology. Why didn't someone tell me? I bet Czech was behind this. He's conservative AND young. That shit don't mix well together.
  4. Thuggin' it hard in...GRAIN VALLEY, FUCKING MISSOURI???
  5. Yeap. That fight woulda been wayyyy one-sided in early 2003, maybe even in 2004. Rampage is like the worst possible style matchup, when his heart is in it anyway. Now, Lindland's toughness combined with Rampage's lack thereof (or so we think) makes this competitive.
  6. The one in WCW/NWO Revenge, where the Giant is unbeatable and does those flips after you wrench his arm thinking you've won. I love that game.
  7. It is available, WFA is the name of the event. Might as well make this the official thread I guess. Nobody really cared to since there hasn't been much interest. The card seems to be one-sided fights (Miller, Salaverry, Lyoto), and fights that should be one-sided (Ricco, Rampage). That's the appeal for me, seeing my favourites actually get good again. Rampage will probably be back with a force, but not Ricco. Fucking fatass.
  8. Newton's subs are really good, especially on top where he will be in this fight. Depends on which Newton shows up, the guy has a good chin, combined with solid wrestling, great subs and amazing athleticism. I would pick him normally but, he's a weight class above what he's used to, and he's been inactive while Melvin has been on a tear. Newton with no inactivity would win this handily since Manhoef's grappling is questionable. It would be like Carlos vs. Pele most likely, who is a much better striker than Manhoef. Carlos was also pwning Anderson on the ground before the standup, and Anderson is a much better grappler than Manhoef. I've seen Carlos recently at the gym, no way that guy can cut to 170. He's gotta be above 200 at least.
  9. He has to take him down first for that to happen. Babalu's a very good wrestler, he placed third in a Brazilian National Championship after taking it on like two weeks notice, whereas wrestlers train for months normally. But Chuck's takedown defense and ability to get up is unreal
  10. lol. Dana White's TUF-happy booking bothers me to no end, but even I gotta admit that he's managed to sneak in a big time international fighter here and there out of the blue (Marquardt, both Silva's, and expect more).
  11. DRH's post just made me realize something. Fedor would laugh at this thread. His training regimen consists of running, lifting people, and eating borsht. Seems to work though.
  12. Don't ever compare Chuck Liddell to Roy Jones Jr... Roy Jones Jr has the phyiscally grifts to allow him to keep his hands that low, Liddell doesn't have a quarter the speed Roy Jones in his prime did. Add into the fact that Roy Jones never faced a great boxer in his prime. My point was that low hands and the like doesn't necessarily mean bad boxing, although Roy Jones' insane hand speed did make up for it. But you're right, this is pointless. You shouldn't bring up your personal skills though because like you said it is pointless. But you're saying his boxing is bad which is why he would have problems with Silva. My point is, just because someone has great cred in another combat sport, doesn't mean it equates to MMA. Who cares if Vitor would beat him in a boxing match? If he gets his ass knocked down in the fight, then clearly his hands aren't as good overall as Chuck's, regardless of how much better a boxer he is in a boxing ring. If anything, Chuck beating him in the standup in a real fight proves my point of how a great background doesn't necessarily imply it will work better in a real fight. Vitor has the better boxing credentials and is more technical in that sense. Guess what happened when they fought a fight almost entirely on the feet? Chuck beat him convincingly. Cael Sanderson would own Chuck in wrestling. Put Cael in a fight with him in MMA. Chuck isn't as good an amateur wrestler, but for some reason I don't think Cael would take him down once. Do you see what I'm trying to say here?
  13. Going by what was said previously, there seems to be lots of praise for guys with legit fighting backgrounds, and it is automatically assumed that those skills make them better than someone else in MMA. There are too many instances of this not being true, and so many times have pro boxers been knocked out, BJJ Blackbelts been tapped out, and world class amateur wrestlers been unable to land a takedown or have gotten taken down themselves. People don't realize that there are so many extraneous factors that perhaps, since Chuck or Wanderlei have been training for MMA for all those years, that that might be the reason why they didn't bother with a single art combat sport. Don Frye was a pro boxer for crying out loud. Royce Alger was a few points away from being the freestyle world champion in wrestling and his MMA career is known for being one of the biggest disappointments. Roberto Traven was tapped out by Mir in a minute, a guy who had trouble with British Brawler Ian Freeman. Vitor Belfort was a pro boxer and Chuck knocked him on his ass a couple of times. Don Frye the pro boxer was getting pwned by a friggin street fighter in Tank Abbott. Who has had better wrestling in MMA, Alger or Tito Ortiz, the Junior College wannabe? Matt Hughes is a wrestler with some submission training who pwned the BJJ 4th degree blackbelt on the ground. EHME, how many amateur boxing matches have you had? You're not pro, but you think you're gonna outbox a guy whose prepared his hands and chin for guys much tougher than you for seven years, as well as having an extensive kickboxing resume before that? Pshh. Dude, I know you like to brag about your ass kicking skills on the internet CronoT styles, but you're in over your head if you think looking good in the practice gym would mean you could outbox someone with as much experience as The Iceman. EDIT: I should probably expand this into an article, but really, who reads the front page?
  14. If Chuck were to enter boxing he wouldn't have that stance. He adjusts for MMA and keeps his hands low because it helps him with his takedown defence. I'm sure I could shoot in on Matt Hughes if he wrestled standing straight up like he does in a freestyle wrestling match. But this isn't boxing or wrestling, this is fighting. Roy Jones Jr. used to have a pretty wide open stance when he boxed too, as well as keeping his hands low. I doubt you could outbox him.
  15. If you really wanna hear Ken let out his "feelings" listen to the latest beatdown show on Sherdog. He really lets out how he feels.
  16. UFC was on ESPN today announcing the GSP/Hughes rematch. Go to ESPN.com and you can see a streaming video clip of this segment.
  17. Yo LOTC what's the context of your avatar? Who is that trying to scare Hunt anyway? There was a WFA Countdown show. It must have done the trick, because before I couldn't give a shit, and now I'm interested. Really good piece, since they spent most of the attention on the fighters. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Mostly done on the main event, but that's to be expected. They're expecting a half million buys and upwards of 17000 tickets sold. They're gonna be disappointed.
  18. Carrot Top looks like a Tranny. I landed on the moon once. True story.
  19. Decent wrestling background is a deceiving way of putting it. His takedown defense is world-class in terms of MMA. If you're an olympic level wrestler taking him on in an MMA fight you will not take him down. You need some striking to set it up. Randy Couture, who whilst not an olympic wrestler, was a national class wrestler who was an olympic alternate in Greco Roman. In their last two fights he had trouble taking Liddell down even though he's a skilled striker himself. A straight-up double leg takedown will NOT work unless you set it up with something. Liddell's sprawl/ability to get back up are unmatched. Also, Chuck's striking has become much more proficient in recent years after being fine-tuned through much time spent training for MMA. A lot of people put too much stock into backgrounds. A guy can be an olympic gold medallist wrestler but if he sits on his ass for five years doing something else, he won't beat a guy who just started training seriously in those five years. Wrestling is the type of sport where you have to keep up with it all the time. I won't even get into the fact that Kurt Angle's body is beyond repair.
  20. I know the Japanese don't normally like the cut, but I figured since he's done it at the ROTR PPV he wouldn't mind doing it again. Has anyone seen his fight against Shields? I heard he should have gotten the nod.
  21. I think Lushus got perfect save for maybe the Minogue answer. I'd answer the exact same except I'd put Jean Claude for that particular question.
  22. Well I said that because they both seem like world-class grapplers who love the top game, but Terrell has shown to be more offensive than Shields who stalls like mad. How would Okami do if they let him cut to WW? Why doesn't he do that?
  23. So Tong, Yushin Okami was capable of cutting to 175 right? He also lost to Shields? So he's small and lost to a 170 fighter with an arguably less effective style of what Terrell does, although the decision was admittedly disputed. Why should I think he has a legitimate chance to make noise in this division, and what are his chances of beating Terrell? Strengths, weaknesses?
  24. Heh, when I scrolled down this thread at work it actually blocked that picture.
  25. Shonie Carter at 185 is a can. Jorge Rivera is a decent win I guess. Leben is actually one of the few good ones. He was just in over his head with Anderson.
×
×
  • Create New...