TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LaParkaMarka

Angel

Well that's different than actually being his mother.

I can't believe I forgot to set up to record again. Arrgh I'm going to have to catch this season on reruns. When's Angel going to be picked up in syndication like Buffy?

Guest areacode212
When's Angel going to be picked up in syndication like Buffy?

I believe that the general rule is once the show hits 100 episodes, it can hit syndication, but I think it only applies to broadcast TV, not cable (meaning that it's possible that FX can start showing Angel episodes). So...if this is the final season of Angel (it still hasn't been picked up for next season), we may never see it in syndication.

I believe that the general rule is once the show hits 100 episodes, it can hit syndication, but I think it only applies to broadcast TV, not cable (meaning that it's possible that FX can start showing Angel episodes). So...if this is the final season of Angel (it still hasn't been picked up for next season), we may never see it in syndication.

It should still end up on DVD though. Season 2 comes out in September and, I would assume, that trend will continue with another set coming out every 6 months - much like Buffy.

I still haven't bought Season 1 of Angel. I don't have the money right now to be buying $50 DVD sets.

I still want to get The Shield Season 1, Buffy Season 1, and Angel Season 1

Guest Cavi

TNT has the syndication rights for all four seasons. Word is that it's going to be debuting in their fall linuep, most likely in a two hour block (I assume they will be grouping it in with a big couple hour block with Charmed).

TNT has the syndication rights for all four seasons. Word is that it's going to be debuting in their fall linuep, most likely in a two hour block (I assume they will be grouping it in with a big couple hour block with Charmed).

TNT ... we're anti-wrestling but pro vampire-cursed-with-a-soul

Guest Mole
Is anyone else a lil disturbed by the oedipusness Joss has unleashed this season on both shows?  First Cordy and Connor and now Spike, good lord man every one is a dirty motherfucker on this show.. Freud's on line one and he's scared...REAL scared... and coked up...REAL coked up.

Heh, I was just thinking about that myself last night after watching Buffy. It is indeed a bit on the disturbing side of things.

What do you mean by that?

Is anyone else a lil disturbed by the oedipusness Joss has unleashed this season on both shows?  First Cordy and Connor and now Spike, good lord man every one is a dirty motherfucker on this show.. Freud's on line one and he's scared...REAL scared... and coked up...REAL coked up.

Heh, I was just thinking about that myself last night after watching Buffy. It is indeed a bit on the disturbing side of things.

abnormal, boarderline sexual (if not overly so) relationships with mother figures

Guest KingOfOldSchool

The story about Oedipus, for anyone curious. There are more resources out there though, with different versions of the story. But they usually keep the major points.

For the short version. He was born to a royal couple in Thebes. The couple was told that he would grow up to kill his father and marry his mother. The couple ordered for him to be killed by a worker. The worker took pity, gave him to a couple in Corinth and was named Oedipus.

Oedipus grew up, and found out that he was adopted. The oracle he goes to however, reveals the same prophecy as before. Still not receiving a clear answer on whether he was adopted but disturbed by this latest news, he declines to go back to Corinth, which he still believes is his rightful home, and instead travels to Thebes.

On the way there, he meets a traveler and his party. Oedipus kills the group after a confrontation. He reaches Thebes, solves a problem for the town and is granted the throne, along with the hand of, you guessed it, a widowed wife of one of the men killed by Oedipus. Years pass and the truth is revealed. The wife/mother can't live with it, and thus she kills herself. Meanwhile Oedipus feels that he has to be punished, for he cursed the killer of the King of Thebes, not knowing that it was him all along.... along with seeing what no man should ever see. And so he rips his eyes out and forces himself into exile.

---

I left some stuff out, of course. But thousands of years after the story was written, Freud devised the 'Oedipus Complex.' Connor's story bears a similarity to Oedipus, which didn't really come to mind until now... He tried to kill Angel, though unsucessfully. Then slept with his love interest/the mother figure to Connor.

...Wasn't that the story acted out by Buffy, Willow, and Xander in season 1's talent show episode?

BTW, I hate that ep (mostly because I've seen that and "Ted" 100x more than any other episode) but the closing credits scene where Willow forgets her lines in the play and just runs off stage is priceless!

Guest areacode212
...Wasn't that the story acted out by Buffy, Willow, and Xander in season 1's talent show episode?

BTW, I hate that ep (mostly because I've seen that and "Ted" 100x more than any other episode) but the closing credits scene where Willow forgets her lines in the play and just runs off stage is priceless!

Yep, it is. I love that episode, mainly for "I don't get it. What is it, avant-garde?". Armin Shimerman was so awesome on that show.

BTW, if anyone wants to read the entire Sophoclean trilogy, all 3 of them are here (Antigone is my favorite):

http://www.literatureproject.com/oedipus/

Guest Lil Naitch

It should still end up on DVD though. Season 2 comes out in September and, I would assume, that trend will continue with another set coming out every 6 months - much like Buffy.

I thought you only needed either 3 seasons or around 73 episodes? I remember reading about the battle to keep the original Star Trek on the air for at least 73 episodes so it could go into syndication.

And I wish TNT would pick up Buffy from FX so they could have both of them on the same damn network again.

Guest Mole

abnormal, boarderline sexual (if not overly so) relationships with mother figures

Ohh okay. Thanks

Guest areacode212
I thought you only needed either 3 seasons or around 73 episodes? I remember reading about the battle to keep the original Star Trek on the air for at least 73 episodes so it could go into syndication.

And I wish TNT would pick up Buffy from FX so they could have both of them on the same damn network again.

That may have been true in 1969, but nowadays, the magic number is 100:

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/scg-faq.html

Also, for those of you who have always wanted to see Fred half-naked, I scanned in her pics from the latest FHM:

http://www.geocities.com/junimitsu/acker.html

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Pfft, that's nothing, I have NUDE pictures of her...

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

wb-02.jpg

Careful, she might give you a boner.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Oh Boo yourself. Dopey, Quirky, unassuming Fred is 100x's better than Slutty, dirty, whory Fred.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Sorry... Sorry...I'm... I'm Sorry... *sigh*... I guess I just miss her, that's all.

Lilah1a.jpg

I like the dopey, quirky Fred too. If I saw Dopey, quirky Fred showing that much skin I'd faint. It's just something about that timid girl showing her naughty side while still looking like the dopey, quirky girl that's sexy.

Okay I better stop typing before I look like even more of a freak.

Guest Cavi

I'm a big mark for Fred (though not as much as I am for Willow).

Quirky, geeky girls like those two >>> Girls like Cordy circa early Buffy years

Guest RavishingRickRudo

You know, if one were... bold... enough. One would set up a tournament and have all the Whedon Women go at it... If one were bold enough.

Lilah vs. Jenny

Willow vs. Fred

Faith vs. Buffy

Anya vs. Kate

Kennedy vs. Tara

Darla vs. Dru

Cordy vs. Harmony

Gwen vs. Glory

Not saying that I am bold enough or anything....

You know, if one were... bold... enough. One would set up a tournament and have all the Whedon Women go at it... If one were bold enough.

Lilah vs. Jenny

Willow vs. Fred

Faith vs. Buffy

Anya vs. Kate

Kennedy vs. Tara

Darla vs. Dru

Cordy vs. Harmony

Gwen vs. Glory

Not sure if I would set up the brackets like that but let's see how it turns out...

Opening Round:

Jenny over Lilah

Willow over Fred (very close)

Faith over Buffy

Anya over Kate

Kennedy over Tara

Dru over Darla

Cordy over Harmony

Glory over Gwen

Quarter Finals:

Willow over Jenny

Faith over Anya

Kennedy over Dru (close)

Glory over Cordy

Semi Finals:

OMG ... MOTY ... um ... who wins this one ... okay, here's what happens ... they stop fighting and just start making out ... both are out of the tournament

Glory over Kennedy

Guest Cavi

My take on the women of the Whedonverse:

Opening Round

Jenny over Lilah

Willow over Fred

Buffy over Faith

Anya over Kate

Kennedy over Tara

Dru over Darla

Cordy over Harmony

Glory over Gwen

A couple heated battles in this round with brainiacs Will and Fred getting into it. Former running vamps Dru and Darla also brought the house down in an exciting, effulgent London Street Fight.

Quarter Finals

Willow over Jenny

Buffy over Anya

Dru over Kennedy

Cordy over Glory

Clean victories all around, except for Buffy who had a bit of trouble with Anya, as the former vengeance demon's literal interpretations of Buffy's retorts threw the Slayer off of her game.

Semi Finals

Willow over Buffy

Dru over Cordy

Decisive wins for Willow and Drusilla.

Finals

Willow over Dru

Willow takes the crown, but not without controversy as Fat Willow did a run-in with a steel chair late in the match (well, it was more like a walk-in as she was already blown up by the time she made her way out from the backstage area). After finally making her way into the ring, Fat Will swung the chair at Good Willow but her ham-like hands were not enough to hold onto said chair. Good Willow cast Fugilis and froze her uncharismatic counterpart. Picking up the equalizer, Dru swung at Will, but she dodged the vicious attack, sending the chair right into the other Willow, shattering her in the process. Good Will then proceeded to stake Drusilla.

Guest fazzle

Ok, and now for my take:

Lilah over Jenny (closest first round match)

Willow over Fred

Faith over Buffy

Anya over Kate

Tara over Kennedy

Darla over Dru

Cordy over Harmony

Gwen over Glory

Quarter Finals

Lilah over Willow

Faith over Anya

Tara over Darla

Gwen over Cordy