TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LaParkaMarka

Angel

Guest raptor

That's an interesting angle, Rudo. I thought that it had something to do with the Evil, but never thought of it that way...

Guest Cavi

No better thread for this, so I will post this here.

I got the Season Three DVD today. It looks like, yet again, they messed up the aspect ratio. I don't know what's wrong - like most of the extras are in widescreen, yet all the episodes are not (even though this was the season they started airing in widescreen).

As for the extras, they are quite good. Outtakes, the "Cordy" sitcom that was filmed yet not all shown in the "Birthday" ep, and some screening tests (Amy Acker's is awesome; quite a fun little scene they put together with her, Wes, and Gunn).

Guest areacode212
No better thread for this, so I will post this here.

I got the Season Three DVD today. It looks like, yet again, they messed up the aspect ratio. I don't know what's wrong - like most of the extras are in widescreen, yet all the episodes are not (even though this was the season they started airing in widescreen).

Do you live in the U.S., Cavi? If so, how much do you generally pay for the R2 DVDs?

Guest The Hamburglar

Here in the UK we've just got up to the Rain of Fire episode. Properly cool, and the Beast performed quite the beatdown on our fearless heroes. Connor/Cordy...no. Just no. Ewwwwwww. Great episode, though. From what I've read Angel only gets better from here on in. Although we're quite a few eps behind you Yanks, I can't say I envy the massive long breaks you have to endure because of your retarded sweeps system. That's what's great about living in Britain - we get the very best American TV without the excessive amount of commercials and we get to watch every show's season straight through from beginning to end. A side-effect of this, however, is to turn 24 into a substance akin to speed. I've been enjoying Buffy as well, despite disliking series 6. We're up to the Conversations with Dead People ep in that. Great foreboding, but I've heard that it slows down a bit too much after that.

We're up to the Conversations with Dead People ep in that. Great foreboding, but I've heard that it slows down a bit too much after that.

Season 7 is actually one of the best they've had thus far. It does slow down to some effect - just to establish what really is going on and what Buffy and the Scoobies are facing - but it doesn't take away from the quality of the season.

Guest Cavi
Do you live in the U.S., Cavi? If so, how much do you generally pay for the R2 DVDs?

Yeah, I live in the US. It costs a fair amount to get the DVDs. Usually around like $70, but sometimes my older sister will cover the bill. I'm fine with that price though, as I would rather not wait months and months for the US releases.

Cavi, do your DVDs have the "previously on" and "next on" clips?

None of the DVDs have that stuff. Pisses me off quite a bit, especially in the episodes when they show stuff from old episodes in the "previously on..." bits.

Edit: I believe I actually did see a "previously on..." when I was watching the Angel Season Three DVD the other day. I will double check sometime.

Guest EQ

I really wish fox would put those clips on their DVDs. That's one thing that I love about HBO DVDs.

I agree. Sometimes Buffy's "Previously" clips go back a number of seasons and it really helps remind you of what's happened.

I admire the HBO DVD's for putting them on their discs. An even nicer feature was at the end of Oz Season 2 on DVD, they include a preview for the 3rd Season.

Dames

Guest EQ

The only thing I wish the HBO dvds did was have the "previously on" and "next on" things available via the episode menu AND as part of the episode itself. For example, you start the episode and before the show starts, the "previously on" clip starts. If you feel like skipping it, it is its own chapter and you can just skip it. Same with "next on". It will come on right after the credits roll and you can skip right to them by advancing chapters. Not a big deal, but it would make it a little easier for watching a few episodes back to back. Plus, that's the way you would have experienced it if you were watching it on TV. I mark out for that.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Have I mentioned lately how much I really fucking hate Cordy being the Big Bad this year?

The show was good, but it's really hard to swallow not knowing why Cordy has turned evil. I was quite comfortable in not knowing the beasts motives because the Beast was a new character and fucking kicked ass... Cordy did a heel turn and now no one has a fuckin clue as to what is goin on. I like the whole 'manipulating Connor' thing because it makes a whole lot of sense, but for what?! This isn't good suspense either, this is 'hurry the fuck up and get to the point' impatience.

Faith rules it hard. She has so many more fuckin layers than Buffy and Wes is DA MAN once again.

Guest EQ

Cordy better be under the control of "The First".

As an aside, I really don't like Cordy's character nowadays. I was watching some of Angel season 1 and Buffy 1 & 2, she was so much more entertaining. Starting in Angel season 3, she started go grow up a little too much. She's too serious now. She used to be so funny

Guest RavishingRickRudo

TOTALLY AGREE! Cordy is just a pain to watch now. I think her pregnancy interfered with the Beasts storyline... Yep... I bet it did... FUCK!

Guest LaParkaMarka

Cordy complaining aside, the ep was pretty good. I was freaked out to see Lorne in the credits again, because I thought they were going to kill him off. Instead, he was shot. Ah, Lorne rules. "Did I tell you that the only shots I'm good at involve tequila?"

The ending was rather wacky. Does anyone thing Faith will become like Angelus? Or is she going to get a Giles-esque save at the beginning of next ep?

Guest raptor

U.S. citizens haven't seen the episode yet. COuld you do a spoiler tag or something? Just cause some of what you said could be spoilerish.

Guest areacode212

I'm going to try and implement a spoiler tag system here (where you have to highlight the text). I tried installing one last week, but it didn't quite work.

Guest areacode212

R2 = Region 2, where Buffy & Angel DVD sets come out earlier than they do over here. They're more expensive, though.

OK, I installed a spoiler tag mod. But here's a demo of it:

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

Faith shows up on tonight's episode!

Please use the tags when discussing episodes that haven't aired in the U.S. yet. Thanks.

EDIT: I fixed the multiple spoiler problem. I'm so proud of my php skills.

Edited by areacode212

Guest Mole

So, if I'd like to get season 2 and 3 for Angel on DVD, how would I go about doing it?

Guest areacode212

First, make sure that you have a region-free player. Then, order the DVDs from somewhere that sells Region 2 DVDs. There's always amazon.co.uk, but I'm sure someone else can point you to a better supplier.

Guest Pegasus Kid

Um... can someone give me a walk through on the spoiler vision? I couldn't get it to work right.

Guest areacode212
Cordy better be under the control of "The First".

As an aside, I really don't like Cordy's character nowadays.  I was watching some of Angel season 1 and Buffy 1 & 2, she was so much more entertaining.  Starting in Angel season 3, she started go grow up a little too much.  She's too serious now.  She used to be so funny

Old-school, snarky Cordy saved a bunch of BtVS season 2 episodes that were otherwise pretty weak (Killed by Death, Go Fish, Some Assembly Required) by just being so bitchy & funny. I was pretty confused when I first saw her on Angel (in last season's pregnant Darla arc). What happened to the Cordy I loved?? I'm all for character development, but eh...I miss Queen C.

Oh, you need a region 2 DVD player.

Is it the same idea as VHS to SVHS?

molestomp, for everything you need to know about DVD region codes, go here:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10

Edited by areacode212

Guest EQ

Holy Fucking SHIT! If Angel turned Faith into a Vampire, I will go nuts. I really hope he didn't just kill her. The preview from next week left it open for either to happen. WILLOW NEXT WEEK!

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Holy crossover, Batman! Spoilers for next week's episode preview, cause I don't get Areacode's code yet.

I'd guessed they'd have to do what's advertised for next week eventually (if there's one way to restore a soul...), but am surprised to see it so soon. Mediocre episode tonight with great Faith bits, the third "shocker" ending in a row...these days Angel is more surprising than Buffy.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Yeah, I mean the character transition was actually pretty well done and logical - her suffering with the visions for a while - but it's Cordy fer christsakes. They did a complete 180 and turned her into the all knowing, all seeing, all sucking 'champion'.

Guest EQ
Yeah, I mean the character transition was actually pretty well done and logical - her suffering with the visions for a while - but it's Cordy fer christsakes. They did a complete 180 and turned her into the all knowing, all seeing, all sucking 'champion'.

Yeah... I didn't mind old Cordy with the visions. They actually made for some pretty funny moments though. Here's Cordy getting these visions of these horrible things about to happen, she plays this huge role in saving tons of people, but at the same time, she's pissed cause she gets a headache and all she can think about is her own discomfort. I really miss that old Cordy. I would love to see the cast of Buffy meet up with present-day Cordy though... only because they probably have no idea how much she's changed, and it might make for some pretty funny scenes. Xander in particular.

Guest Cavi

My favorite character in the the Whedonverse crossing over...the goddess Aly...next week~! I thought it wasn't until the last ep of March or or something that she was supposed to appear.

As for the DVD stuff, Areacode pretty much summed it all up. I get my DVDs from Amazon UK.

Guest Mole

The episode itself was kind of weak, but the ending was phat.

Willow next week, I'm there.