TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LaParkaMarka

Angel

Guest RavishingRickRudo

So in this 3 weeks of hollow, empty, cold, bitter, nothingness...

Wanna piece together the whole thing? In terms of storylines from the beginning?

Good lord...

"In the beginning, there was Angel in LA, and it was good. Then he found a demon helper and Cordy, and he saw that it was very good."

I couldn't even begin to piece all this together from the beginning.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Yeah, but we have 3 weeks. We can ignore the first group of eps. and basically work our way up from Angels relationship with Wolfram and Heart.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Evolution of Angel:

Season 1:

Episode 1: Angel, Cordy, Doyle.

-Introduction of Wolfram and Heart and Lawyer Lindsay.

Episode 2: Angel Meets Kate.

-Angel investigations is established.

Eps 3: Cross-over. Oz gives Angel a gem, Angel says no.

Eps 4: Um... It's about whether or not they should charge money for their services.

Eps 5: Cordy moves into a new apartment w/ a ghost as a roomie.

Eps 6: err, nothing really happens to effect the time line. But here is a lil analysis.

Self Acceptance & Inner Demons:

Up to this point in the series there has been an underlying theme of accepting ones self entirely including our inner demons. Doyle's inner hatred is what destroyed his marriage, his disdain for himself, and it is what has negatively affected his life.

Eps 7: Angel turns human, fucks buffy, turns vamp because he is too weak as a human - doesnt remember the encounter. The first real dialogue between Angel and the Powers that be.

Eps 8: Doyle dies.

Eps 9: Enter Wesley, Rogue Demon Hunter. Cordy gets the visions.

Eps 10: Kate finds out that Angel is a vamp. Angelus marks his victims with a cross on the cheek.

Theme

The metaphor for lonliness:

Penn's weakest moment came in where he realised that he was indeed alone. Vampires are in an unfortunate position in that their stock of possible friends is small, and they only way they can grow it larger is by taking a risk to create another. This is not unlike human relationships. Over time people change and move on with their lives and without constant attempts on our parts to change with them and make new friends we may find ourselves cut off as well. Thus, the primal fear of lonliness is beautifully layed out in this episode. Joss Whedon has said that all of his stories are about people, and their underlying challenges. With few exceptions every episode of Buffy and Angel is like this.

Eps 12: Cordy gets pregnant and possessed.

Eps 13: Wes is 'officially hired' - this eps. kinda foreshadows some things to come in the later seasons.

Eps 14: Filler - it's just getting us familiar with the gang.

Eps 15: Angel flashbacks to Darla and his beginning. Angels real name is Liam.

Eps 16: LILAH LILAH LILAH! VAVAVAVOOM! Wolfram and Heart begin their manipulation of Angel.

Eps 17: Angelus emerges for a brief period.

Eps 18: FAITH FAITH FAITH! OOOOOH wouldn't it be nice, If I could touch your bah-day... ahem... Screw it...

I'll just post the synop. for this.

Angel and Wesley catch, find and convert a prime witness that is involved in a case against Wolfram & Hart. Knowing that Angel is behind the reappearance of the witness that foiled a major case, W&H are ready for payback. Enter Faith. Seems she's had enough of Sunnydale and is searching for darker pastures.

Not five minutes off the Greyhound and the rouge Slayer knocks out a lecherous man and takes his wallet and keys. With some cash and a place to stay, the sky's the limit.

We're taken back to Romania, circa 1898, as Angel's past is revealed. We see the transformation of Angelus to Angel as his soul is restored by a gypsy. And we see the pain Angel first endures as he now feels the 140 or so years of killing and is now neither part of the vampire nor the human world.

The evil folks at Wolfram & Hart find Faith and commence hiring her to do away with their nemesis, Angel. It's obviously no problem for her. She immediately attempts to shoot our hero in public with a crossbow, but Angel catches it mid-flight. Wesley warns Angel that Faith is not a demon but just a sick girl and there may be a chance to reach her still.

Wesley changes his mind when Faith kidnaps and tortures him, nearly to death. Angel and Cordelia follow Faith's path of destruction and locate her new hide-out. Faith and Angel fight but as Faith begins to get stronger physically, declaring herself "evil," she appears to be losing it mentally. As they fight, they both go flying out the window to the alley below. Wesley cuts himself loose, picks up a knife and heads downstairs--ready to do whatever he has to, to save Angel.

Faith continues to weaken mentally and as she and Angel brawl in the alley, she collapses into his arms, begging him to kill her. To be continued...

Eps 19: Buffy comes to Los Angeles seeking vengeance under the guise of protecting Angel from Faith's violent nature, but Buffy is shocked and hurt to discover her former love siding with her nemesis as he attempts to shelter her.

Meanwhile, Wesley is faced with a crisis of loyalties when the Watcher's Council offers a chance at reinstatement if he gives up Faith.

Eps 20: Enter Charles Gunn... The Black Man. *sinister music*

Eps 21: Along his journey through the law firm's secret vaults Angel finds himself attracted to an ancient scroll and he grabs it as he runs out the door. Little does Angel know, the scroll holds a prophecy about the "vampire with a soul". Ultimately, Lindsay isn't quite sure if he can stick by his decision to betray the firm and sabotage the deadly mission. In the end, he chooses to stay with the firm, getting himself a nice raise and a much bigger office.

Holland - the boss - is introduced here.

Eps 22: Wes investigates the scrolls dealing with Angel. Unfortunately, when Wesley does realize what the pivotal word, "shanshu" means, he must tell Angel that the prophecy means the vampire with a soul will die...Wesley discovers the real meaning of "shanshu" is to live. Angel will eventually become human.

And then they say that Angel is going t

Linsay loses his hand.

Hello Darla.

End of Season 1.

Hmm, a lot more happened than I remember.

Hmm, a lot more happened than I remember.

Nice review. The end of Season 1 is basically all I've seen save the last 5 or so eps from this season and scattered others.

"Eps 7: Angel turns human, fucks buffy, turns vamp because he is too weak as a human - doesnt remember the encounter. The first real dialogue between Angel and the Powers that be."

Actually, he's the only one that does remember that day. It was the price he had to pay in order to become Vamp Angel again.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Ooooh, my mistake. I got the info from a eps. guide and just tried to note the important parts of the story that relates to todays angel. Because the most impressive thing IMO about the show is the continuity. With Wolfram and Heart getting destroyed in L.A. I thought it would be interesting to note the progression so we can appreciate the end.

Man, 1999 was a long time ago so most of the eps was an "ooooh yeeeeeaaah' kind of experience... Lindsay was probably the biggest surprise for me because he was a central villain in that time. I smacked myself in the head for forgetting about him.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I think Lilah is the only character that can lay claim to the 'fox' label. The women on buffy/angel are hot, cute, sexy, sweet, etc. but I can't really say that they were foxes.

Guest LaParkaMarka

What about Jenny Calender? She was kinda foxy.

Lilah > Jenny, though. At least in terms of foxiness.

What about Jenny Calender? She was kinda foxy.

Lilah > Jenny, though. At least in terms of foxiness.

Ah yes, can't forget the classics.

Loved the Buffy ep where Xander had all the girls falling in love with him and Jenny made with the seducing. That was gold. As was Buffy making with the much more forceful seducing.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I don't consider Jenny foxy, just really hot. She didn't have the walk that Lilah had. In terms of hotness, Jenny is hotter...but Lilah is foxier.

Plus, did Jenny dress up like a school girl? I think not.

"Leave the Glasses on"

Guest fazzle
Eps 7: Angel turns human, fucks buffy, turns vamp because he is too weak as a human - doesnt remember the encounter.  The first real dialogue between Angel and the Powers that be.

Actually, episode 7 was the one where Doyle's wife was getting remarried, and her fiance wanted to eat his brains.

And to get back on topic for this new season...March 5th can't get here soon enough damnit. Angel's been kicking Buffy's ass lately for show quality.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Well on the eps. guide I was looking at had that eps. as #6. It doesn't really matter - the whole purpose of the guide was to compliment angels progression.

Angel has been better than Buffy for a while now IMO. Just the way they have progressed the storyline for so long - how things interconnect - and the characters involved is just amazing to watch.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Where are you going with that Lotion? The beach? Are you going to the beach? You're going to the beach. Can I come?

In other news, I'd hit Lilah like Tuesday Morning.

Guest LaParkaMarka
In other news, I'd hit Lilah like Tuesday Morning.

I think we all would.

It's too bad Jenny didn't have a schoolgirl moment. Shame on Joss, shame!

Lilah - "I can put the glasses on..."

Wes - "Don't embarass yourself."

Me - "BURN~!"

I think Fred is really cute, but if I could be hitting Lilah I would totally be there. Fred isn't mopeworthy.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

DUDE! That line was so fucking 1st Degree (...Burn)

The Wes/Lilah relationship was one of the best in either shows history IMO.

Guest Mole

Alright, I just finished season 1 for Angel, and it was pretty good. Five by Five was the best episode.

Spoil something for me please, what's the deal with Darla, the women in the box at the end of season 1?

Spoil something for me please, what's the deal with Darla, the women in the box at the end of season 1?

Oh oh, I get to answer first!

Darla made Angel a vamp. She sired him. She was also in Buffy Season 1 until he dusted her. Which means Wofram & Heart did a neat trick in bringing her back (haven't seen any of Angel Season 2 aside from the flashback ep that went along with Buffy's 'Fool for Love' so I can't give specifics). She's also Conner's mom.

Guest Steve J. Rogers
Plus Angel and crew still seem vulnerable. Buffy's just too damn invincible.

Team Angel:

Angel, kick ass vampire

Cordeillia, Not so much kick ass human but gets visions

Wesley, Ex-watcher, very much human

Gunn, Commando human

Fred, Human

Lorne, Not very kick-assy demon

Conner, Human with vamp blood in him

The Scobbies

Buffy, kick ass slayer

Willow, kick ass wicca even though she's a recovering addict

Xander, very much not kick ass human

Giles, Ex-watcher, very much human

Spike, normally kick ass vamp, slowly coming back around

Ayna, ex-demon, now human, not so much on the kick ass

Dawn, Now very much human but has "Summers Blood" in her

SITs, Wanna be slayers, still hoening in their talents

Yeah, I'd go with Buffy's team over Angel's

Steve

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Fred is *super-smart* though.

Wes has his *super-cool* weapons of death.

Gunn is a *black man*. Yep. Take THAT Buffy.

Willow really turns the tide though, with that "oooh I can destroy the earth at any time and rip the flesh off of you" witchy powers.

Guest Mole

Oh oh, I get to answer first!

Darla made Angel a vamp. She sired him. She was also in Buffy Season 1 until he dusted her. Which means Wofram & Heart did a neat trick in bringing her back (haven't seen any of Angel Season 2 aside from the flashback ep that went along with Buffy's 'Fool for Love' so I can't give specifics). She's also Conner's mom.

Hmm..that is interesting. I don't remember her dieing in season 1 of Buffy, but I'll take your word for it.

Well I gotta wait until September 2003 for Angel season 2 to come out. I'll just ask it for my birthday so I don't have to spend any money.

Hmm..that is interesting. I don't remember her dieing in season 1 of Buffy, but I'll take your word for it.

In the episode named "Angel" in the first season, Darla tries to kill Buffy with John Woo like double gun action, but Angel stakes her from behind. In that same episode, she finds out that Angel is a vampire and Buffy believes that Angel bit Joyce when it was in fact Darla.

Ring a bell now?

Dames

Guest RavishingRickRudo

AH CRAP!

*reads spoilers*

AH CRAP!

*boo's Angel*

BOOOOO!