TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Zwan: Thoughts, comments, critiques?

Guest Downhome

I don't know what you people will think of it, but I've heard quite a few critics call it great. They say it's a great 90's sound, with some very poetic and meaningfull lyrics. I can't say however, because I haven't heard anything of this yet. Is it worth me checking out? What do you guys think of this if you've heard it?

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest Lethargic

What I've heard sounds exactly like Smashing Pumpkins. So I don't really get it. He breaks up SP because he claimed that it was too hard for a rock band to compete with the "Britneys" of the world, but yet he comes back with a band that sounds pretty much just like SP. And if you look at the lineup, the drummer is still the same. Since SP's bass player had already quit anyway, the only difference between the two bands is that James Iha is gone. Besides that it's just Smashing Pumpkins with a different name. If you liked that band, you'll like this one.

Though I do give the new bass player chick an edge in the looks department over the original one. Which is obviously the most important part.

Guest The Notorious CRD

I picked it up the other day and think it's great. For the purposes of previewing the album, I recommend downloading "Lyric" and "Honestly" (if you haven't already heard it). 2 great songs and I'm particularly fond of the chorus for "Lyric" where Paz wraps her voice around it. Very beautiful effect. So, yeah, there's my 2¢ on it.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I picked this up last week, and I'm very pleased. It's not groundbreaking or astounding, but it is a very solid pop/rock record, and Corgan has let a lot of the really bloated pretensions that sunk the Pumpkins' final album go. I think the big difference between this and the Pumpkins is that this group can actually work together now; by the time the Pumpkins were done, nobody except Corgan and Chamberlain really wanted to work together anyway. Too much tension.

Zwan does sound a lot like the Smashing Pumpkins at many a time. Most of the songs are WAY more upbeat than the conventional Pumpkins fare, and thus this album does feel a bit like the child of songs like "Today." As Lethargic mentioned, Paz Lenchantin is super-hot, and in addition her backing vocals are really great. There's a nice male/female tension on this that actually reminds me of some of the earlier Pixies stuff with Frank Black and Kim Deal...albeit with a lot more production, for sure.

It's overproduced, and the indie-lord guitarists along for the ride don't get to show off too much, but the album has a more mature feel than a lot of the Snarly Snarl I Hate The World stuff of Mellon Collie. As I said, it's not tremendous, but it's a very fun record.

Guest Youth N Asia

I just hope he doesn't pull his crybaby card if it doesn't sell.

When Adore didn't sell for beans he got all pissy and said, "If our fans were real fans they'd buy it." Or something like that...blaming the fans instead of a shitty album for not selling.

Guest PlatypusFool

The single I've heard is well and truly shit, just basic SP-esque fluffy pop/rock nonsense.

Guest saturnmark4life

Yes, I saw a vid where they were serenading each other in black and white, and it was an utter load of shit. Nothing I couldn't pull out of my ass.

Guest Eyeball Kid

Always having found Smashing Pumpkins tolerable at best, what I've heard off the Zwan album is just that--tolerable. That's a lot better than the putrid singles from the last few albums, but still nothing special.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's not that much of a change from the Smashing Pumpkins material at all, aside from it being much happier.

IIRC, Paz was the bass player from A Perfect Circle.

Guest B-X

"Was" is the key word there. She quit APC to tour full time with Zwan..

Guest Youth N Asia

"Was" is the key word there. She quit APC to tour full time with Zwan..

Good for her...she'll probably make more money.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Hmm, is this Paz really that attractive? I was quite fond of the Pumpkins' bass player... Oh, and I liked Adore, dammit.

I heard the song on the radio the other day and thought it was a Pumpkins' song until the DJ said otherwise. I just kinda said "ehh, okay."

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Paz is indeed delish. D'arcy was no slouch, in a waifish sort of way, and the bass chick from Hole that replaced her (Melissa Auf Der Mar, wasn't it?) is also hot.

I think Corgan just has a fetish for hot chicks that play bass, and I can't say that I blame him. Rrrrowl.

Guest Youth N Asia
Hmm, is this Paz really that attractive? I was quite fond of the Pumpkins' bass player... Oh, and I liked Adore, dammit.

I heard the song on the radio the other day and thought it was a Pumpkins' song until the DJ said otherwise. I just kinda said "ehh, okay."

I think she's cute, a very wholesome look, not a 10. But I'd hit it.

Adore sucked 11 different kinds of ass.

And Darcy (I think that's her name) from the Pumpkins did nothing for me

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Youth, imma beat yo ass.

Adore is definitely my favorite Pumpkins album. Low-key, beautiful, and most of Corgan's best songwriting.

I'm one of about six people, I know, but I stand my ground.

In other Zwan news, they're touring with the motherfunkin' Queens of the Stone Age in March. That's going to be stupendous, methinks. Must...drive...to Baltimore...

Guest converge241

If you like Zwan and want to see them live, they may do Lollapalooza in addition to the aforementioned QOTSA

Guest saturnmark4life

Jesus, I can't imagine sitting through that shit factory for QOTSA. I'm sure I'm not the only one, come to think of it. Not two bands I'd stick together, personally.

Guest Choken One

Nothing looks good on Lolla...aside from the very COOL Audio Slave. I can't tell a damn difference between Zwan and pUMPKINS.

Guest EricMM

So wait, is Paz going to go back with APC for their next album? I really liked Mer de Noms, and I wish they wouldn't mess with a winning formula!!!

Plus Paz looked wicked hot doing up her hair in the Judith video! ;)

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

No, Eric. APC's in the studio now, but she's done with them. Twiggy from Marilyn Manson is the new bassist.

Sadly, quite far from a gorgeous woman, what with being a freaky looking man.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Woah, guess who just started a topic bout the bassist change in Perfect Circle? Bummer, upstaged again.

Guest welshjerichomark

they are shit, they were on cd:uk yesterday (a saturday morning chart show over here) and i could have sworn they were miming