TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Smart Marks Fantasy Baseball League?

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Yahoo fantasy baseball

Considering we have done a football and basketball league, I was wondering if there's going to be one? I would suggest a few things to make it a better experience though:

A - Fewer teams. Im thinking no more than 12.

B - People who are dedicated enough to keep the league active. Considering the season is long, I've had a lot of bad experiences with baseball leagues going dead by july, which just sucks.

C - One thing to spice it up would be to do a head to head league (Where Team A plays Team B for one week and you earn pts based on who has the better stats for the week) I did this last year and the league was pretty competitive.

D - Do the Plus league (A 12 team league would cost $8.33 a team ($100 special price before March 17th/12 teams), winning team gets a Replica Jersey) I doubt this is feasible since many people might not have the money (it is only $8.33 though) and you get all the upgrade features that would cost twice that. It would only be $5 a team if we got 20 teams, but I really would like to keep the league small (and I doubt there will be 20 people interested..)Plus Info

Just tossing out some ideas. Also if someone has a better site, mention it.

Im still pissed off that I wont be able to play at Sandbox this year, but I wasnt about to pay $8 a month for their lousy service and problems.

Guest bravesfan

C. Head-to-Head is okay. Would rather have the "overall points competition" going on, but no complaints either way. It works better in football, in my opinion.

D. Very feasible for most. One idea is to have the owner and/or those with a credit card make the payments to Yahoo, then have everyone else pay them back (or in advance).

TSN (TheSportingNews.com) will be my other free-site of choice this year.

I'll be up for the league, and for Plus as well.

Guest Vern Gagne

Sandbox is charging money. WTF.

I"ll do it if it's only 1 payment up front and not a monthly thing.

Guest bravesfan

Hell, make it 20 teams. The less money to pay, the better. If other teams pull out during the season, who cares? We've got their payments. :D

Guest jimmy no nose

I don't know if I want to do the whole paying thing. Even if it is only $5 I just don't want to for some reason. Maybe we could get up a pay league and a free league or something.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic
Sandbox is charging money. WTF.

I"ll do it if it's only 1 payment up front and not a monthly thing.

Yeah, Sandbox is now SandboxPlus (www.sandboxplus.com) and it costs $6.95 a month. With that you get 2 teams in each sport plus they have prizes and stuff. But after the whole Peak user thing in football and the constant server crashes, and the fact that 99% of the users probably won't be back, and my 2 keeper leagues would be dead, I decided to not even think about paying the money.

As with the yahoo plus thing, I think its a good idea to sign up as a league and then distribute the costs to each team at a 1 time only cost of $8, which is the cost of the stat tracker alone, and you also get the draft kit and the other stuff that costs extra if you don't pay for a team. I think what we need to do is get a good idea of how many teams there will be now. I would like to play with a smaller league, but more teams to lower the price is fine by me I guess. Someone (I could do it) would then sign up (Before March 17th for $100 price) and pay it and then everyone could either send the person their part of the $100 via a check or paypal or some other way.

Guest alkeiper

A- Doesn't really matter.

B- Our league last year for thesmartmarks was fairly active. There's enough people active to keep it interesting.

C- I think Rotiserree generally works best.

D- We should avoid a paying service I think. I wouldn't forward the money, and then trust people to send the money later. And doing it in advance would push the draft date back too far.

Just my two cents.

Guest cartman

I would definitely like to be in this league, but not a pay league...

I agree there could be two seperate leagues if necessary. One for people who wanna pay and one freebie.

Guest bravesfan

Pay Leagues do drive away those who are not willing to check their teams often ("often" = 2-3 times a week). In simpler terms, who in the hell will pay for a team spot, if they won't check it more than twice a month?

I have no gripes about doing the free league, but I won't be surprised if 6 or 7 owners in a 12-14 team league will bail out quickly.

Guest DrTom

Head-to-head SUCKS in baseball, from my experience. Online, I think 5x5 Roto is probably the best thing to do. I don't plan on paying to play freaking Yahoo fantasy baseball, so count me out if you're collecting money. If I'm paying to play, there'd better be a healthy prize.

Guest Vern Gagne

I see your point Bravesfan. If someone doesn't have a firm commitment than they shouldn't sign up in the first place.

Guest bravesfan
If I'm paying to play, there'd better be a healthy prize.

According to Yahoo.com

Prize Details: The winner of each qualifying league (any league having eight teams or more) in Fantasy Baseball Plus will receive a replica jersey of the U.S. professional baseball team of their choice.  

That's a DAMN good deal.

Guest raptor

I am committed, but I'd rather not pay. I usually do these things for fun anyways, and I can just join a league for free.

We should set up two leagues, as was suggested earlier.

Guest cartman

so when should he hold the live Draft? I would start the league up for us but i dont know what a good time for everyone would be for a draft. Sunday's are always good for me.

Guest kingkamala

I'd be in on this if this was a free league. My team would be the SMLB's equivalent of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays probably but hey every league needs their whipping boys *shrugs*.

Guest DrTom

These are my recommendations:

1. Make it a free league

2. Use 5x5 roto scoring

3. Set up a respected and trustworthy commissioner, someone who can be counted on to keep up with transactions and give delinquent teams a nudge in the back

4. Make it a private league, password protected, and only permit people who would definitely commit to the whole season.

Guest HartFan86
These are my recommendations:

1. Make it a free league

2. Use 5x5 roto scoring

3. Set up a respected and trustworthy commissioner, someone who can be counted on to keep up with transactions and give delinquent teams a nudge in the back

4. Make it a private league, password protected, and only permit people who would definitely commit to the whole season.

You should just run your own Free Private League, Tom. I'd join in a second. PM me if you do because I doubt I'll return to this thread.

Guest alkeiper

I agree with Tom's setup. As far as catagories go, I'd use Runs, HRs, OBP, Steals, RBI for hitters, and W, Saves, Ks, ERA, and WHIP for pitchers.

As far as a live draft goes, I'm cool as long as its an evening draft.

Guest Rob Van Dam

What about Baseball Challenge at espn.com, that is definately a fun one, and it is free

Guest Vern Gagne
What about Baseball Challenge at espn.com, that is definately a fun one, and it is free

Is that for certain? ESPN.com always seems to charge money.

Guest DrTom

Gah. I just tried to register a private league on Yahoo, with a live draft. There's dick available for live drafts on a weekend, so we might have to go with an auto-draft, where the owners arrange the players in order and the computer picks based on those rankings. Your teams won't be as personalized, but trading can always make up for that. If those who are interested are cool with it, we can go with that option.

Guest bravesfan

So far, the league consists of:

Marvin

Me

Vern Gagne

cartman2092

Will Scarlet

DrTom

raptor

undisputedjericho

kingkamala

thepinjockey

HartFan86

CanadianChris

alkeiper

--------------

13 Teams

Everyone else posting in this thread (who aren't signed up), didn't really convey that they "wanted in", so I'll leave it to them to post a reply.

EDIT: Rob Van Dam? jimmy no nose?