TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MARTYEWR

EWR 3.0 is now available~!

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Do gimmicks have a real purpose in this game?

Guest MARTYEWR

Hollywood, to answer your question, here's the gimmicks section in the EWR Guide:

Gimmick: A gimmick is the wrestler's character. For example, in real life, Kane's gimmick is that of a guy who was severely burned, was in an asylum, and came to wrestling to get back at his brother. In EWR, there are lots of gimmicks to choose from. You can find a list of what each gimmick means by going to the Meeting screen and talking to the writers. The principle behind gimmicks in EWR is that wrestling fans do not want to see two guys with no personality rolling around on the mat, otherwise they'd be watching amateur wrestling. Low-level workers (those who are working for regional promotions for example) don't really need gimmicks, as they aren't seen by the same fans on a regular enough basis to build a character. However, stars who are working for larger promotions need to develop personalities, otherwise fans won't care about them and their overness will suffer. Therefore you need to assign gimmicks to them. Each gimmick can last for a random amount of time (usually between 1 and 3 years) before it becomes stale and the worker needs to be re-packaged with a new gimmick. The success of a gimmick depends on how well the worker is suited to it, and sometimes, how willing your company is to back it up. For example, if you try to promote Shannon Moore as a Monster, it will bomb; Moore doesn't look menancing, and doesn't have the brawling skills to take anyone on. Similarly, trying to get Jerry Lynn over as a comedian may backfire, as he doesn't have the charisma to back it up. Giving a babyface an Evil gimmick would also fail, for obvious reasons. Please note that changing gimmicks too often will hurt a worker's overness. You can change people's gimmicks by going to your roster screen and clicking the gimmick button. You can find out what gimmicks are working by going to the Meeting screen and asking the writers.

Guest Lightning Flik

Just curious but I gave someone the "Street Figher" gimmick, cause there isn't anyone who has had it. Yet, I'm worried that I have to book him in Street Fight (is there such a thing in this game?) matches now.

Guest MARTYEWR

While I'm still learning the gimmicks feature like you guys, I think the Street Fighter gimmick is best for someone who's a great brawler. If you gave it to Jeff Hardy, you're doomed. ;)

Guest SP-1

*Makes Jeff Hardy a Street Fighter and books him in ladder matches with Sick Bumps*

I'm just having fun giving people shitty gimmicks and imagining them as happening...

Gay Triple H, Gay Scott Steiner, Hillbilly Nathan Jones....

It was also fun to do an on screen firing for an angle then fire Steiner and Jones for real.

As for an earlier post about my error, I deleted EWR 2.0 before installing 3.0, so that's very odd. I still have some images from 1.4 though (I threw them in the GRFX folder, remembering how 2.0 crashes anytime I tried to view Wrestling-Heat without being able to load Picture of the Day).

The 5th website is pretty cool.... the Scott Keith "postbag" is funny.

I'm starting to get worried about my EWR sessions... back when I was playing EWR 2.0, Angle suffered a neck injury and was scheduled to be out several months. Well, yesterday I hired a certain person....

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

and now Sable is actually back

Weird. I wonder if my hiring of Marty Jannetty will bring me luck in that department.

I did a wedding between Lita and Matt Hardy that Edge interupted, and this was my Road Agent note:

"Brian Lawler has gained overness from this segment".

Huh?

....I've got to ask. Is Brian Lawler even on your roster? He comes with TNA in the game.

Dames

Guest Lightning Flik

Actually Dames, its a bug. Sometimes a person other than on your roster gets overness.

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but it's what's been said to be a bug over at the EWR boards.

Guest KanadianKrusty

From the EW website:

EWR 3.0 Update I have uploaded an updated version of EWR 3.0. This has fixes to the feud error, and all angle errors reported so far. I have also found a way to reduce "Next Day" loading times by around 70%, and this has been included

WOOHOO!, faster loading~!, WWC here I come!

Guest MARTYEWR
Actually Dames, its a bug. Sometimes a person other than on your roster gets overness.

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but it's what's been said to be a bug over at the EWR boards.

Acutally Dames (and Flik), it isn't a bug (as I said earlier in this thread). I talked with Adam about it, and he said the person probably just didn't use the data converter (when using 2.0 data). If you don't, you get messed up stuff like that.

Can we transfer saved games to the updated version?

You can, but again, as I've stressed several times, use the data converter (assuming it's 2.0 data). Otherwise, you get Brian Lawler gaining overness in wedding angles. :P

Unfortunately, even after Adam released a new version yesterday, I found another bug covering tag team feuds yesterday when I got home. (Watch what happens to a tag feud when you run a show, and the two tag teams give interviews against each other). Grrrr, I wish this game would be as close to perfect as possible... :(

Let me guess....both teams lose overness and somehow vacate all of the titles in the promotion? That would be one bad promo, now wouldn't it.

Dames

Guest MARTYEWR

Nah, instead of the feud score being 1-1 (like it should've been after two interviews), it wound up being 4-4! Huh?! :huh:

Guest MARTYEWR

Not much, actually. But then again, the two teams I have facing each other are both face teams (Benoit/Rhyno and Edge/Rey, if anyone's curious), so it makes sense.

Funny bit, actually: I originally wanted Benoit/Rhyno to feud with A-Train/Show for the titles (I took them off Team Angle because I figured they could improve even MORE in OVW), but Benoit thought A-Train and Show were not in his league! I couldn't agree more! :lol:

Guest MARTYEWR

Uh, depends on my mindframe at the time (heehee) or the worker. In this case, Benoit (who I'd like to keep around and keep happy), didn't like a feud, so I tried something different with him so his morale doesn't drop.

I try to plan out my storylines in advance and I don't let anyone fuck with them. If they don't wanna feud with em....fuck em, let their morale drop. I'm the promoter dammit.

Its not like i'm going to bury the guy, they always go back up.

Dames

Guest El Satanico

Well a good way to get someone to agree to feud with someone they believe to be under them is to give them an unofficial feud. After about a month the other person's overness should increase enough that the other person will then agree to the feud.

But wouldn't that result in most of your feud being unofficial and therefore the "official" part of it is short? Then their overness will drop because it was too short and didn't help.

Dames

Guest El Satanico
Can we transfer saved games to the updated version?

You can, but again, as I've stressed several times, use the data converter (assuming it's 2.0 data). Otherwise, you get Brian Lawler gaining overness in wedding angles. :P

Unfortunately, even after Adam released a new version yesterday, I found another bug covering tag team feuds yesterday when I got home. (Watch what happens to a tag feud when you run a show, and the two tag teams give interviews against each other). Grrrr, I wish this game would be as close to perfect as possible... :(

Actually I meant transfer 3.0 saved games I had already started. After asking that I realized it was a stupid question and that I knew the answer, so nevermind.

Guest El Satanico
But wouldn't that result in most of your feud being unofficial and therefore the "official" part of it is short? Then their overness will drop because it was too short and didn't help.

Dames

No...not at all. All the unofficial feud does is give the official feud major heat to start. I've still got guys over from a month long official feud.

Yes, if you like 5 month feuds this wouldn't be good for you. However, If you want guys to feud with those they see as beneath them without killing their morale this is the way. Well as long as you wait until the person doesn't complain about jobbing to them. Don't job them until they stop complaining when you book it.

Guest Lightning Flik

*looks at all the new angles that I've written down into a book so far* wow... Looks like I'll be needing to really plan my shows ahead of time. Cause these 175 angles are going to cause me headaches...

Well, as soon as I make plans, at least GCW will kill the WWE easily. HEHEHEHEHE... And hopefully I squash FLI and TNA as well.

Seriously though, does anyone find the need now to have the minimum amount of matches on a show and actually mostly have angles? Cause with this many angles, I definitely need to book as few matches as possible.

Why don't you just use your angles sporadically so you don't use them over and over again over time and try and develop longer feuds with them.

Dames

Guest El Satanico

Just because you have 275 angles you don't have to use more. You just have more to choose from now.

You just need to look at them as simply more options to use during feuds. The older games were limited on options to move feuds forward with, now you have a great variety of options.

Guest treble charged

I don't know if this is a bug, but since I was using the 2.0 data converted to 3.0, which means no one has any gimmicks. I gave TAKA an 'evil foreigner' gimmick, thinking it was perfect, but when I debuted it, it got a negative reaction. WTF?

Guest Lightning Flik
Why don't you just use your angles sporadically so you don't use them over and over again over time and try and develop longer feuds with them. 

Dames

Just because you have 275 angles you don't have to use more. You just have more to choose from now.

You just need to look at them as simply more options to use during feuds. The older games were limited on options to move feuds forward with, now you have a great variety of options.

Dames & El Satanico, I wasn't talking about feuds.

See, I "built" GCW on the premises of "taking" other people from other companies and build them into my own Global fed to take on WWE because I want to directly challenge them.

So I took most of the guys the WWE usually cans (Benjamin, Haas, Nova, Dave Batista, etc.) and few others from them that they seemingly screw all the time (Booker T, Jericho, Benoit and Cena [yes, Cena hasn't been screwed over, I just like him, ok?]).

Then I took a lot of nobodies for the rest of my roster (Generalin Intikami, Jonny C, Jayson Reign, etc.). Sadly they are all lowercarders pretty much (Psicosis, Doring, Roadkill, Ultimo Dragon, etc.). And a few of them make up my midcard.

So you see, that's why I am saying I need so many angles. I need to build up my people's overness. And I don't wanna put people into feuds all the time, because it would suck ass.

On top of that, I like to build history behind my matchs (like TNA sorta does). I don't like sending out Joe Blow to face Squid Weed for no reason at all. Thusly, why I was saying that I feel like to use the least amount of matches. Cause technically in GCW, no one has history with each other.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Guest Lightning Flik

ARGH~! DAMN THIS GAME~!

I set my PI at 1 and went head to head against the WWE's Smackdown.

I should've freakin won the damn battle, cause my card was a 76, but instead I FUCKING LOST~! AND THUSLY MY GAME ENDED~! CAUSE I LOST MY ONLY PI~!

ARGH~! NOW I'VE GOTTA SET UP MY GCW ONCE AGAIN~!

Guest MARTYEWR
I don't know if this is a bug, but since I was using the 2.0 data converted to 3.0, which means no one has any gimmicks. I gave TAKA an 'evil foreigner' gimmick, thinking it was perfect, but when I debuted it, it got a negative reaction. WTF?

Yeah, Tim, the gimmicks (as well as Fonz Factor, American, and Menacing) you'll have to edit on your own.

Also, TAKA's Evil Foreigner gimmick may have bombed if:

- he's a face; and/or

- you have him set to American.