Do you like Glen Gilberti?

Opinion on Gilberti  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on Gilberti

• I like him
    • I see his improvement...but I don't buy him as a top contender
    • He's still Disco...and I still don't care
    • I hate him
    • Raven should have won...as a matter of fact...Styles should have won first and we shouldn't be talking about this.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

After reading Dames Diatribe it started to occur to me that Dames and I may be the only two people in the world that like Glen Gilberti.

What's your opinion?

Guest jimmy no nose

I've like him for a long time. Even without the gimmick he's still cool. Pretty good worker compared to most others. I dont know why others dont like him.

Guest BoboBrazil

I see his improvement...but I don't buy him as a top contender.

I have him as my sig.....so that means I like him or I'm just too lazy to change it.

I like him, maybe thrown into the spotlight too soon, but I like him.

Guest j.o.b. squad

i also see his improvement.

while i do not see him as a top contender . I do see him as a time filler contender.

So that they have time to build up someone enough that every one will believe that the next guy whoever it is will get every one in the audience to believe that he will vanquish the dragon and win the title.

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

I like Glen, but I don't seem him as a world title contender, but I went with the last choice.

Raven should have won...as a matter of fact...Styles should have won first and we shouldn't be talking about this.

I've been saying Styles should of won, and if not, Raven should of won, for weeks now.

Guest RedJed

They overexposed him this past week, his weaknesses in this new role came across to me and I still dont see him as a heavyweight contender.

This is the thing about him........they made the comparison on the show that guys like Austin were stuck in nonsuccessful gimmicks and then turned out to be superstars in the long run. But this is the thing.....neither guy was taken as a complete comedy act for years and years with a push at those times that were even worse than a level of both Austin and Taker. The guy was fucking doing jobs to Jacky and Evan Karagious for gods sake. Even as recently as a few months ago, he was still doing stupid shit like managing Disgraceland.

I just think they are trying too hard to make him into a badass character, and they should maybe tone back on that and re-evaluate the direction here. You cant make a legit star or successful gimmick overnight. I think Gilberti would be better fit as a guy akin to Shane Douglas almost. Not a total badass, but credible enough......but still is total heel material more than anything. Has a ruthless side to him, but isnt neccesarily this thick skinned of a character he's trying to be.

Guest subliminal_animal
Even as recently as a few months ago, he was still doing stupid shit like managing Disgraceland.

I dunno, I think that ended up as a pretty smart decision on his part.

Guest acnx

Raven should have won...as a matter of fact...Styles should have won first and we shouldn't be talking about this.

The "We Want Raven" chant this past week summed it all up for me. They droped the ball. I don't buy Gilberti as a World Championship contender, and I know there aren't many people out there that do. They can do all they want to try and drop the stigma of the Disco Inferno, but whenever I see him that's what will pop into my head.

Jarrett's run as World Champ should have been over long ago, and it looks like they have booked themselfs into a corner now with Gilberti as the number one contender. There is no way anyone will buy Gilberti as the champion, as over as Raven is, they really blew that, AJ and DLO are busy in the tag division...who the hell is left? I would really like to see a singles run for either Daniels or Low-Ki, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe Lynn?'

Guest eirejmcmahon

I quite like the thinking behind the Gilberti push but the creative crew at NWATNA are deluding themselves if they think they can rid him of his jackass character and push him as a legit top-card guy over the course of a few weeks.

Gilbertti has a solid character and mic skills, and is passable in ring. But NOBODY unless they are THE top draw, and even then it's overexposure, should have as much TV time as he did on TNA this week. And the Disco Inferno stigma still stands, PLUS the knowledge that he's on the booking team, and unlike Raven, isn't over enough to be logically put into a main event feud like this.

So right now, I definitely do not like Glenn Gilbertti because I'm just so damn sick of him. And I voted that Raven should have won the damn belt in the first place, just because he should have.

Guest The Son of Sting

I dont buy him as main event material but i have feeling he is going over Jarret for the belt.

Guest Lemon Drop Kid

I don't think everyone who gets built up for a couple of weeks to contend for the title has to be someone who could necessarily be a credible longterm champion. It's just something to do to fill time. He's a good "Raw main event" guy.

Guest Vyce

I like him. I've always liked him. I liked him even WITH the Disco Inferno gimmick. It was a silly gimmick, but he made it work, as best he could.

He's got pretty decent ring skills, he's good on the mike, and he's got charisma. I got no problems whatsoever with them making him a star.

There is no way anyone will buy Gilberti as the champion, as over as Raven is, they really blew that, AJ and DLO are busy in the tag division...who the hell is left?

I'm not so willing to blame the Raven situation on TNA yet.

If he actually does the smart thing and signs a contract that lasts longer than a week, THEN I can justify putting the belt on him. If they're legitimate concerns that he'll be gone from week to week, they should never put the title on him. Someone needs to make a commitment.

Guest TheHulkster

Whenever I look at him, no matter how different his character may be, I think of his past as the fuzzy cowboy hat wearing, jackie jobbing, can't perform his own finishing move wonder known as the disco inferno. He needs a total makeover before he should be pushed to the top in my opinion.

Guest Heel In Peril

Lots of fine points on both side of the fence in this thread. Allow me to present a different twist though. Is Jarrett really a world title contender? And if he really is? Did he deserve to have retained the title this long (6 months, if I'm not mistaken)? TNA unfortunately, and obviously, can't get things to work perfectly for them, or the fans, but in TNA's own "universe" (to steal a term from R-Trips) do you personally see a believable world titleholder in Glen Gilberti, considering how the title has been treated so far? The NWA World Title matches have been worlds better than Raw's, but the title itself is lifeless. What do you think? Can you picture Gilberti cutting promos with the title belt on his shoulder for like a month or so?

I say hell yes! Jarrett's fine. But move that damn title already! I almost don't care who gets it anymore so long as it moves from time to time. Or at least stays on a guy who's crazy over, like "Rock" over. Jarrett's nowhere near "crazy" over, even in Nashville. Ya know?

Guest Lemon Drop Kid

I'm tired of Jarrett, but at the same time I love long title reigns, so ... I dunno. I just don't know!

Guest RedJed
I say hell yes! Jarrett's fine. But move that damn title already! I almost don't care who gets it anymore so long as it moves from time to time. Or at least stays on a guy who's crazy over, like "Rock" over. Jarrett's nowhere near "crazy" over, even in Nashville. Ya know?

I agree they should switch the title around soon, but Jarrett actually is still pretty over, believe it or not. Compared to Raven........well we saw that reaction in their match, the crowd was certainly torn (and one area of the crowd was VERY anti-Jarrett, which may have been more just because of their love for Raven).

With that said, the only two guys who deserve that title from Jarrett is Styles and Raven.

Guest Slapnuts00

He's improved but they need to build him up slowly. It feels like hes being thrown into our face. I have no interest in spending money to see Gilberti vs. Jarret.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'm tired of Jarrett as champion too...but for the NWA title especially now that it's based out of the south...I think he's a good fit.

I maintain that I want Gilberti to go over.

I think they can make something out of him. His character could use that title. He's got a feud with Raven already in the offering.

I see his improvement...but I don't buy him as a top contender.

As a person who only follows TNA via the Internet, I can safely say that Gilberti has improved somewhat. But he's not World Title material yet. AJ and/or Raven should have been the person to beat Jarrett, and after the giant beating he took at the hands of half of the TNA roster, Gilberti won't be seen as much of a threat. Its also hurting them not to even have Raven on the show last week, as he is about the most over guy on the roster, judging from the crowd reaction when he lost.

Guest Space_Cowboy

I like Gilberti, but no so much as the #1 contender just yet. I think he can be a legitimate top star in TNA, and maybe by the time he gets his shot he will be, if they can build him up anywhere near as good as they built the Raven-JJ feud up i can definately see him as a future NWA World Champ.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

I've always been a Disco mark, but I never thought he'd grow into his new role like he has. I buy him as a contender, but I don't buy him as champion, if that makes sense.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It makes sense.

There are guys who I don't buy as champion (like...Undertaker for example) but I can certianly buy him as a contender.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I think that he definately improved but there is no question that Styles or Raven should have won in the first place though.

Guest hebtheeagle

I think he has improved vastly since we last saw him in WCW, circa 2001, but I don't think he should have the top spot in the promotion, which is what being the #1 contender is...your 2'nd best behind the champ.