TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

The first time I can recall HHH using the sledgehammer was when the Rock was placed inside a casket and HHH went nuts on it.  I'm pretty sure this was in 99. 

Then again, I could be wrong...

Dames

Correct Dames got it !! Though he did use it next to injure micks knee, so that's when it basically became his prop, but the first time he used it was to attack rock while he was in the casket (it was a rock vs taker casket match btw and it took place prior to over the edge 99, setting up that ppvs rock vs hhh match, which happened after owen died of course). good memories dames and bigm. I guess some of us wrestling fans do not have such short memories after all :cheers:

I was just wondering, does anyone have any pictures of JBL from when he was John Hawk in the GWF? I have always wanted to see what he looked like then.

During the period ('95-'96) where ECW was only running a handful of shows per month, did their wrestlers work other indy shows on the side? I rarely saw the names of any ECW wrestlers in PWI's "Arena Reports" for non-ECW shows during that period.

Beefcake countered the roll at WMIV but fell victim to it at Survivor Series 1987 but Honky didn't dilly-dally w/ the shakin or rattlin that night. So between those two events, you see the maneuver in full. :P

Beefcake countered the roll at WMIV but fell victim to it at Survivor Series 1987 but Honky didn't dilly-dally w/ the shakin or rattlin that night.  So between those two events, you see the maneuver in full.  :P

Ok thanks for clarification, I havent see the wm tapes in ahwile so I forgot. Actually I think he did hit it at wm 5. But I am not so sure.

Guest Fook

He did hit it on Bret during the Hart Foundation/Rhythm and Blues match at WM5, but instead of going for the pin he went and tagged in Greg Valentine. Monsoon even chastised him for it on commentary.

1.) How was the Hogan / Savage feud blown off?

2.) Any idea how Team Justice Vs. Team Roberts would have been booked had Sid not been injured and Jake not removed for the TiT match?

3.) How did Greg Valentine turn face in 90 / 91?

4.) Was Bret supposed to go over Yokozuna at WM 9 or the other way had Hogan not interfered?

5.) Did Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude ever have any tag matches together?

6.) When did Tito Santana become El Matador and when he did retire?

7.) How did the Mountie debut?

1.)  How was the Hogan / Savage feud blown off?

2.)  Any idea how Team Justice Vs. Team Roberts would have been booked had Sid not been injured and Jake not removed for the TiT match?

3.)  How did Greg Valentine turn face in 90 / 91?

4.)  Was Bret supposed to go over Yokozuna at WM 9 or the other way had Hogan not interfered?

5.)  Did Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude ever have any tag matches together?

6.)  When did Tito Santana become El Matador and when he did retire?

7.)  How did the Mountie debut?

1. Never an official blowoff, after wm 5 they had several matches. then he brung in zeus and ha d atag feud against hogan and beefcake.

Hogan did face svage on a SNME in Feb 90 that was supposed to feature Mike Tyson as special ref, but he went and got kod by Buster Doulglas and Douglas took his place as ref. Hogan beat savage then Douglas knocked out savage. I guess that's as close to a blowoff as they ever gave

2. no clue?

3.Valentine I belive turned face shortly before wm 7 in 91 at an msg show, not sure of exact details.

4. Unsure, But if tradition was to be held, youd think Bret would have won, but Yoko had been built up as the new top monster heel so who knows

5.I'm sure they did. Perfect was on Rudes survivor series team in 1989 and actually was the sole survivor for the team.

6.Tito became el matador in the summer of 91 thats when the skits aired. His ppv appearance in the gimmick was survivor series 91 where he was part of duggans winning team with slaughter and kerry von erich.. He stuck around till at least mid 93, losing in the dark match at wm 9 to Papa Shango being his last major event in the WWF. Not sure when he actually retired but I assume late 93 or early 94.

Here's a question: Can an organization copyright a type of match? Like, for instance, could WWE copyright the Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber (the concept, obviously I know they own the rights to the names) so that no other group could do a similar match? Because I can't imagine why WCW never tried to copy the Rumble.......

Guest jm29195
Here's a question: Can an organization copyright a type of match? Like, for instance, could WWE copyright the Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber (the concept, obviously I know they own the rights to the names) so that no other group could do a similar match? Because I can't imagine why WCW never tried to copy the Rumble.......

I think the concept of an actual match is not copyright-able, WCW, whilst it never used the Royal Rumble concept (TNA has though), has used the HIAC gimmick, most notably at Souled Out 2000- they called it a 'Caged Heat' match though.... WWE on the other hand seems to tend not to use WCW gimmick matches such as wargames or the triple cage because Vince doesn't think they are his creations and therefore thy ae not very good!

Valentine was wrestling Saba Simba at MSG. Jimmy Hart tried to hit Simba with the megaphone, but he ducked and the megaphone hit valentine instead. They showed the footage on tv and said that Valentine had fired Jimmy as a result. Earthquake vs Valentine WM 7 was the match that came out of it.

The Mountie got introduced through a series of vignettes. Someone would commit a crime like littering or jaywalking and The Mountie would show up on horseback and send them to jail for 20 years or something like that.

I think the concept of an actual match is not copyright-able, WCW, whilst it never used the Royal Rumble concept (TNA has though), has used the HIAC gimmick, most notably at Souled Out 2000- they called it a 'Caged Heat' match though.... WWE on the other hand seems to tend not to use WCW gimmick matches such as wargames or the triple cage because Vince doesn't think they are his creations and therefore thy ae not very good!

TNA call it a guantlet and its 20 men not 30, so its not technically the same thing.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WCW used the Royal Rumble Concept on Thunder. They called it "countdown to Armegeddon" and it occured 3 days before the Hogan/Jarrett headlined PPV IIRC. Flair won the thing once again IIRC.

Guest Fook
The Mountie got introduced through a series of vignettes.  Someone would commit a crime like littering or jaywalking and The Mountie would show up on horseback and send them to jail for 20 years or something like that.

:lol:

I must see some of these.

Guest jm29195

Has Rowdy Roddy Piper had any decent singles matches post WM8, if so what are they?

Guest The Fuckin Show

He had a good brawl with Goldust at Wrestlemania 12 and again a good match with Jerry The King at one King Of The Ring event. Piper was always more of a brawler but I always liked his work.

If you count WCW, Piper had a nice match with Hogan at Starrcade 96.

Guest The Fuckin Show

I never seen his match with Hogan but always wanted to. I never seen it cause back in the day we never got WCW ppvs in and the UK and I dont even fuckin know why not cause Bishoff had all the money in the world to put it onto tv.

Guest Askewniverse

Piper hasn't had any good singles matches post WrestleMania VIII.

Piper vs. Lawler at KOTR '94 was horrible. It's easily one of the worst main events in WWF PPV history. Bad, bad match with a weak ending.

Hogan vs. Piper from Starrcade '96 was pretty bad too. The announcers didn't even mention that the match was non-title until it was over.

Guest The Fuckin Show

Having a huge match on a ppv and not being for the world title is fucked up

Here's a question: Can an organization copyright a type of match?  Like, for instance, could WWE copyright the Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber (the concept, obviously I know they own the rights to the names) so that no other group could do a similar match?  Because I can't imagine why WCW never tried to copy the Rumble.......

WCW's was on Thunder in Australia in Oct of 2000 before HH2000 w/ intervals of 30 seconds. Mike Awesome won it by last eliminating Kronik w/ Goldberg's help.

actually Tito Santana did comepete in ECW in 93 after he left WWF. Infact he even won the ECW title (when it was still Eastern Championship Wrestling and an NWA affiliate). so I guess he retired sometime after that.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
WCW used the Royal Rumble Concept on Thunder.  They called it "countdown to Armegeddon" and it occured 3 days before the Hogan/Jarrett headlined PPV IIRC.  Flair won the thing once again IIRC.

What am I thinking of? I recall Flair winning some sort of No 1 contendership on the Thunder before the Jarrett/Hogan fiasco.

That match was just a battle royal. You may have confused it with WCW's Rumble -style match because Savage made his entrance while the match was already in progress.

What was the original booking of Regal/X-Pac from SurSer 1998? Seemed really odd. It goes to a DCO when Slaughter has the match restarted. Then, X-Pac hobbles away clutching his neck while Regal eventually chases after him. Seemed really bizarre. Did X-Pac tweak his neck or did the match go as planned?