TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rob Edwards

Best perfromance by a bad actor/actress ever?

Guest Rob Edwards

Any actors/actresses that you absolutley hate that have managed to surprise you by pulling out a great performance?

My vote goes to Leo Di Caprio as Arnie in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape, normally I can't stand the guy but that performance astounded me, from the finger and facial movements right down to the noises Leo had it DOWN

Guest godthedog

di caprio is a damn fine actor, and he gets quite unfairly shit on for being in 'titanic'. i thought he held his own pretty well in 'gangs of new york', his small part in 'celebrity' was great, & in 'catch me if you can' he was pretty damn awesome.

i'll need a day or 2 to think of my own choice.

Guest Mole
di caprio is a damn fine actor, and he gets quite unfairly shit on for being in 'titanic'. i thought he held his own pretty well in 'gangs of new york', his small part in 'celebrity' was great, & in 'catch me if you can' he was pretty damn awesome.

i'll need a day or 2 to think of my own choice.

I concur.

Maybe it is because I haven't seen enough of her movies, but Angelina Jolie in "Girl Interupted". She was great in that, but hasn't impressed me otherwise.

Guest Downhome

I'm not saying he's a truly bad actor, because I've enjoyed a lot that I've seen him in. I would just like to bring up Val Kilmer's performance in Tombstone, as it's just outstanding.

Guest MaxPower27
Damn, I was gonna do Reeves in Bill and Ted.

For me, Tom Cruise in Magnolia.

you think Cruise is a bad actor?

Guest Mole
Damn, I was gonna do Reeves in Bill and Ted.

For me, Tom Cruise in Magnolia.

you think Cruise is a bad actor?

Born on the 4th of July, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, and Jerry Maguire.

Tom was the man in those films.

Guest godthedog

^ tom cruise played tom cruise in all those movies. there's no range there.

Guest Vern Gagne
Madonna found a niche in A League of Their Own

That's probably because she doesn't have a major role in that movie.

Guest Ravenbomb

interesting note aboot her in ALOTO, she played a composite character of people who were in the league, and one of the people she was based on runs the Sunday School in the church I go to.

since when is Charlton Heston a bad actor?

my pick(s):

Nick Cage in Bringing Out the Dead. Can't stand Cage, but he was friggen awsm in this

Guest HellSpawn

Im not saying she is a bad actress but...

I always hate her and she really, really surprised me.

Frances McDormand, in Almost Famous.

Guest godthedog
Im not saying she is a bad actress but...

I always hate her and she really, really surprised me.

Frances McDormand, in Almost Famous.

:huh:

wow. next to julianne moore, frances mcdormand is probably the best actress in america right now.

about heston: i don't think he's particularly BAD, he's just really...vanilla. i've never seen any real range out of him, and he lacks the natural charisma of a tom cruise or a jean-paul belmondo to still be an interesting presence on the screen.

Guest Mole
^ tom cruise played tom cruise in all those movies. there's no range there.

Being an Viet Nam Vet was in his range?

He was still the man in those movies.

Guest J*ingus

If we're to judge her abilities by her jaw-droppingly awful career in the movies, Sarah Michelle Gellar's portrayal of Buffy might technically count here.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I nominate Buffy as the most thankless role EVER.

Not only did she have to do it all (comedy, drama, action, horror) sometimes in the same episode...but she is now forever typecast (or at least when she appears in stuff people will always refer to her as Buffy) AND people always give props to the cast around her instead for being "cooler". And she did it for 7 years.

Guest godthedog
^ tom cruise played tom cruise in all those movies.  there's no range there.

Being an Viet Nam Vet was in his range?

He was still the man in those movies.

that particular vietnam vet was, with that certain tom cruise boyishness & that certain tom cruise way of yelling.

i'm not saying he didn't do really good, cause he did. and i'm not saying he's a bad actor. he's very very good at what he does, which is create a persona that he does variations on for his characters. most movie stars have done that: julia roberts, bruce willis, even john wayne & humphrey bogart. and there's nothing wrong with that, cause when he picks the right roles it comes off spectacularly (like 'jerry maguire'). he just lacks variety in his performances. he plays varying versions of that persona, he doesn't truly play other people. compare him to someone like julianne moore, who can do a complete 180 from role to role, even with the same director. look at 'boogie nights', then look at 'magnolia'. almost everything about those 2 performances is different: the way she speaks, her gestures, the way she carries herself, her whole demeanor. tom cruise has never shown to be able to make that kind of change from role to role. hence, his range is limited.

Guest The Hamburglar

Arnold Schwarzenneger, Terminator 2. He's really good at giving some a sense of developing feeling to the terminator, and Arnie has pretty decent comic timing anyway.

Guest notJames

Courtney Love in The People vs. Larry Flynt. Sure, you could say she was playing herself, but it that's the case, she was perfectly cast.

I'd second Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream, but I can't say how bad I rate him as an actor because I can't really remember his previous gigs.

Guest NoCalMike

As far as a lead role I'd definately go with Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights. His performance in that movie actually drove me to see his other films where I ended up just trying to contain the laughter at his poor acting skills.