TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mrnoitaull

22 Greatest Voices

Guest Agent of Oblivion
You mean...the death metal guy can't get into Maiden? My God, I'm shocked.

To be fair, I despise all power metal that I've heard, so it's not their fault. I like the solos..kinda. I don't even remotely like their stuff overall, but that doesn't mean it's not good. He can sing; they can play. I leave it at that.

Still no top vocalist ever, though.

As an aside, this little exchange got me thinking about how different bands like Iced Earth are from, say..Suffocation. Now THERE's two genres diametrically opposed yet still on the same plane of "metal."

Guest Ripper

Most of the people in this thread are naming people whose music and lyrics they like better. But come on...you cannot honestly say that Freddie Mercury had more vocal range and control as Mariah fuckin Carey. You don't have to like her music, but the girl can sing her ass off.

to be fair, the original post does say 22 Greatest Voices in the past 20 years (?) so that question mark at the end is a bit misleading... and allows you to interpret it as you like.

but... why does a list from MTV matter anyways?

I wasnt sure of it was 20 years or 22 years

Guest WrestlingDeacon
Most of the people in this thread are naming people whose music and lyrics they like better. But come on...you cannot honestly say that Freddie Mercury had more vocal range and control as Mariah fuckin Carey. You don't have to like her music, but the girl can sing her ass off.

Mariah Carey has no control. What she does is called "scooping a pitch" where she basically dips down and up to hit pitches, instead of going straight to the note like a trained singer does. She masks this by going up and down the scale at fast speeds and into high ranges to give her that screechy, screamy quality that she has that people think is good, but isn't. It's not so much style as it is just poor mechanics.

Guest redbaron51

When I saw Def Leppard doing an Unplugged show in Toronto, Phil Collin, bar none, a terrific singer, and should not be a back up.

You might find it on KaZaA, but if you find Hysteria, an unplugged version...dude man. Great fucking vocals.

Bruce > Rob.

End.

Most of the people in this thread are naming people whose music and lyrics they like better.  But come on...you cannot honestly say that Freddie Mercury had more vocal range and control as Mariah fuckin Carey.  You don't have to like her music, but the girl can sing her ass off.

Mariah Carey has no control. What she does is called "scooping a pitch" where she basically dips down and up to hit pitches, instead of going straight to the note like a trained singer does. She masks this by going up and down the scale at fast speeds and into high ranges to give her that screechy, screamy quality that she has that people think is good, but isn't. It's not so much style as it is just poor mechanics.

True that.

Have you ever heard Mariah Carey sing a song without all the histrionics? No? Its because she can't. Imagine Mariah Carey singing, for example, Stand Be Me, or something by the Beatles. It would suck like a toothless whore.

Guest The Czech Republic

I can't believe the Final Cut love here. Even "More" is better than The Final Cut!

Guest mesepher
I can't believe the Final Cut love here. Even "More" is better than The Final Cut!

NO!

I don't know.. More is pretty wicked cool!

Guest HellSpawn

Hey Agent of Oblivion...

You hate Bruce, OK. I like Bruce and Rob, I think Rob is better, and some guy said it before, he is a Metal God.

What do you think of Michael Kiske from Helloween ?

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

Ugh. Besides King Diamond, Michael Kiske has the cheesiest voice I've ever heard.

Guest HellSpawn

What?

You think Kiske is "King Diamond" level?

C'm F'n' on.

Diamond suck worse than Xpac. With all that "Evil" gimmick.

Kiske is IMO a great voice.

Well, I haven't really heard much Helloween, but I really, really hated the vocals. Maybe not as bad as King Diamond, but still.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Wow. I said that exact same thing a couple days ago.

I don't hate Bruce Dickinson one bit. He has a good voice, but that's it in my book. I never found it nearly as breathtaking as some folks do.

I don't like Rob Halford either, simply because he screams like a girl WAY too much, and doesn't counteract it with stuff in a lower register enough. Another case of having a killer voice, but not doing anything with it I find enjoyable or interesting.

I can't fucking stand Helloween. His voice isn't good. It's the same horribly annoying cheeseass squeal constantly.

King Diamond is of course the paragon of all things cheesy and queer. His constant cavalcade of helium-enduced whining makes my spinal fluid curdle into a substance not unlike curds and whey. He attempts to pack as many "hidden meanings" and nonsense into his garbage as possible, and it comes across about as engrossing as a game of Old Maid with a bald guy on thorazine.

Just to hammer the point home further, I present the following, credit The King Diamond Coven:

m_king.jpg

A sample of his song "Daddy":

(Music & Lyrics: Diamond)

Oh Daddy... I'm so alone, Oh Daddy... come home

Oh Daddy... I've missed you so

Oh Daddy... tell me what to do

Daddy don't look at me like that

I didn't do it... HE did... It was HIM

I could never... I could never

I wasn't even there

SOLO: Andy

If you actually need to see more than that, feel free to follow the link I provided. It's bad. Not just your average run of the mill bad..but a SPECIAL kind of bad.

I really enjoy Halford's voice. I suggest you all download Victim Of Changes to hear some absolutely awesome vocal work. And it's not really even power metal.

And also, Halford era Priest can have some really cheesy stuff, too. Download The Ripper and Epitaph for a few examples.

Guest Ripper
Most of the people in this thread are naming people whose music and lyrics they like better.  But come on...you cannot honestly say that Freddie Mercury had more vocal range and control as Mariah fuckin Carey.  You don't have to like her music, but the girl can sing her ass off.

True that.

Have you ever heard Mariah Carey sing a song without all the histrionics? No? Its because she can't. Imagine Mariah Carey singing, for example, Stand Be Me, or something by the Beatles. It would suck like a toothless whore.

No that's not true. I heard her give a beautiful rendition of Danny boy(don't ask me why Mariah Carey was singing danny boy)and coincidentally Stand By Me in which she displayed a incredible amount of voice control.

Most of what you said would apply to someone like Christina Agularia who has good range and power but not as much control so she masks it. But Mariah's is more of playing to her genre of music. R&B as a genre, scooping a pitch is a viewed as a show of vocal control that is celebrated by most all of the artist in the genre who can do it well. Artist like Boyz II Men (who should be on that list BTW) who have more vocal control individually than most people dream of do it all the time all the while they constantly display their ability to go directly to the note when they remake oldies (such as Still of the Night and Yesterday) You can't fault Mariah for using techniques that are decades old in her chosen genre. That's like saying a rock band doesn't have much musical talent because they use a guitar all the time.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

True that.

No that's not true. I heard her give a beautiful rendition of Danny boy(don't ask me why Mariah Carey was singing danny boy)and coincidentally Stand By Me in which she displayed a incredible amount of voice control.

Most of what you said would apply to someone like Christina Agularia who has good range and power but not as much control so she masks it. But Mariah's is more of playing to her genre of music. R&B as a genre, scooping a pitch is a viewed as a show of vocal control that is celebrated by most all of the artist in the genre who can do it well. Artist like Boyz II Men (who should be on that list BTW) who have more vocal control individually than most people dream of do it all the time all the while they constantly display their ability to go directly to the note when they remake oldies (such as Still of the Night and Yesterday) You can't fault Mariah for using techniques that are decades old in her chosen genre. That's like saying a rock band doesn't have much musical talent because they use a guitar all the time.

Obviously you're not a trained singer and you have no idea what 'scooping a pitch' means. And before you ask, yes I do have voice training and do know what I'm talking about. There's a difference between going up and down the register clearly and precisely, which is what I've heard Boys II Men do and yes they are remarkable R&B singers, and having the voice ramble through the register. You can't pick out the individual notes when Mariah is doing that crazy junk of hers and you can hear how the half steps inbetween the main pitches are muddled and 'dipping' into the next pitch and note. What leads Mariah that screeching quality is the fact that she's hitting everything too high or too low and she doesn't have the control to hold the note in, if she does have this ability she rarely shows it. Yes people have been tricked into thinking that's style, but it's a far cry from the voice control and technical profience of classic R&B singers like Smokey Robinson and Marvin Gaye. If you like Mariah that's fine, but don't be jacking off to how great of a technical marvel she is when she isn't.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I'm more into the throaty baritone, but I think Seal does have a remarkable tenor. The only thing I would say against him is that he needs to tighten his falsetto and 'head voice' (the highest register you can hit before flipping into a falsetto) with better breath control. His voice does thin out and sound a bit whispy when he tries to go too high. For comparison, check out the higher ends of Darryll Hall's singing, who is one of the most technically proficient pop tenors ever.

For comparison, check out the higher ends of Darryll Hall's singing, who is one of the most technically proficient pop tenors ever.

I think that Darryl Hall is a great vocalist, but never gets any credit simply for being a member of Hall & Oates. Damn that Oates.

Guest goodhelmet
For comparison, check out the higher ends of Darryll Hall's singing, who is one of the most technically proficient pop tenors ever.

I think that Darryl Hall is a great vocalist, but never gets any credit simply for being a member of Hall & Oates. Damn that Oates.

but in all honesty, most of hall and oates best stuff was done in the 70's. if you had never seen hall, after listening to "she's gone", you would swear that it was a black man singing.

Guest notJames

Finally, someone giving props to the "white soul" stylings of Hall and Oates. Glad I'm not the only one. And yes, Darryl Hall has an amazing and oft-ignored voice.