TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mrnoitaull

22 Greatest Voices

Guest INXS

MTV.com had a poll a few months back with about 40 names on it for the "22 Greatest Voices." So it's the same kids who pick the order of TRL who picked these. I'm shocked Freddie Mercury was as high on the list as he was.

Guest Spicy McHaggis
Seal

Damn

True

do you know when his new album comes out?

Guest two_tuff_toddy

"QUOTE (Mrnoitaull @ Jun 12 2003, 05:13 PM)

QUOTE (Spicy McHaggis @ Jun 12 2003, 11:00 AM)

Seal

Damn

True

do you know when his new album comes out?"

Sorry but I have to get this off my chest.

FUCKING GAY. God I hate Seal with a burning passion.

I doubt anyone will agree with me but

Maynard James Keenan

I doubt anyone will agree with me but

Maynard James Keenan

Oh, I agree. I love Maynard's voice. It's so unique. Until Chevelle came around, there was no one that sounded like him. And the dude from Chevelle is just TRYING TOO HARD to sound like Maynard.

Guest Memphis

Meatloaf? I've yet to find someone who sings their heart out as strongly as he does.

Michael Jackson's voice is instantly recognisable and was the voice of an entire decade, he should be much higher on that list.

Axl Rose could scream the botox off half of those entrants.

Gay. Gay. Gay.

Metal M

Guest spiny norman

John Lennon's voice is instantly recognisable and was the voice of a decade, yet I wouldn't put him in a top 20 voices list.

Madonna's voice is also instantly recognisable and she could be arguably bigger than Jackson was, but she's not on this list.

Guest saturnmark4life

Madonna's voice might be recognisable, but she's certainly not a great singer. I can't see how she can be compared to MJ, who was singing better lead vocals than her when he was nine.

Should I bother pissing and moaning that Morrissey isn't there? I mean, you all know what I think.

Morriseys great vocals came from his lyrics and flow, not his voice as such. He didn't have a great range, either in tune or passion.

Also, for those who have been singing Grace's praises for Jeff Buckleys vocals, check out Sketches For My Sweetheart My Drunk. It's got, IMHO, better singing than Grace.

Also, if this is the 22 best singers since 1983, I don't think Freddie Mercury should be that high. His reputation was built on his singing in the seventies. In the eighties, his vocals were hidden more behind slight distortion, and his range was much slighter.

Guest HellSpawn
MTV just recently had a special on the topic: "22 Greatest Voices" in the past 20 years (?) and for those who have missed it , here's the list:

1. Mariah Carey

2. Freddie Mercury

3. Whitney Houston

4. Bono

5. Christina Aguilera

6. Alanis Morissette

7. Kurt Cobain

8. Björk

9. Celine Dion

10. Tupac Shakur

11. Michael Jackson

12. Chris Cornell

13. Eminem

14. David Bowie

15. Alicia Keys

16. Steven Tyler

17. Jewel

18. Thom Yorke

19. Mary J. Blige

20. Michael Stipe

21. Sade

22. Bruce Springsteen

Now do you all think they left anyone out? or do you think one has gotten over the other.

I personally think that Thom Yorke should have been alot over than he was, more like #11! but thats just me

anyway , your thoughts

Alanis? Cobain? Eminem? Jewel? Björk? Are this people insane? And please dont tell me Mariah was over Freddie.

Whats next? Marilyn Manson?

About Tupac, Yorke or Blige I cant comment, I never hear something of them so, move on.

Now about Who is not here...

How about some of the greatest Rock/Heavy singers?

Bruce Dickinson

David Coverdale

Ian F'n Gillan !!!!

Rob Halford

Where the Hell is Mick Jagger?

I can accept XTina, been honest, she is really a good singer, her voice is great.

Carey.. Ok great voice, but.. how about Billie F'n Holiday?

Guest godthedog

a) look closely, it says "of the last 20 years."

b) you've never heard anything by tupac or radiohead?

c) bjork is a goddess.

i agree with putting mariah over freddie, but that's just my opinion. i'm a total mark for her early stuff, & i've always found freddie kind of overrated.

Guest mesepher

to be fair, the original post does say 22 Greatest Voices in the past 20 years (?) so that question mark at the end is a bit misleading... and allows you to interpret it as you like.

but... why does a list from MTV matter anyways?

Guest HellSpawn

I m not a Rap fan, so Tupac is like me (a mexican) talking to you about some latin pop singer.

I hear some Radiohead stuff, but not enough to look for "who is in this group".

I never like Bjork.

OK, yeah, I made a mistake, it clearly says 20 years :)

But still, all but Gillan made music on the last 20 years.

Edit: In fact, Gillan did made some music, I remember Deep Purple play down here in early 90s.

Im not saying Mercury is the greatest... but certainly is clearly over Mariah. And I like some of her early work too.

Guest Midnight Express83

Quick question: did anyone forget that LUTHER VANDROSS is alive and making music? I mean, he sing the fucking phone book and make it sound great.

Guest The Czech Republic

can Dave Gilmour sneak in under the 20-year rule? Even though that wouldn't include his best, it still gets a few in from Momentary Lapse and Division Bell. Hell, all three Pink Floyd vocalists are great in their own unique way. (For all general intents and purposes, pretend "The Fletcher Memorial Home" was never recorded.)

Guest CoreyLazarus416

No Halford? No Lemmy? NO DICKINSON?!

Pfft! Bruce can out-sing ALL of those fuckers!

Guest The Czech Republic
No Halford? No Lemmy? NO DICKINSON?!

Pfft! Bruce can out-sing ALL of those fuckers!

Lemmy is cool but sucks.

Dickinson is nothing special.

can Dave Gilmour sneak in under the 20-year rule? Even though that wouldn't include his best, it still gets a few in from Momentary Lapse and Division Bell. Hell, all three Pink Floyd vocalists are great in their own unique way. (For all general intents and purposes, pretend "The Fletcher Memorial Home" was never recorded.)

The Fletcher Memorial Home, like all of The Final Cut, ROCKS~!

The greatest Floyd album of all time.

Guest mesepher
The Fletcher Memorial Home, like all of The Final Cut, ROCKS~!

The greatest Floyd album of all time.

considering the circumstances of the times... this thing should have never even been a Floyd album, period. If you happen to look at the inside cover you'll find some interesting notes as well: "written by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd"

so yeah... this should have been Roger's first solo album

Bruce is a little more than "nothing special", but he's not Halford. Rob can outsing just about everyone alive. He's still the Metal God.

I have to agree with mespher. i[]The Final Cut[/i] is the best alum The Floyd ever did. It's great from beginning to end. Some of Gilmour's best guitar work can be found on that album, especially "The Gunner's Dream."

Guest mesepher
Bruce is a little more than "nothing special", but he's not Halford. Rob can outsing just about everyone alive. He's still the Metal God.

I have to agree with mespher. i[]The Final Cut[/i] is the best alum The Floyd ever did. It's great from beginning to end. Some of Gilmour's best guitar work can be found on that album, especially "The Gunner's Dream."

I think you misread my post... I was commenting on how it should have never been a Floyd album. I do enjoy it though, it used to depress me quite often... but those times have passed. Lyically, it may in fact be the best?

any reasons why James LaBrie isn't on that list of shitty "singers?" man, that guy can belt it out. awesome range too!

I think you misread my post... I was commenting on how it should have never been a Floyd album. I do enjoy it though, it used to depress me quite often... but those times have passed. Lyically, it may in fact be the best?

Yeah, it was me giving The Final Cut love. It's like The Wall, only good.

Also, because it's so Roger dominated, I think it's the most emotional lyric-wise.

Guest mesepher
It's like The Wall, only good.

that's the funniest thing I've heard all day, thanks man. :lol:

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This might be hasty since I haven't listened to the album in ages, but you sir, are bonkers. Whether it's good shit or not is immaterial. Can it match up to Animals, Meddle, or Ummagumma? I sure as hell didn't think so the last time I listened to it. It just seemed like a sum of its parts to me, and not a cohesive whole.

Also, other notes on vocalists..

This is probably the thing in music that I'm really fucking picky about. Most bands at some point have done a good riff here or there, by accident or by design, but with vocals, someone earlier said it well..you've either got it, or NOT.

Lots of these examples, like the classical tenors, et al, have a set of fuckin' pipes, to be sure, but I've never been emotionally moved by any of them. Is it because they lack emotion? Not necessarily. Is it because I'm largely an uncultured fucker? Somewhat, but I never claimed to have a knowhow when it comes to classical music.

Also, Bruce Dickinson..oh man. He does NOT belong on this list. Can he sing well? Sure..but the lyrics just make me shake my head..

Run to the hills? Run for my life, huh?

My mind was blank..

6..66, the number of the beast..

JESUS, I could spread that shit on a cracker it's so cheesy.

It can be argued that "Yeah, well, this is just about their voice and nothing else," but I can't get into that. Singers are identified with their songs for a reason.

This might be hasty since I haven't listened to the album in ages, but you sir, are bonkers. Whether it's good shit or not is immaterial. Can it match up to Animals, Meddle, or Ummagumma? I sure as hell didn't think so the last time I listened to it. It just seemed like a sum of its parts to me, and not a cohesive whole.

I think that TFC's cohesiveness is based as much on the production and tone as the songs. And it is surprisingly catchy and tuneful when you get into it. It's the only Floyd album I can listen to without wanting to skip a track, or thinking a song is beginning to lag, probably because the songs are relatively short.

Guest The Metal Maniac

To be fair, you really can't blame any of those lyrics on Bruce. After all, Harris wrote them all.

And I'd recommend that if you really wanna see what type of lyrics that Bruce writes, then perhaps you should look into his solo work, or, you know, more then 2 Iron Maiden songs, both from the same album.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
To be fair, you really can't blame any of those lyrics on Bruce. After all, Harris wrote them all.

No shit? Well hell. You know your Maiden better than me by a substantial margin, so I'll give ya that. I've never really been able to get into them much, personally, and as a result, have never bothered to pay much attention to his solo stuff.

I've heard Skunkworks, and wasn't feeling it.

Guest The Metal Maniac

You mean...the death metal guy can't get into Maiden? My God, I'm shocked. :P

Anyway though, I will tell you that Skunkworks seems to be looked at as one of his worse solo albums - you'd probably be better off with Accident of Birth but then again, it's still Bruce singing, so you'd probably hate that too anyway.

Hey, I tried.