TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mrnoitaull

22 Greatest Voices

MTV just recently had a special on the topic: "22 Greatest Voices" in the past 20 years (?) and for those who have missed it , here's the list:

1. Mariah Carey

2. Freddie Mercury

3. Whitney Houston

4. Bono

5. Christina Aguilera

6. Alanis Morissette

7. Kurt Cobain

8. Björk

9. Celine Dion

10. Tupac Shakur

11. Michael Jackson

12. Chris Cornell

13. Eminem

14. David Bowie

15. Alicia Keys

16. Steven Tyler

17. Jewel

18. Thom Yorke

19. Mary J. Blige

20. Michael Stipe

21. Sade

22. Bruce Springsteen

Now do you all think they left anyone out? or do you think one has gotten over the other.

I personally think that Thom Yorke should have been alot over than he was, more like #11! but thats just me

anyway , your thoughts

Guest Youth N Asia

um...Eminem? Does he really have a great voice? And the fact that's he's even on the list 7 SPOTS ABOVE MICHAEL STIPE NO LESS!

Guest Cavi

I think Sarah McLachlan absolutely owns some of those people, especially Jewel.

Guest godthedog

no way should alanis be there.

michael jackson should be number 1.

get christina THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.

glad they gave props to bjork, but i would've put her higher.

the rest i won't bother with.

Guest mesepher

so noone in Motown has a good voice apparently? Roger Daltrey sucks the big one too. Kurt Cobain? M and M? 2 pack? Thom Yorke?

wow.

like I've said before... 'a daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain'

Guest Madmartigan21

Where the fuck was Pat Benatar? She was one of the artists in the early days of MTV that BUILT the joint. Not to mention that she has the most incredible female voice ever.

Freddie Mercury should have been number one, considering that he's the greatest singer in the history of recorded music PERIOD.

Guest mesepher
Freddie Mercury should have been number one, considering that he's the greatest singer in the history of recorded music PERIOD.

that's a pretty risky statement pal, you probably think Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist in the history of recorded music too, eh?

Guest Rob Edwards

Matt Bellamy of Muse should be in there imo, Download Plug in baby for evidence

Guest WrestlingDeacon

No Jim Morrison and no Motown, because it's from the past twenty years, since 1983. Read the criteria before you start bitching. And notice no country, no blues, no jazz and this is supposed to be 22 Greatest Voices, it should say 22 Greatest Rock Voices or 22 Greatest Voices Belonging to People MTV Creams Themselves Over.

Guest Rob Edwards

I'm not getting Eminem in this, he's not got a great voice, a great flow yes but singing wise he's poor

Guest Madmartigan21
Freddie Mercury should have been number one, considering that he's the greatest singer in the history of recorded music  PERIOD.

that's a pretty risky statement pal, you probably think Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist in the history of recorded music too, eh?

Risky? Is an anvil going to drop on my head on the off chance I'm wrong?

OK, who's better than Freddie Mercury and why?

To be honest I never cared for Jimmi Hendrix's songs. If he's the greatest guitarest of all time that's fine I suppose. But I still don't care for his music.

I think some knowledge of how to play guitar, of which I have none, would be needed to evaluate the all time greatest guitarists. Where as EVERYBODY sings from time to time, be it alone or in front of an audience. Singing is also much more of a natural talent. Sure schooling CAN help, but in the end it comes down to either you have it or you don't . But everyone can sing song and have it be recognizable. Where as you can't just pick up a guitar and start playing a song even on a rudimentary level without at least SOME education. This makes judging singersmuch more accessible than judging guitar players, IMO. All that makes me feel quite free to "risk" calling Freddie Mercury the best ever. Nobody had the vocal AND emotional range of Freddie Mercury. Nobody.

Guest Rob Edwards

I'm sure you can make an argument for Pavarotti being better than Mercury seeing as he can reach more notes

Guest Ripper

I too am puzzled by the Eminem admittance. Lauryn Hill should be there somewhere. And hate on Christina all you want, you KNOW that girl has one hell of a voice.

Oh and...MARY J. BLIGE!!!! SHE CAN'T SING!!! This isn't a secret amoung even her biggest fans. And Alisha Keys doesn't have that great a voice either.

Freddie Mercury should have been number one, considering that he's the greatest singer in the history of recorded music  PERIOD.

To be honest I never cared for Jimmi Hendrix's songs. If he's the greatest guitarest of all time that's fine I suppose. But I still don't care for his music.

I think some knowledge of how to play guitar, of which I have none, would be needed to evaluate the all time greatest guitarists. Where as EVERYBODY sings from time to time, be it alone or in front of an audience. Singing is also much more of a natural talent. Sure schooling CAN help, but in the end it comes down to either you have it or you don't . But everyone can sing song and have it be recognizable. Where as you can't just pick up a guitar and start playing a song even on a rudimentary level without at least SOME education. This makes judging singersmuch more accessible than judging guitar players, IMO. All that makes me feel quite free to "risk" calling Freddie Mercury the best ever. Nobody had the vocal AND emotional range of Freddie Mercury. Nobody.

Jeff Buckley > Freddie Mercury

I don't think that Freddie ever really got to the emotional heights that others did. He was better than most, and under-rated by many, but he didn't have the emotional depth of, say, Bill Withers, Thom Yorke or Johny Cash.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Nice going, chave, I so mark for Bill Withers and Johnny Cash. I would also put Marvin Gaye in there as a guy with so much emotional depth and had remarkable range. And if you are talking best vocalists of all time, you can't overlook the classic crooners like Sinatra, Crosby, Martin and Davis.

Madmartigan, I think you need explain why you think Freddy Mercury is the best singer ever before you start challenging people to say why he isn't and who's better.

Guest notJames
…eMpTyV

I would charge you the $2 for copyright infringement, but since it's a first offense (that I know about), I'll let it slide. ;)

No Jeff Buckley? Piffle and poppycock.

My sentiments exactly. Someone needs to get Madmartigan21 a copy of Grace

And how could they omit gals like Ann Wilson and Pat Benatar, who are the pinnacle of female rock singers? What morons compiled this list, and why are they allowed to procreate?

Misinformed pop-icon-pandering lists make baby Jesus cry.

Guest 5_moves_of_doom

Wasn't the point of Kurdt Cobain (Kurt Cobain) the fact that he DIDN'T have a good voice? I mean, really now, JESUS. I love the guy and all, but he's famous for his screechy voice and while it may be entertaining, on an actual voice scale it's in no way "good."

Guest Youth N Asia

Kurt Cobain is on the list cause he killed himself. If he was still around today he wouldn't have been near the icon he is now.

Guest godthedog
Wasn't the point of Kurdt Cobain (Kurt Cobain) the fact that he DIDN'T have a good voice? I mean, really now, JESUS. I love the guy and all, but he's famous for his screechy voice and while it may be entertaining, on an actual voice scale it's in no way "good."

it's got the same appeal as a lou reed voice or a bob dylan voice. technically not very "good," but still incredibly effective because of its grit & emotion. and the man had a hell of a guttural scream, his vocals MAKE "where did you sleep last night."

Guest mesepher

dude, you missed the point entirely. Declaring someone the best is kind of ridiculous unless you have heard near to all of the other singers out there, ever. Somehow I don't think you're a fan of opera or classical singing... he may be your favorite singer, but not the best ever. BY calling him best ever, you've discounted every singer who's ever lived including all Jazz, Opera, and classical singers... whatever.

oh, and about the anvil... this is not a phyiscal world (the internet)... therefore the anvil is not a tangible object...

Guest alkeiper

I concur with Jeff Buckley. Grace is a damn amazing album, and he left us too soon.

Guest alkeiper
Nice going, chave, I so mark for Bill Withers and Johnny Cash. I would also put Marvin Gaye in there as a guy with so much emotional depth and had remarkable range. And if you are talking best vocalists of all time, you can't overlook the classic crooners like Sinatra, Crosby, Martin and Davis.

This may make you feel old, but Marvin Gaye would fall outside the 20 year rule as well.

Guest spiny norman

Roy Orbison had some stuff in the past 20 years.

Prince.

The rest have already been mentioned.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

This may make you feel old, but Marvin Gaye would fall outside the 20 year rule as well.

I was saying Gaye as one of the best all time, but he did die in 1984 and his last album was in 1983 so technically you could count him.