TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Meh.. I've heard it referred to the EPL thru ESPN and FSX (Fox Soccer Channel) so I just call it that for short because I assume all know what the EPL is.. to those that don't know, I'll call it the Premiership.

As far as us all being behind Liverpool? Yeah.. I'm not a big fan of Euro clubs and since my dreams of an all-English final are in the shitter, Liverpool is who I'm going with.

What scares me is that Liverpool this year (atleast in UEFA) have been a bit of a yo-yo.. one game or leg they'll play their hearts out and thread passes together wonderfully. Other games.. they seem to sit back and then try to just loft a highball into the box in hopes Crouch or someone can get up and head it in. Against Milan.. I don't see how they can play the latter and expect to walk out victors in Athens.

"Forget the two away goals. With one swing of Wayne Rooney's boot on Tuesday night the whole mindset of the tie changed in an instant. The pressure has been heaped on Milan, and I believe that Milan side is ordinary.

Not only will United get a result in Italy next week, they will beat Milan in their own backyard. I think they've got the Italians running scared - they're not a great team and they know it.

Sure, Kaka is brilliant but go through the team - the keeper is dodgy and the back four is creaking and should hold no fear for United's forwards. Anything else to be scared of? Pirlo? No. Seedorf? No. Ambrosini? No. Gilardino? Definitely not.

I believe we'll have an all-English final. The only question is whether Chelsea or Liverpool will be involved."

From Andy Gray last week, almost as ignorant as the "Benfica would get relegated in the Premiership" he said last year before they beat Liverpool twice.

Haha, the EPL.

Never heard it in that term.

We're all behind Liverpool then.

Side question, does anybody know how the Championship Play-Off's are going to work?

In past seasons, it's always been 3rd vs 5th and 4th vs 6th, but someone told me its 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 this year. Then someone told me different.

I can't find any links on the Internet that confirm anything.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You slate some American for calling it the EPL which is the common term in America, just like we call football in America "American Football".

And then you dont have a clue about the play offs.

Its always been 3rd vs 6th and 5th vs 4th. Sort out your facts mate look at the history, learn soming b4 you go trashing someone for calling it the EPL when you yourself has no clue.

^That guy's right, albeit in a silly way.

Southampton vs Derby, with the second leg at Pride Park. Do them over for us, please?

-Rant Typing Warning-

The following might not make 100% sense.

Wow, yet again Newcastle United are managerless again. Skysportnews are reporting that Roeder has resigned from his position, althought there's been no news from the club themselves. If this is the case that would make almost a new manager for each of the last 3 seasons; Souness, Roeder & whoever replaces him.

Likely suspects:

Sam Allaydice

Stuart Pearce

Sven Gorn Ericsson

Alan Shearer w/ Rob Lee

Personally, yet again, I'm not sure who's going to take over, a few years ago I wouldn't have predicted Graham Souness becoming manager, would never have guessed that Glenn Roeder would have replaced him. As it stands, if you were a manager, would you want to manage Newcastle United? Don't get me wrong, its the team I've supported since I was a kid, but we're not the club we were 10 years ago, we're not even the club we were 5 years ago, yet the chairman - Freddy Shepard - seems to think we are. As such, he's trigger happy when it comes to sacking managers. Would you want to step into a crosshair from day 1?

It's a sad state of affiars but Newcastle United and fans need to realise we're not a top5 team anymore, we're mid table also ran wash outs. I have no idea why people insist on calling us a 'big club', the only thing I can see that would qualify us to be a 'Big Club' is the stupid over the top

Glenn Roeder has done nothing wrong since he took over from Souness, he restored some belief in the players and did well with what he had. However, I do think his tranfers this season were a little questionable. The signings of Duff and Martins being the sum total of his transfer budget the beginning of this season at 15m (with Bernard and Sibs on a free), the least any Newcastle United manager has been given in an off season since we came up from the Old Division 1 as Champions back in 93 (maybes the writing was on the wall from the start of last season). When your talisman, Alan Shearer retires, and you witness your only remaning striker roll over and practically die on the pitch during an International, its strange that he'd go out and buy a Left Winger for 5m in Damien Duff.

Left Wingers are certinaly something Newcastle United were screaming out for last season, Charles N'Zogbia had had a great season the season before Alan O'Brien looked promising, while Damien Duff looked nothing like the Damien Duff who played for Blackburn that made everyone sit up and take notice of him before Chelsea signed him. So that 5m was a waste of money, considering, we never got around to buying that defender we never get around to buying. To top of it off Duff was then out for most of this season with injury problems, something he is known for. Don't get me wrong, Duffs a good player, but he was an un needed player for us at the time. If we had signed him after had sorted our defence out I would have been pretty pleased with signing him as cheap as we did.

Roeder then sat and said Sol Campbell was too old only to watch Sol Campbell but in an effort this season for Portsmouth to be a candidate for Premiership Team of the Season. He allowed Woodgate to go to Middlesboro, which is a double edged sword as if we had signed Woodgate, young James Milner would have went to Aston Villa, which would have been a huge lose for Newcastle - however, again that's a question transfer decision allowing a young promosing midfielder like James Milner go to Aston Villa.

Come the Jan transfer window, Roeder went out and loaned in an American defender, who played 3 games and never looked good.

Obi Martins? Personally think the guy has done well this season even if he has been a bit hit and miss, but I would never have thought he was the guy to replace Alan Shearer and take up the #9 shirt - a legacy in itself (there was talk of retiring it). Martins cost 10m , that's 10m for a striker who's age was disputed - is 22 or 33? - , that's 10m for a striker that never got a regular starting game at Milan so hadn't proven himself. 10m for a striker that's never played in the premiership and would have to adapt to the way the games played, which takes at least a season, a season he didn't have due to the fact that everyone else was injured.

What Glenn Roder did during the World Cup is anyones guess, infact, whatever World Cup Glenn Roeder was watching is anyones guess as well. He decided that all the strikers he had watched weren't actually good for Newcastle United, however Kuyt was good enough for Liverpool, the young German leftback Lahm for me was player of the World Cup, as was the German Striker Oliver Neuville

10m could have got Andy Johnson, Ruud Van Nist, Dirk Kuyt...

Oliver Bernard didn't even play a game for us this season.

Sibs however has been a great team player and didn't cost us a penny. He scored some really vital goals, did his job, never complained and seemed to be thanking the club every week for saving his career.

If the rumours are true and Roeder has resigned then, I'm not sure what's going to happen to Newcastle United. I personally don't want Big Sam to take over, don't want Stuart Pearce and don't want Sven Gorn. For all I've written about Glenn Roeder up top, I'd have liked him continue to be manager, as he is no worse then the guys they want to take over from him, he brings a bit of stability to the team, something the club hasn't had since Keegan and then Bobby Robson. What Newcastle United need to do is have the guts to stand up and sack the players that are ultimately the true failings behind our demise.

Dyer? I was pleased he didn't have to retire through injury, I wouldn't wish that upon any sportsman at all, if anything his constant injuries have probably helped him grow up as a person and realise how much football is all he is. However, when you've been the 'next big thing' for almost 8 years, you've got to realise that you need to prove yourself when you're fit, he's just so hit and miss its fustrating.

Stephan Carr - never been a fan of him, has done nothing for the club, is a horrible player to watch play certainly not a role model for kids. He shouts and balls at the ref, complains about everything, he's a right back that wants to play right wing and is often caught of position. When he is caught out of position he doesn't look like he can be bothered to run back to get into position.

Babyaro - Needs to go. Needed to have went last season. Has no love for the club, no desire to succeed with us and it shows. I'm going to say this now, and I support Newcastle, Newcastle fans are fickle. You can be the worst player in the world, but if we see you're going to run yourself into the ground, run yourself through brickwalls for our club, we'll sing your name for years to come.

Bramble - If I hear a commentator say 'He has everything it takes to be a top class defender' one more time, I'm going to throw the telly out of the window. The guy lacks the 1 thing it takes to be a top class defender and that's concentration.

An Alan Shearer/Rob Lee partnership would be a fantasty for many Newcastle Fans, I'm not sure how well it would work.

Would it be a return to the Keegan era?

I read a while ago in a Newcastle Fanzine about a Toon fan that went on holiday over to the states and went to an American Football game - a Cleveland Browns game. He said that it was strangely odd how much the Cleveland Browns were like the Newcastle United of the NFL, and now that we've went through yet another 'head coach', I'm tempted to believe him.

Haha, the EPL.

Never heard it in that term.

We're all behind Liverpool then.

Side question, does anybody know how the Championship Play-Off's are going to work?

In past seasons, it's always been 3rd vs 5th and 4th vs 6th, but someone told me its 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 this year. Then someone told me different.

I can't find any links on the Internet that confirm anything.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You slate some American for calling it the EPL which is the common term in America, just like we call football in America "American Football".

And then you dont have a clue about the play offs.

Its always been 3rd vs 6th and 5th vs 4th. Sort out your facts mate look at the history, learn soming b4 you go trashing someone for calling it the EPL when you yourself has no clue.

How did I 'slate him' or 'trash him'?

I said 'haha', as in a general non-offensive way, I didn't do some gay 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA' like some other moron would do.

I'm sorry for 'not checking my facts' but I had that idea stuck in my head from somewhere, and since nobody had mentioned in to me, I assumed it was right.

Chill the fuck out, man.

Great result for you, really good match to watch as well.

There's an interesting video on the website with Gary about the secrets of promotion, he had all the players write down what they were going to do to win 8 of the last 12 games, he then displayed the results on their pegs before every game to remind them what they needed to do.

Fowler's last game in Red tomorrow. Hopefully Dudek gets the runout too.

That's going to suck, seeing those two go. It'll be an emotional day, that's for sure.

At Anfield, I mean. If Athens comes and it goes to penalties, Fowler will be on for sure. And maybe he can pot the winner too.

DERBY ARE CHEATING BASTARDS

Whoa, Dave, hold the phone. I've known you a LONG time dating back to the #boyd days, and I happen to think you're okay, but seriously, what game were you watching?

Playoffs bring out the worst in people. I've still got a bone to pick with Leicester in the 92/93 season. They won with a goal that was blatantly offside, the cheating fucks. Plus VH was a tad drunk, I believe.

In other news, Pompey have finished 9th. Not bad, but we had a goal disallowed which would have put us into 7th and Europe. Hipefully we'll get a shot in the Intertoto.

Although Pele was a spastic the foul was outside the box so we were a bit unlucky there but with a ref as clueless as that you're asking for trouble.

Thought we should have had a pen when Kenwyne went down.

Saga should have scored at least one of his chances.

Right, gripes over..... As to the match in general.....

We can't muddle through on Tuesday with 3 of our back 4 out. Unless Bale is fit and/or Powell/Claus we are buggered IMO. Today we were good in spells but didn't relax enough on the ball. There is no point having Belmadi, Saga and Guthrie in the side if you are going to pump it long the second you get it. With respect to Belmadi in particular, he does not play the wide midifield position as a wide midfielder - this is fine against the really awful teams in the CCC because your full-back can bomb past him and you still have a winger. Against a slightly better team like Derby though you can't rely in this. We lacked shape in midfield. This is OK when you are creating 10 yard triangles like we were in the last 20 or 15 mins but we aren't good enough to do that all match unless we're playing someone ****e.

We looked better in the last 20 mins when Viafara and the back 4 started passing the ball instead of just kicking it forward. Don't know why we tried to play so direct today, it was as though we were trying to show Derby we're as good at route 1 as they are. Bit stupid given that that's there standard tatic and we haven't really got the right players to do that.

It's weird though because although we were prety crap today I still think we might do it on Tuesday. We should certainly score 1 or 2 if Saga is fit, it's just that back 4 and midfield shape which I'm worried about. We need to go there and knock the ball around patiently and the goals will come.

I think that on balance for the season, it would be a travesty if Derby didn't get promoted, as they were 3rd by a country mile.

However, I think that Southampton have the ability to win by a couple of goals if they play to their best. That's a big if, but the tie is far from over.

Does anybody know if you can win on away goals in the playoffs?

Away goals dont count, and to be fair derby have been great this season, and do deserve to go up, it just hurt yesterday

So Freddy Shepard goes for Big Sam, despite over half of the Geordie Nation saying no, despite Gerard Houillier saying he wouldn't mind the Newcastle job, despite the fact the FA are still investigating Big Sam in the 'Illegal Bung' ordeal. On top of that Michael Owen will almost definatly be gone before next season due to one of his agents 'letting slip' he can go for £9million since Newcastle didn't qualify for Europe.

When will Newcastle ever have a nice easy drama free season...

I think we are going to buy Owen.

Allardyce is a good manager. He knows how to make the right buys. He can definitely fix things up at the back for Newcastle, as evidenced by all of his Bolton teams kicking the shit out of their opposition. I mean that literally, all of his Bolton teams were dirty kickers.

Who's 'we', I haven't got a clue who you support, mind my ignorance.

Yeah, Allardyce, might do wonders at Newcastle, but he might not. I'm not convinced to be honest, he has his good points, but this whole illegal bung thing is still in the air - it would just be typical Newcastle to appoint him, and then he's found guilty.

Liverpool.

That's why I would like to have Owen back, even if it is only to keep him from going to United or Chelski.

Owen to Liverpool would make the most sense.

However £9m is a lot of money for a player that injury prone, even one as good as Owen.

I stopped posting on this thread for a few months because I was convinced it was bad luck...but on Saturday we got promoted!! Best day evar, but really badly drunk afterwards.

Its amazing how transparant football clubs are being at the minute, Man City have sacked pearce and I would bet a million pounds Paul Jewell is in charge there next season, oh and Charlton have released Hasslebaink if anyone cares.