TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

X-Men: Evolution

Anything good I say about the show will only further my status as an x-freak, so I'll just skip that.

What is everyone's opinion on this cartoon series? On average, would most here think it's a good show, or a bad one?

Guest Flyboy

It sucks ass. Download some episodes of the Fox episodes if you must. And go buy some X-Men comics as well.

It sucks ass. Download some episodes of the Fox episodes if you must. And go buy some X-Men comics as well.

Why do you think it sucks? Also, any money I get is being saved for X2.

Guest Flyboy

It comes off as being too teeny. I want X-Men, not X-Men: Saved By The Bell. The character model/drawing are horrible and characters themselves are not interesting.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I agree pretty much. Aside from the name of the show and one or two small things, you wouldn't even know it had anything to do with X-Men. I've watched it a couple of times and it just seemed like it was a cartoon featuring teens, not even ones with "powers," just ones that got into trouble a lot.

Guest Goodear

I never got how people bash Evolution as not being just like the comic. It's a different medium first of all and secondly, the comic becomes a big sweaty continuity glitch as soon as you get to the Phoenix saga anyway. I liked the idea of taking the X-Men and regressing their ages down to a point where they aren't already experts in the use of their powers. Cyclops became much more relatable than normal as did a number of the Brotherhood.

Guest Flyboy
I liked the idea of taking the X-Men and regressing their ages down to a point where they aren't already experts in the use of their powers.

Yes. Repress their powers to an extent that they are hardly used throughout the show. And, when their powers ARE used it normally something for fun or something. Sorry, I'll pass.

Guest NoCalMike

I have only seen it once. I didn't like it nearly as much as the old x-men cartoon. I just liked the themes surrounding the old series better.

Guest Goodear

Shit, if you could teleport or walk through walls wouldn't you be doing it for fun all the damn time?

Guest Flyboy
Shit, if you could teleport or walk through walls wouldn't you be doing it for fun all the damn time?

No. I would rob banks.

I liked the idea of taking the X-Men and regressing their ages down to a point where they aren't already experts in the use of their powers.

Yes. Repress their powers to an extent that they are hardly used throughout the show. And, when their powers ARE used it normally something for fun or something. Sorry, I'll pass.

It's only a twenty-five minute cartoon [plus commercials] so you can't have a whole episode of just powers. There'd be no character development that way.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

I like the show and wholeheartedly agree with Goodear's assessment of it. I like the fact that they went out of continuity of the comic and just decided to make a separate universe rather than follow in the FOX show's footsteps. Plus, the fact that a lot of the focus isn't on a certain someone who will remain nameless doesn't hurt, either.

Guest Flyboy

It's only a twenty-five minute cartoon [plus commercials] so you can't have a whole episode of just powers. There'd be no character development that way.

Yes, I know that. I don't expect a show to, but Fox did a WAYYY better way of developing their characters AND fitting action into the show.

Plus, the fact that a lot of the focus isn't on a certain someone who will remain nameless doesn't hurt, either.

Don't hate, bitch.

Guest Goodear

I always found the FOX series to be somewhat shallow character-wise, like the whole personality of the people was based more on their accents than anything they actually did.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Plus, the fact that a lot of the focus isn't on a certain someone who will remain nameless doesn't hurt, either.

Don't hate, bitch.

Bah, he's one of the most overexposed guys Marvel has right now.

Guest Flyboy

Don't hate, bitch.

Bah, he's one of the most overexposed guys Marvel has right now.

Why?

"Here comes the money...."

Why do you think X3 will revolve around him? People love him. Hater.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

From what I've read, X3 won't revolve around him and really why should it when there's nothing left to do with him?

Guest Flyboy
From what I've read, X3 won't revolve around him and really why should it when there's nothing left to do with him?

Hater.

Take it as a grain of salt, but whatever.

Guest El Satanico

When I first saw it I didn't care for it and stopped watching.

A few weeks ago I caught another episode and it was alot better than the first episode I saw.

There seems to be a difference in approach between the episodes I liked and the episode I didn't. Did the show go through some sort of metamorphous from "teenaged mutants doing teen aged things" into "teenaged mutants doing x-men things"?

Guest Polish_Rifle

It's funny because I was watching it last night for about 15 minutes and I hate it! After growing up watching the Fox cartoons, this one just does not measure up.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

It's OK, though I don't like how Jubilee lost all the character she had in the first X-men TV series. What I don't understand is why Cartoon Network won't show all of season three.

Guest Karnage

The original X-Men cartoon from the mid 90s owned. Evolution is crap with annoying characters and makes you feel dumber for watching it.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Prior to the Captain America episode, the series is very hit or miss. Once you hit that point every show is fantastic (with the exception of Cruise Control, which I don't believe has aired in the states yet anyways) and puts the original Fox series to shame.

Did the show go through some sort of metamorphous from "teenaged mutants doing teen aged things" into "teenaged mutants doing x-men things"?

At some point in the series they're found out about being mutants. I don't exactly when that took place, but one episode I watched in the third season had Jean Grey giving a speech about acceptance, but at the same time, we saw the Brotherhood [Avalanche, Toad, Blob, Quicksilver] beating the holy hell out of Scott, Kitty, Rogue, and Spyke in the parking lot. None of the x-kids were using their powers, because they didn't want to prove Principal Kelly right in any way. The reason she was giving the speech is because it was being debated on whether mutants would be allowed in school.

Prior to the Captain America episode, the series is very hit or miss. Once you hit that point every show is fantastic (with the exception of Cruise Control, which I don't believe has aired in the states yet anyways) and puts the original Fox series to shame.

I don't think it has yet. The last ep. of the third season to air here was 'Under Lock & Key' and they were talking about Apocalypse. I haven't seen much of the Fox series, but I did catch a good episode on a Friday a few weeks ago. It was where Nightcrawler [rawr!] found out Mystique was his mother. I thought it was very good, although the animation and voice acting could use some work.

So for those that have seen any episodes, whose your faveorite/least faveorite character in the series?

To answer my own question, I'd have to say my fave chara is Rogue, with Nightcrawler a very close second. I just like Rogue's whole bitch attitude, and her power is really cool. My least faveorite would have to be Jean Grey. She's just too...goody-goody and too perfect for my liking.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

My fav has to be Scarlet Witch. She's just an uber-bitch in this series, and they really jacked up her powers. She can beat the X-Men single-handedly now.

Least favourite is Spyke. Thank god they ditched him halfway through Season 3.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I can't get into this show, none of the long-term storylines are very interesting, and the whole "high school" thing makes me hate it that much more. It's an X-Men show that lacks the balls to do real X-Men storylines.

Guest wildpegasus

I like X-Men evolution. It seems to be hit and miss at the beginning however. Once they got out of the beginning stages of the show it seemed to pick up and be more consistently good. I thought some of the episodes were really great. Thumbs up overall. I'll be watching to its conclusion.

However, the show doesn't even compare to the previous X-Men show. First off, the voice acting is at least 200 times better in the first series which is more of a compliment to the first series than a diss to the second. Secondly, I hate how the charactors look in comparison to the first series. I don't know how to describe the animation as I'm no TV expert but it seemed to be more in your face than the 2nd series. It had the 90's Spiderman animation feel to it which I love. Also, the series seemed to keep silliness to a minium and took itself serious which was nice as compared to at least some of the stuff in the 2nd series which was sometimes silly.

When I first saw Evolution, I couldn't care less. Then I caught a couple more recent episodes and I was hooked on it. The show starts poorly and then slowly but surely gets better.

Oh, and Quickwart rules.

Guest JMA

The original X-Men WERE teenagers. So no one should complain about them being teens on Evolution. It's just a return to their roots. It's also not fair to compare the 90's series to Evolution. They're totally different animals. Also, nostalgia makes things seem better. I really like Evolution.