TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Liberal Republicans

Guest JMA

We've all heard of liberal, conservative, and moderate Democrats. We've heard of conservative and moderate Republicans. But what about liberal Republicans? Theoretically, both parties have liberal, conservative, and moderate members. You don't ever hear of left-leaning Republicans on the news very much. You usually just see liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans. So, my question is this: are there any well-known liberal Republicans?

I have a feeling guys like Hannity that are touting him everynight aren't gonna like Arnold so much once he actually starts expressing his views, unless all Hannity cares about is the little ® associated with his name.

Guest JMA
I have a feeling guys like Hannity that are touting him everynight aren't gonna like Arnold so much once he actually starts expressing his views, unless all Hannity cares about is the little ® associated with his name.

Ugh, I really despise Hannity. What a whore.

Ugh, I really despise Hannity. What a whore.

So is Janeane Garofolo . Did anyone else see how HORRID she looked with blonde hair on Real Time last night? Ugh.

Guest JMA
Look at his voting record. He votes with the Democrats 85% of the time. More than John Kerry.

Just because he supports the Democrats doesn't make him a liberal. Anyway, there used to be a lot of conservative Democrats in the seventies. The Republican party itself was pretty liberal when it was first formed.

Look at his voting record. He votes with the Democrats 85% of the time. More than John Kerry.

Just because he supports the Democrats doesn't make him a liberal. Anyway, there used to be a lot of conservative Democrats in the seventies. The Republican party itself was pretty liberal when it was first formed.

Did I say he was a liberal. He's just not a conservative.

Guest JMA
Abraham Lincoln.

That's true. He was very liberal for his time. Keep in mind that back then it was the Republicans who supported freeing the slaves, while most Democrats didn't.

Guest MikeSC
Abraham Lincoln.

That's true. He was very liberal for his time. Keep in mind that back then it was the Republicans who supported freeing the slaves, while most Democrats didn't.

Heck, that was the case as recently as the 1960's.

-=Mike --- and the GOP has never really changed that view

The parties have pretty much changed roles since the 60's; Mike is correct in saying that the Republican party was pretty much the pro-AA rights party until the likes of JFK and LBJ.

At that point, everything pretty much reversed itself. They just started calling themselves by different names, for some reason.

Guest MikeSC
The parties have pretty much changed roles since the 60's; Mike is correct in saying that the Republican party was pretty much the pro-AA rights party until the likes of JFK and LBJ.

At that point, everything pretty much reversed itself. They just started calling themselves by different names, for some reason.

Wouldn't say that.

GOP passed the Housing Rights and Civil Rights Acts of the '60's --- not the Dems.

-=Mike

Guest MD2020

Arlen Specter--liberal Republican.

And Sam Katz, but that name is only known to Philly-area posters.

Guest MikeSC
And so was Thurmond...

Thurmond, to his eternal credit, completely changed and hired blacks when the laws were passed. He didn't fight them and simply, quietly, abided by them.

And, again, he wasn't a Klansman ever --- unlike, say, Robert Byrd.

-=Mike

Ben Stein (former Nixon speechwriter and current cliche'd Boring Guy) is on Hardball right now talking about how Eisenhower was considered a liberal Republican in his time.

Stein is really on the show to bust on Ahnuld though. He's rather blowing his cover how he keeps bringing up right as some kind supreme directive of the GOP. He's actually saying Schwartzenegger (and yeah, I know I 99% likely spelled that wrong) shouldn't be registered Republican soley on his abortion stance. Just admit you're an activist on this issue already, Ben.

I'm really not sure why you think that "digs" at me, Mike.

I'm not sure either. I could buy what some of the conservatives say here when they say "But when Strom spoke out against blacks it wasn't that taboo to do so at the time!"

The problem is when the double-standard occurs. You see, when a Republican does something completely stupid in today's world (see also: Lott) they suddently say "BUT BYRD WAS IN THE KKK LIKE FIFTY YEARS AGO!"

Guest EsotericMaster

lott said nothing stupid. he said strom would have been better than truman.

And a lot of people took offense at that because of the platform Strom was running on at the time. It's not like he was talking about the recent "Hey, let's diversify in this cabinet!" Strom, but the most dispicable aspect of the old Strom.

The apologists (and I realize not all the rights here are included in that. Marney called him a waste of skin and a good excuse for term limits) went and told us that because it was different times, it was considered perfectly acceptable for Strom to run on a segregationist platform. This would be a fine enough statement that both sides could settle on, but the apologists fail to use their own logic when they attack Byrd for being a member of the Klan at about the same time.