TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Batman SE: DVD rumor, so take it as you may...

Here you go, from Batman-on-Film.com by the way...

Saturday, August 9, 2003: This is from "Mr. Creaker," a new source with some info regarding the upcoming SE BATMAN '89 DVD:

DISC ONE

Brand New Digitally Re-mastered THX Certified Anamorphic Wide-screen Transfer 1:85.1

1. Tim Burton, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson Commentary Track

2. Jon Peters and Peter Guber Commentary Track

3. Isolated Score with Optional Danny Elfman Commentary Track.

4. Bat trivia

DISC TWO

1.The Summer of Batman ( Feature Length All new Documentary )

2.Bat be Gone ( Deleted Scenes- filmed and Unfilmed hosted by Tim Burton )

3.MUSIC VIDEOS( Prince’s Bat-Dance and Party Man and Elfman’s Batman Theme )

4.Original 1989 ABC 20/20 Spot

5.Original 1989 HBO making of segment

6.Original Various 1989 Cast and crew Interviews

7.6 Tv spots, 1 Diet Coke Spot, Teaser Trailer, Full Trailer, Soundtrack Tv spot, Score Tv spot

8.Still Photos, Production Notes, Promotional Materials, Storyboards.

DVD ROM FEATURES on Disc 2

1.Script/ Storyboard to screen.

2.Web links.

PLUS

10 page booklet featuring newly found photos.

Plus mini versions of the Teaser, Advance and DVD posters.

I was also told that BATMAN RETURNS is getting a similar treatment. Both discs should be out around Christmas time, There is a possibility that BATMAN FOREVER will also be released with them, Not to sure about BATMAN AND ROBIN. From what I’m hearing Joel Schmacher already started a reworked cut of BATMAN FOREVER sometime after B&R. You may have even read that around 1998 it was planned for a fall release. This may possibly get released as a Special Edition this fall, But that is only if Schmacher and the WB work out some time for it to be properly done. Burton had some people working on these discs over the past year while he was filming big fish. As of now the commentary tracks have not been recorded but should be later next month after Burton is done with post production of Big Fish. All people and Features on this and Batman Returns have been yet to be finalized but everything seems to be rolling just fine. My source has been hooking me up, He let me scan this cover art and said he is going to be sending me some more good stuff as it comes in. So hopefully that Batman Returns Cover art won’t be too far off. He also told me to expect Alternate or New Covers for BATMAN ( as you can see ), BATMAN RETURNS and BATMAN FOREVER ( If it makes it ). This is being done so people do not confuse the new discs with the older ones.

...if that is true, oh my God.

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

That sounds awesome. I for one am listening to the isolated score constantly

I wish they'd release all of the Batman films like that. Even though I only really love the first two, I'd buy them all if they were all great sets.

I think there's a very good chance that news is true. Months ago some DVD web site (not sure which one) said WB was planning on releasing SE DVDs for Christmas.

Next year is also the 15 anniversary of Batman (1989).

I used to have the "Original 1989 ABC 20/20 Spot" on tape when I was little.

I'm hoping to God this is true, by the way. But I don't know about Jack Nicholson on a commentary...he just doesn't hit me as the type to do a commentary. Hopefully, he'll surprise me.

I'm hoping to God this is true, by the way. But I don't know about Jack Nicholson on a commentary...he just doesn't hit me as the type to do a commentary. Hopefully, he'll surprise me.

Jack enjoyed his role as the Joker and he's friendly with Burton and probably Keaton as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if Jack did a commentary track; and a good one at that. Although I wonder if it'd be a chopped up track with all 3 guys or if they'd be in the same room watching the movie together.

While I'm confident this is true (with the possible exception of a Guber/Peters track -- thought those two hate each other now; unless their commentary is edited together), the way WB acts sometime, they'll leave you on the edge of your seat.

Guest JMA

Eh, I'm not really a fan of the live-action bat-flicks. I used to be into them when I was a younger, less educated Batman fan, but not now. Methinks DC should start cranking out new movies instead of releasing special versions on DVD.

Guest SP-1

The first film has it's problems but it's the best of the live action attempts (tied with Batman Returns and at times being overtaken by it, depending on who you talk to), in my opinion.

Though I still maintain that MASK OF THE PHANTASM got closest to the comic character insofar as theatrical releases as a whole.

This looks like an awesome set. I might invest in it.

Guest TheMadmanGreg

Every film, live-action or what-not had its flaws. A purist Batman stick-up-the-ass fan should just admit that they'll never be satisfied by anything that gets made. I've come to the understanding with myself that my personal ideal Batman will probably never be seen on the big screne, or on television. So, I live with the flaws and enjoy the movies for what they are (except for Batman and Robin, which we all agree was total crap.) And, should this new DVD come out, I will own it.

Jack enjoyed his role as the Joker and he's friendly with Burton and probably Keaton as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if Jack did a commentary track; and a good one at that. Although I wonder if it'd be a chopped up track with all 3 guys or if they'd be in the same room watching the movie together.

Good point. I also wouldn't be shocked if this was one of those commentaries where they use old sound bites from interviews.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman and Batman Returns are still better then the crap Marvel's put out.

Oh and JMA: Anyone who likes Hush more than Bruce Wayne: Muderer, and thinks Chuck Dixon wasn't a good Bat-Writer is still a Bat-Mark. Don't act like you're Sass because you noticed Batman has a few problems.

Guest TheMadmanGreg

Marvel's movies haven't really been crap. I liked Daredevil, and I refuse to not like it just because it's "cool" to not like Ben Affleck right now.

Except Hulk. It's true, Hulk was really lame.

But Spider-man had room for improvement, but I enjoyed more than most movies that came out last year.

Guest Dmann2000
The first film has it's problems but it's the best of the live action attempts (tied with Batman Returns and at times being overtaken by it, depending on who you talk to), in my opinion.

Batman Returns is one of the most underrated films I've ever seen.

Seriously guys, if a SE DVD of it comes out, when I get it I'll write a full in depth critique and analysis on it.

Guest SP-1

Hey now.

Hulk's ending was lame. Everything up to

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

Bruce's dad chopming the electric cable and the final battle ensuing
kicked arse.

Hey now.

Hulk's ending was lame.  Everything up to

Bruce's dad chopming the electric cable and the final battle ensuing
kicked arse.

Yes, it should of ended after the

whole desert scene when he sees Betty and turns back to Bruce.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman Returns is one of the most underrated films I've ever seen.

Seriously guys, if a SE DVD of it comes out, when I get it I'll write a full in depth critique and analysis on it.

Agreed. The psychological symbolism involved with each villain was fascinating, and it was the only Batman film that focused on BATMAN. It's a shame that some people on this board saw it and "They... they messed with The Penguin! WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!111"

Guest Dmann2000

Plus Daniel Waters screenplay is so sharp and satirical, it's great just on the ammount of cool one-liners it has.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Plus Daniel Waters screenplay is so sharp and satirical, it's great just on the ammount of cool one-liners it has.

"You'll have influence with the creme de la creme of society, access to captains of industry...and... unlimited poontang."

Guest TheMadmanGreg

I don't mind them changing Penguin, but they gave him a constant spew of black bile from his mouth for no really good reason. That kinda bothered me.

And yes, the ending of Hulk was lame, but I didn't like the rest of the movie from a personal standpoint. There wasn't nearly enough "HULK SMASH!" for me.

Guest Dmann2000

"You'll have influence with the creme de la creme of society, access to captains of industry...and... unlimited poontang."

"You lousy minx..I outta have you spayed..you sent out all the signals..and I don't think I like you anymore"

I know i am in the minority on this, but I was incredibly disappointed by Batman Returns. For one thing, when I got to see a movie about Batman, I want it to be about Batman. While Catwoman is a good villain, I've never liked Penguin much, and this movie made him worse. I doubt if I would buy it on DVD. I'd probably skip the box set and just buy a good Batman and Batman Forever DVD.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I know i am in the minority on this, but I was incredibly disappointed by Batman Returns. For one thing, when I got to see a movie about Batman, I want it to be about Batman. While Catwoman is a good villain, I've never liked Penguin much, and this movie made him worse. I doubt if I would buy it on DVD. I'd probably skip the box set and just buy a good Batman and Batman Forever DVD.

Ah, but Batman returns IS about Batman. Namely, batman's struggle with himself. With his own inner demons. Each of the three main villains represents a segment of the shattered Bruce Wayne psyche:

The Penguin is the freakish nature of The Batman. We both pity and fear him, just like Batman. And just like Batman, he was created by a traumatizing event with his parents.

Max Schreck is what Bruce Wayne could have been if his parents had never died. A cutthroat who cares for no one but himself.

Catwoman represents the part of Bruce that is struggling with this duality. Not the foppish mask Bruce puts on at society gatherings, and not the dark avenger. Simply a lost soul, looking to be loved.

In this way, when Batman battles these villains, he's really fighting himself. So you see, batman Returns is the most psychologically involving and complex comic book film to date.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm not sure if that analysis would be enough to get me to like the movie, but it might be enough for me to not turn it off if I catch it on TV again. I'll give it a shot.

Zsasz...where did you come up with all of that? I'm not saying that it isn't true, but I've never quite heard that before and it's a very interesting twist.

Do you think the movie was intentionally written that way, because if so, they conveyed it poorly to the audience, in my opinion.

Dames

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Zsasz...where did you come up with all of that? I'm not saying that it isn't true, but I've never quite heard that before and it's a very interesting twist.

Do you think the movie was intentionally written that way, because if so, they conveyed it poorly to the audience, in my opinion.

Dames

Well it was something that I first heard from Moriarty on the AICN Chat Room. It was confirmed in a recent HC book about Batman released by DC Comics where Tim Burton says something to the same effect.

I think it was conveyed very well. It was SUBTEXT. They didn't beat people over the head with it. The problem was that no one was particularily looking for it. they expected a mindless action piece and didn't see the script had many layers. Something to the same effect happened with The Hulk, but teh difference of course was that Batman Returns made an assload of money.

Guest JMA
A purist Batman stick-up-the-ass fan should just admit that they'll never be satisfied by anything that gets made.

I don't see any of those fans around. I myself believe that there are certain things that can be changed, and certain things that shouldn't be changed. I've been happy with pretty much all the Marvel movies (despite some of the changes) and the original "Superman" movie and its sequel.

Edited by JMA

Guest JMA
Batman and Batman Returns are still better then the crap Marvel's put out.

Oh and JMA: Anyone who likes Hush more than Bruce Wayne: Muderer, and thinks Chuck Dixon wasn't a good Bat-Writer is still a Bat-Mark. Don't act like you're Sass because you noticed Batman has a few problems.

Sigh. I can dislike whatever I want, Zsasz. And I didn't like ANY of the live-action Batman films. That's just the way it is. And I don't really like any of Dixon's work, Batman or otherwise. Murder/Fugitive was nothing new. I just didn't like the storyline--and there is nothing wrong with that. And why exactly should I care if someone thinks I'm a "Bat-mark" (whatever that means...)? Really, why should it concern me?