TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Weekend boxoffice report Aug 8-10

1 S.W.A.T. $37,000,000/$37,000,000

2 Freaky Friday $22,300,000/$33,200,000

3 American Wedding $15,100,000/$64,900,000

4 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl $13,100,000/$232,800,000

5 Seabiscuit $11,900,000/$69,500,000

6 Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over $10,136,000/$87,442,328

7 Bad Boys II $6,000,000/$123,053,000

8 Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life $5,200,000/$53,699,000

9 Finding Nemo $2,500,000/$324,866,000

10 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines $1,620,000/$145,983,000

11 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen $1,520,000/$62,157,104

12 Johnny English $1,000,000/$26,000,000

---------------------------------------------------

ehh...no real suprises I guess.

FREDDY VS JASON NEXT WEEK, BABY!

It's a family movie, and those always do pretty well since they are few and far between nowadays. The critics liked it too, so that had to help.

How well do you expect Freddy Vs. Jason To do next week? I'm seeing it first showing, but do you think it will crack the top three?

Edited by frozenblockofpissreborn

I wouldn't be surprised if F Vs. J takes the number one spot next week, I hopes it does. And I'm very sure if it will have a better opening box office weekend than what Jason X had, but of course, I didn't expect it to get all that much anyway. By the way, I saw S.W.A.T., fuck that movie, it sucked.

Guest HBK16

American Wedding was a good movie. I only went thorugh half of the first and second one. I also saw Freaky Friday. Dont know if it was the alcohol or my senses in movies but I found it funny. This upcoming week will be good for me. Planning on seeing a few movies.

Guest Choken One

Nah...Freaky Friday got some great critic reviews...

I'm expecting good word of mouth for Friday which would allow the Media to have that cute

Friday Vs Freddy Vs Jason tag line

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Freddy Vs Jason will explode out of the blocks then just as quickly implode back down the list. It'll make most of its money back as far as rentals and DVD buys I'd say.

I am all for movies featuring Samuel L. Jackson doing big business. He should be in every movie ever and he should say "Motha fucka" at least 3 times in each of them.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Fuck it...

Next Week:

1 - Freddy Vs Jason

2 - S.W.A.T. (Which I thought was excellent, didn't expect it to be anymore than what it was)

3 - Freaky Friday / Uptown Girls

4 - Uptown Girls / Freaky Friday

5 - American Wedding

8 or 9 - Open Range

11 or lower - Grind

Theres no way F vs J opens #1.

The absolute best it will do is #3 (behind SWAT and Freaky Friday)

I think you're dead wrong. This is a horror movie fan's dream and even if the last few movies haven't done well, the concept of the film alone is enough to drive the audiences back into the theaters.

Dames

Yeah, but how large of audience is that really? Freddy and Jason could take number one due to them being the only big new release coming out. I haven't heard a word on Uptown Girls until this week. It will split the family audience with Freaky Friday, and those who saw FF last week might not go to the theaters two weeks in a row.

You know, Open Range is coming out this weekend too. Wouldn't that just shock the shit out of people if it was number one, but think about it. Just like there are few family films anymore, there are few films that appeal to an older audience.

If you take a look at the box office figures for the 17 Freddy and Jason films, they've averaged a good amount of money back then when the audiences were in their prime. Add in inflation, new interest in the product due to the crossover and the fact that its the only hyped new release out and I'm confident that it'll be number 1.

Dames

I think Freddy vs Jason could go #1. There's no other major horror out right now. Plus when I was a kid this was our big debate, and it's still going on.

Freddy fans will see it. Jason fans will see it. Horror fans will see it. I will see it.

Well..let history be our guide..

Last year opening weekends..

April 28th, 2002 - Jason X - #4 @$6.5 mil (Behind Scorpion King, Changing Lanes and Life or Something Like it)

Lasted only 6 weeks in theatres btw..

July 14th, 2002 - Halloween Resurection - #[email protected] mil (behind MIB2, Road to Perdition and Reign of Fire)

March 17th, 2002 - Resident Evil - #2@$17.7 mil (Behind Ice Age's opening $47 mil)

I added RE just because it fits the genre but it had way more main stream appeal than the other two so $17 mil is kinda high.

I'd be willing the bet no more than $10 mil opening weekend, which would almost be as much as Jason X got in its entire 6 weeks ($12.6 mil).

I also think this coming week will be a low one. The top film probably won't gross over 15 mil. It's the middle of August, always a down time, and the films opening this weekend are all niche market stuff.

Well..let history be our guide..

Last year opening weekends..

April 28th, 2002 - Jason X - #4 @$6.5 mil (Behind Scorpion King, Changing Lanes and Life or Something Like it)

Lasted only 6 weeks in theatres btw..

July 14th, 2002 - Halloween Resurection - #[email protected] mil (behind MIB2, Road to Perdition and Reign of Fire)

March 17th, 2002 - Resident Evil - #2@$17.7 mil (Behind Ice Age's opening $47 mil)

I added RE just because it fits the genre but it had way more main stream appeal than the other two so $17 mil is kinda high.

I'd be willing the bet no more than $10 mil opening weekend, which would almost be as much as Jason X got in its entire 6 weeks ($12.6 mil).

Jason X is an example of the franchise being on its last legs and is NOW being resurrected with this crossover. The same with the Halloween series. No one really wanted these sequels because they were seen as unnecessary retreads. As far as I know, everyone who's ever been a Freddy or Jason fan wants to see this movie.

Also, Resident Evil isn't a good indicator of a mainstream horror movie success story. Enough people heard and or realized that it had very little if anything at all to do with the video game franchise it was based on, so it got poor word of mouth.

Dames

Gigli was also topped by all but 3 of the top 122 films in per screen take. And 2 of those three were no. 121 and 122/

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart...&wknd=32&p=.htm

And I think F vs. J is going to make 30 mil next weekend. Freddy fans, Jason fans, horror fans, new generation of fans, and the fact that this movie puts the ad campaigns for any horror movie I have seen to shame.

Edited by the pinjockey

Guest El Satanico

If it was PG-13, it would've been number one easily.

I still think it will hit #1, because Freddy and Jason aren't cult characters. Alot of people, even those not majorly into horror knows of them.

I think Open Range will be lucky to crack the top 5.

Kevin Costner + Western is not really the best way to get people in the theater. It may be a perfectly good movie, but with his recent track record I can't see people jumping at this movie.

The LAst Jason movie only made 12 something million and the last Freddy movie (which was years ago) only made like 14 something...and I that's TOTAL I think.

There really isn't that huge an audience to draw from.

It'll open at 10 million. What that beats, I don't know.

Guest El Satanico
I think Open Range will be lucky to crack the top 5.

Kevin Costner + Western is not really the best way to get people in the theater. It may be a perfectly good movie, but with his recent track record I can't see people jumping at this movie.

Dances With Wolves which is considered Costner's last good movie was a western.

I think that was a.) before he became a running joke and b.) when westerns were the in thing (Maverick, Quick and the Dead, Wyatt Earp, Tombstone).

Like I said, it may be a good movie (I think reviews have been good), but I don't think a Kevin Costner western could draw right now.