TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cherry Blossom Viscount

My Computer is on Life Support

Long story short, since there's no telling when my browser may crash, I DL'ed a new Norton Antivirus program to upgrade from my outdated 2000 software and everything was fine and dandy. It found a virus, W32.Pinfi and deleted it. Well, I thought everything was going to be okay, but instead I can't access hardly any of my programs due to the fact that they are "restricted." The W32.Pinfi virus attacks .EXE programs and Norton quarantined and "fixed" a number of .exe programs. However, now that they are "repaired" I can't access any of them due to restriction that are in effect on my computer. That includes IE, but I was able to get around that thanks to an old link. I deleted Norton, which I doubt was smart and now I don't have an anti virus program and I'm at a loss on how to remedy the situation. Please, help. This is very serious.

Well, I managed to get ahold of a Win 98 disk, so I can reinstall Windows. Too bad I can't reformat my frickin' hard drive. I called Gateway Tech Support and the guy sent the file I needed to my e-mail address. But I can't get into my e-mail without the browser thwn the system crashing. So here I am again on the phone with tech suport.

A Win98 CD should be bootable, and should allow you to format. If not, you should be able to make a boot disk from within Windows, unless that functionality is gone to you now.

go to symantec.com and look up the virus in their "virus encyclopedia". That will tell you what files would be changed and how to change them back.