TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Jericho Gaining Power Backstage?

Jericho Gaining Power Backstage?

Is it just me or does it seem like Jericho is being treated alot better this year and especially the last few months? Maybe he is finally playing "politics" in his favor or maybe he has become "friends" with Triple H and other kliq members. Well, being friends with the kliq is the same as politics if you think about it.

It could be because of the Goldberg incident, but I think it goes back farther then that. People complained Shawn Michaels didn't put Chris Jericho over at 'Mania, but they still had a great match. And even before that at the Royal Rumble. Jericho eliminated Shawn and destroyed him.

Since all of that. Jericho has be given his own spot on Raw with the High Lite Reel. He has since been put over HBK and Nash. He's been hanging around with Evolution without being buried in the process and now he's back in the main event at Summerslam.

Now, I don't think he's going to be winning the title anytime soon. But, he seems to be doing something right and knowing how the WWE works I have a hard time believing it's because "all the hard work is finally paying off."

Bashing the Internet, bashing Goldberg's ego, sucking up to management, being friends with the kliq or just some good old fashion hard work. Why is Chris Jericho being treated right and given some respect finally?

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

I'd like to think that he has been given the push because the WWE FINALLY has figured out that Jericho is a fantastic main-event talent. He is the #1 heel on Raw (with the exception of the pop he got last night after winning the hair vs. hair match), and his style in the ring, although not perfect, is much more exciting to watch then say, the man holding the Big Gold Belt right now.

But hey, if he has gone Clique, more power to him. At least he now has a position to get back to the full-time main event.

He certainly hasn't gone Kliq. They team him and HHH on TV sometimes because they're both over heels, but there's still a lot of bad blood between them. I think it's just that he's done such a good job in the ring and on the mic that they have to push him to some degree. At the end of the day, Vince wants to put on entertaining segments that draw ratings.

If Jericho had become buddy-buddy with HHH, he'd probably have looked like an equal to him as far as being a heel is concerned, but he isn't because JR still does his verbal blowjobs to HHH every now and then, while treating Jericho just like any other heel.

JR on HHH:"That's whah he's The Game! The World Heavyweight Champion! He came back from a near career-ending injury, bah Gawd!"

JR on Jericho:"That no-good arrogant son of a bitch just cheap-shotted (insert face here) with brass knucks! He's damn lucky!"

Well you can see the obvious difference. JR puts over HHH constantly even though he is supposed to be a heel. He even throws in comments out of nowhere like this past monday they were having talking about the elimination chamber and JR throws in, "you aren't going to be 100% are you?" which is obviously an attempt to "pad the loss"

Also, now Jericho has to give felatio to Evolution, he is almost starting to look like a lackey to them, IMO. Kind of like how in the beginning the New Age Outlaws were "partners in crime" with DX, but still weren't worthy to be IN DX.

Guest Adrian 3:16
If Jericho had become buddy-buddy with HHH, he'd probably have looked like an equal to him as far as being a heel is concerned, but he isn't because JR still does his verbal blowjobs to HHH every now and then, while treating Jericho just like any other heel.

JR on HHH:"That's whah he's The Game! The World Heavyweight Champion! He came back from a near career-ending injury, bah Gawd!"

JR on Jericho:"That no-good arrogant son of a bitch just cheap-shotted (insert face here) with brass knucks! He's damn lucky!"

Agreed. I think its sad and telling that I can't even play Shut Your Mouth on PS2 without JR going on how Jericho is "an arrogant young man about to have the hell beat out of him!" while HHH (and Undertaker, for that matter) get "like him or not folks, this man deserves our respect!"

:throwup:

I've heard of Jericho traveling with Nash. Seriously.

That could be true.

Because I cant see other reason for Nash, even when he got that movie part, to choose Jericho over HHH, HBK or Orton.

he could choose not to run.. I mean not to job and just fake an injury and dissappear, cut his hair and thats it, no job.

I've heard of Jericho traveling with Nash. Seriously.

When Jericho arrived at the building in his car and obviously blew us all off by driving straight down the back arena ramp, we all noticed in the passenger's seat was...

...Shane Helms. O_O

Guest Korgath

The fact remains that Jericho has improved. He's more willing to work now than ever before, and his Hi-Lite Reel has become a staple of RAW that fans actually look forward to (unlike the other staple that is HHH retaining).

I suppose it's just a simple case of "taking the ball and running with it".

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

JR on HHH:"That's whah he's The Game!  The World Heavyweight Champion!  He came back from a near career-ending injury, bah Gawd!"

JR on Jericho:"That no-good arrogant son of a bitch just cheap-shotted (insert face here) with brass knucks!  He's damn lucky!"

Agreed. I think its sad and telling that I can't even play Shut Your Mouth on PS2 without JR going on how Jericho is "an arrogant young man about to have the hell beat out of him!" while HHH (and Undertaker, for that matter) get "like him or not folks, this man deserves our respect!"

:throwup:

But HHH is still a face in SYM.

Shouldn't JR like him by default?

Eh... Not necessarily. The game actually covers up to the heel turn and matches up HHH and HBK at Summerslam in season mode. Plus Lawler references HHH breaking JR's arm.

It doesn't make much sense, but you can't hold it against the game itself. In that respect, it mirrors the actual show quite well.

More unintentional SYM comedy: note that midcarders like Raven or Tajiri get very little if any commentary recorded other than their names announced, but you still have to hear JR drone on about how pet project Albert "is 6'8", 300 lbs, and INCREDIBLY strong." Amazing what you can gather about the backstage if you read between the lines in a video game...

Guest Razor Roman

JR on HHH:"That's whah he's The Game!  The World Heavyweight Champion!  He came back from a near career-ending injury, bah Gawd!"

JR on Jericho:"That no-good arrogant son of a bitch just cheap-shotted (insert face here) with brass knucks!  He's damn lucky!"

I'm usually a HHHater, but couldn't SOME of that be attributed to JR just selling the value of the World Title... I mean, it's obvious he's not a fluke champ waiting for the good guy to finally get over him like Sgt. Slaughter was, he's the champ. You have to put over your champ to some extent just to help put the belt over.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Eh... Not necessarily. The game actually covers up to the heel turn and matches up HHH and HBK at Summerslam in season mode. Plus Lawler references HHH breaking JR's arm.

It doesn't make much sense, but you can't hold it against the game itself. In that respect, it mirrors the actual show quite well.

More unintentional SYM comedy: note that midcarders like Raven or Tajiri get very little if any commentary recorded other than their names announced, but you still have to hear JR drone on about how pet project Albert "is 6'8", 300 lbs, and INCREDIBLY strong." Amazing what you can gather about the backstage if you read between the lines in a video game...

No, the commentary is current up till Vengeance, while the game makers knew the SS match was going to happen and added it as an Easter Egg. That is JR responding to FACE HHH in SYM.

Okay, let's say you're right... how do you explain heel Undertaker?

For that matter, why would the same commentary apply to "good" HHH and "evil" Taker at the same time? Isn't that supposed to represent some monumental character difference? Their status is reversed today, but I guarantee you in HCTP we'll still be told to respect both, "like them or not". All it implies to me is that both guys are near invincible and can do no wrong no matter what their alignment, while Jericho is lucky to scrape out a win.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into a video game, but the game is just a symptom, not the actual problem. Its what goes down on TV that's the issue, this game just happens to reflect that.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Okay, let's say you're right... how do you explain heel Undertaker?

For that matter, why would the same commentary apply to "good" HHH and "evil" Taker at the same time? Isn't that supposed to represent some monumental character difference? Their status is reversed today, but I guarantee you in HCTP we'll still be told to respect both, "like them or not". All it implies to me is that both guys are near invincible and can do no wrong no matter what their alignment, while Jericho is lucky to scrape out a win.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into a video game, but the game is just a symptom, not the actual problem. Its what goes down on TV that's the issue, this game just happens to reflect that.

Undertaker's ENTIRE CHARACTER was about respect. That'd be no different if JR said "It's all about the Game" in reference to HHH. Christ, were you even watching during UT's heel run?

Actually, no. I stopped watching altogether around that point as the newly renamed WWE was becoming just too awful to stomach, and didn't start up again until earlier this year when Austin and heel Rock came back. So yeah, I basically missed all the fun with heel Undertaker and his run with the title.

My point is this: Taker and HHH, no matter what they do, are always placed on a pedastal above everyone else, and for that matter are both basically the same whether face or heel. Everyone else has at least a subtle character change, but not these two:

face HHH: deserves our respect, but still gets to beat the shit out of everyone

heel HHH: beats the shit out of everyone, but still for some reason deserves our respect

face Undertaker: deserves our respect, but still gets to beat the shit out of everyone

heel Undertaker: beats the shit out of everyone, but still for some reason deserves our respect

Either way, these two get the best of both worlds. There's absolutely no difference in their personality or behavior either way.

HHH struts more as a heel...and that's about the only difference I can come up with.

As for UT...he does his "crazy old bewildred man" sell when he's a heel...and that's about the only difference.