Guest EQ

Soul Calibur II

Which console version?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which console version?

• Gamecube (Link)
    • Playstation 2 (Heihachi)
    • XBOX (Spawn)

Nintendo doesn't seem to know what "only for" means. DOOM II is only for GBA? uh..ok.

But if you listen to this commercial, they use it correctly.

They say SoulCaliber II, featuring link...only on Gamecube.

They are right...but thats still pretty shady.

ANd yes, LaParka, the controller works just fine with fighting games. I love it personally.

Guest Sakura

GC controller is terrible. The button layout is messed up, the Dpad is too small and the analog stick is too loose and sloppy. It just sucks. Even a fighting game as shallow as MKDA is unplayable. I would hate to play SC II extensively.

GC controller is terrible. The button layout is messed up, the Dpad is too small and the analog stick is too loose and sloppy. It just sucks. Even a fighting game as shallow as MKDA is unplayable. I would hate to play SC II extensively.

eh...the button layout is basically the same as the PS2 with one button bigger and moved up a little, I never use the d pad anyway, I love the tension of the analog(its not N64 loose)...its all good to me. Takes all kinds I guess.

Guest Sakura

Why is the A button so big and why is the B button so small? Like is there any real reason for this other than to look "innovative"? Because it totally sucks and feels messed up. The B button feels so cheap and flimsy on every controller I own after just a little use. I find myself slipping and being unable to just like mentally know what the button lay out is. Like I dont know how to explain it, but playing MKDA on PS2 or even Xbox I KNOW where the buttons are. I don't have to think about it, I can just feel it. On MKDA on GC I always find myself fumbling with the buttons trying to hit the right one because the layout is so weird.

Why is the A button so big and why is the B button so small? Like is there any real reason for this other than to look "innovative"? Because it totally sucks and feels messed up. The B button feels so cheap and flimsy on every controller I own after just a little use. I find myself slipping and being unable to just like mentally know what the button lay out is. Like I dont know how to explain it, but playing MKDA on PS2 or even Xbox I KNOW where the buttons are. I don't have to think about it, I can just feel it. On MKDA on GC I always find myself fumbling with the buttons trying to hit the right one because the layout is so weird.

See, I'm the exact opposite. On the GC controller, I have never had to give second thought to where things were, while on the PS2(a controller admittedly I NEVER liked) and on the X-Box, I have to think about it it.

I love the way I can stay centered in on the GC controller as the BIGASS A button is usually the most used in the game. The B button is just perfect for me.

The PS2 controller, from the first time I touched it, it felt...just wrong. It feels wrong in my hands. Long bouts of playing the PS2 would leave my hands aching. The GC controller was such a relief when I finally played one, although when I played the demos in the store I thought that it felt dumb. I finally bought one eairlier this year and I find it to have the best controller EVER in my opinion.

Its weird how the same thing that some people swear by is what others swear at.

Guest Sakura

I think this whole issue(which version is better) is really over hyped though. I've played PS2 and GC and the graphics and load time differences are VASTLY overexagerated. It is NOT an issue. Some people act like the PS2 port is just fugly and has hour long load times. Like it's this game breakingly big deal. SC II is SC II. All the ports are fine. It's not like say, MK II for Genesis compared to SNES, where there is really a difference.

I don't see the big problem with the GC controller either. I mean I can see where there will be a problem but I had no trouble playing MKDA with it. Maybe you just suck Sakura.

Anyways like I said I can see where there would be a problem but overall it's not that bad. Nothing to go on and on about "OH MY GOD! THAT CONTROLLER SUCKS! WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU!? A REAL GAMER WOULD NEVER USE THAT! LOSER! HAHA!"

You're kidding about the Analog stick right? Maybe you got a bad controller because it's the ONLY Analog Stick I've ever felt I had good control over. Even the N64 one wasn't as smooth.

Anyone who prefers the GCN controller to anything else (original Xbox controller possibly excluded) is a fanboy in my book.

And I don't respect their controller opinions.

There is something to be said for symmetry and ergonomics in controllers. I would LOVE to be able to hit the B and Y(?) buttons at the same time, but the A is so huge, it's just stupid.

I'll be getting it for PS2 OF COURSE. I don't own anything else. I'd possibly get it for box if I had one, the S controller is fine and if it looks better?

Nah I just prefer the PSX controller. It can't be beat, and hasn't been beaten CERTAINLY.

Anyone who thinks that the GCN controller is AS GOOD as the PS2 controller is on crack. Anyone who thinks that that fact is irrelevant is wrong. Case CLOSED.

I have no problem with the Playstation controller. I just never use the analog sticks on it because the few times I used them they were not my style of game play. I've never been a big fan of analog sticks until I used the Gamecube controller because it seemed a little more controlled and smooth. I played Capcom vs. SNK on Gamecube using the controller and was amazed at how smoothly I could pull off the moves using the analog stick because usually if I try to use an analog stick on a game like that I end up doing nothing but jumping. The buttons didn't bother me on that game either.

I can like whatever controller I want. I'm not here to please you. And not respecting someone's opinion because it's different from yours is just dumb.

Edited by LaParkaYourCar

Guest Sakura

The stick is fine for non-fighting games. It's too loose and sloppy for a fighting game though. Not just GC's, but all of them. I weep at the thought of doing a EWGF on a GC pad.

Anyone who prefers the GCN controller to anything else (original Xbox controller possibly excluded) is a fanboy in my book.

And I don't respect their controller opinions.

There is something to be said for symmetry and ergonomics in controllers. I would LOVE to be able to hit the B and Y(?) buttons at the same time, but the A is so huge, it's just stupid.

I'll be getting it for PS2 OF COURSE. I don't own anything else. I'd possibly get it for box if I had one, the S controller is fine and if it looks better?

Nah I just prefer the PSX controller. It can't be beat, and hasn't been beaten CERTAINLY.

Anyone who thinks that the GCN controller is AS GOOD as the PS2 controller is on crack. Anyone who thinks that that fact is irrelevant is wrong. Case CLOSED.

My response to your post can be summed up simply.....you're an asshole.

No, he's right.

Want to hit B and X? Bring up your index finger to try and hold it down. WTF? That's hardly ergonomic. Back with SNES I could at least plant my thumb in the middle of the thing and apply pressure at the sides.

Cube controller is the second worst I've ever used, only beaten by almost the Sega 6-button, and just barely beating out all the other Sega controllers.

(I'll disagree from EricMM though and say that I think the Xbox Type-S is the best. More games are going analog stick and having a stick in the primary position is better than the secondary positions like the Dual Shock)

I can like whatever controller I want. I'm not here to please you. And not respecting someone's opinion because it's different from yours is just dumb.

I don't have to respect someone when they're trying to tell me that up is down. You are wrong. It's not "opinion" that the Game Cube controller is only good for one thing, it's basically provable.

The GCN's button layout is designed for games that use, at most, two major buttons. That would be A and B. X and Y are extremely secondary. For ANY other game, be it a sports title, fighting game, or complex action game, you're going to be scrambling like mad to press many buttons at once. This is twice as true with fighting games which rely on pressing two or even three independant buttons at the same time. Guess what. The PS2's controller works for simple and complex control schemes. The GCN's pad, simple ones ONLY.

you're an asshole.

and my response to this? You're a fanboy. Sure, I don't know you, but you don't know me. I, on the other hand, don't try and call a lopsided button scheme usable. You take my accurace comments, get upset by them, and start calling me names. One of us argues based on actual reality, the other on a reality he wishes existed.

Just open your eyes! Try and press all three buttons (B, X, Y) at once! Without pressing A. Quickly! With your thumb! It's NOT POSSIBLE.

I really can't argue the Xbox's S controller because I have almost no experiance with it. I was forced to use the old one, but I haven't had the chance to use the new one.

When would I even need to press all those at once? If you're using it for a fighting game then switch your buttons around in the button config. It worked for me.

I really don't care if you respect my opinion or not. But it's still an opinion because we're still talking about a matter of taste.

Good lord.

Ok, we're talking soul calibur here.

If I assume correctly, the guard button will be A, the horizontal slash B, the vertical slash X, and kick will be Y.

A HAS to be guard because you have to be able to guard fast.

Considering that there are moves in soul calibur that require simultaneous presses of all two button combinations, as well as quick motions from one button to another (like A~B, or K~B, or A~K.) I challange you to "switch your buttons around" so that this will be possible.

Call it opinion all you want, but I am 99% sure that if you take two people of equal skill, give on of them a dual shock 2 and one of them a GCN pad, the person with a PS2 controller wins. They're playing with their controller, not fighting against it.

I just don't see how switching which button does which will allow you to bypass the large gaps between the B button and the other X and Y buttons.

I was just talking other fighting games because we were having a general discussion about the controller.

I played a demo of Soul Calibur II for Gamecube and didn't find any problem using the controller, but with my horrible memory don't ask me to remember what button was what.

Maybe people would take your opinions more seriously Eric if you didn't present them in such a "My opinion is godly" manner. What you are saying is an OPINION. No matter how much you whine and cry that we're wrong you are still presenting an opinion. Get over it.

Oh yes I'm such a fanboy. Seems how I'm getting the X-Box version and out of all 3 of my systems my GCN gets the least play.

Yep such a fanboy...haha.... :rolleyes:

Guest Sakura

You're not the only one. I don't really like the fat controller either, but I hate the Dpad on the S even more and I especially hate the black and white buttons.

I really don't care if you respect my opinion or not.  But it's still an opinion because we're still talking about a matter of taste.

No, it's still proven fact.

Now all we know is that you have bad taste, too.

I think both Xbox controllers are pretty weaksauce. The action buttons on the S should be 3x3 across, not down. Dumb design.

Black and white really aren't meant to be primary buttons, that's why they're different shape/size. Because the Xbox uses analog triggers with spring instead of the PS2's buttons along the top, they can't have four buttons up there. So instead they have two triggers and two buttons on the controller face. The only time I've ever seen a game where white or black are critical to gameplay is Agent Under Fire. And thanks to that game's shitty-ass control scheme, playing it on the S controller doesn't work.

Good lord.

Ok, we're talking soul calibur here.

If I assume correctly, the guard button will be A, the horizontal slash B, the vertical slash X, and kick will be Y.

A HAS to be guard because you have to be able to guard fast.

Considering that there are moves in soul calibur that require simultaneous presses of all two button combinations, as well as quick motions from one button to another (like A~B, or K~B, or A~K.) I challange you to "switch your buttons around" so that this will be possible.

Call it opinion all you want, but I am 99% sure that if you take two people of equal skill, give on of them a dual shock 2 and one of them a GCN pad, the person with a PS2 controller wins.  They're playing with their controller, not fighting against it.

I just don't see how switching which button does which will allow you to bypass the large gaps between the B button and the other X and Y buttons.

Why not make block the Shoulder L and R buttons? They're right at your Index Fingertips for possibly the fastest reaction. That's one thing i love about the cube controller is that the shoulder buttons FINALLY feel comfortable (with the exception of the Z button, but it's usually the least used button anyway)

The reason the shoulder buttons feel good is because the biggest problems with the shoulder buttons were that the L button was hard to push while using the direction pad at the same time without cramping your hand. Plus the distance from the direction pad to the L button was too close and made your hand position awkward. The cube controller has a little more distance and uses an Analog stick as it's major directional. With an analog stick you don't have to put as much pressure down with your thumb so it's easier to have a loose index finger for the L button.

Therefore put the block button on one of the shoulder buttons where your index fingers should already be resting since it's the natural spot for them when holding the controller. How much faster can you get than that?

My ONLY problem with the Playstation shoulder buttons is the fact that there are 4 of them and I get confused in the heat of battle as to which one I have my finger over sometimes, but that is easily remedied through practice.

As I said before I love the Playstation controller and NEVER said it was a bad controller.

Here's my problem with what I'm hearing from JOTW and Eric:

Proven fact? How? Through this?:

Call it opinion all you want, but I am 99% sure that if you take two people of equal skill, give on of them a dual shock 2 and one of them a GCN pad, the person with a PS2 controller wins. They're playing with their controller, not fighting against it

Last time I checked that CAN'T be proven because you cannot hook a cube controller to a PS2 and vice versa. Until it's physically proven it cannot be "proven fact"

EDIT: (I realized the one that went here was a little out of context so I removed it, but moving on)

Now I realize those aren't direct quotes from you, but it's the only thing I've seen so far that even resembles an attempt at making it a "proven fact"

I'm not trying to be an ass. I have no problem with you, but you're being pretty rude about this whole thing.

I have NEVER had a problem yet using the Cube controller. So either I have Super Double Jointed Hands (which I don't because I'm boarderline arthritic) or maybe just maybe what you're saying is only just OPINION no matter how loudly or brashly you proclaim it.

I have no problem with the Playstation controller. Heck I have little problem with the X-Box controllers. I didn't like the old Xbox controller, but that one's a thing of the past. I'm not a bad person. If I had the money I'd probably have all three systems, but I don't have the money and the only reason I have a Gamecube is because after I traded in all my old video games at Game Crazy I found I would only end up paying $3.50 for the Cube with all the in store credit I had.

Edited by LaParkaYourCar

Johnson1620

AL.gif

ROLL TIDE!!!

Group: Members

Member No.: 3462

ITS A FACT.

--------------------

lepers.jpg

QUOTE (Vern Gagne @ Aug 2 2003 @ 02:33 AM)

"Nash would laugh if you fainted."-Vern Gagne

Huh? It's a fact that Johnson is an Alabama fan and that he joined on that date and has that many posts and has that sig? Yeah that's a fact.

Has Johnson even posted in this thread? Where did that come from anyway?

I love how you people piss and moan about people buying Soul Calibur II on Gamecube and not bowing down and thinking your OPINION is an undeniable fact. If anyone is a fanboy it's the people that get angry and put other people down for having different opinions on video games. Get a life...seriously. Nobody cares how good you are at Street Fighter. I play SF with my friends all the time for FUN. When all you care about is winning and being "THE MASTA WITH MAD SKILLZ" then all the fun goes away. And when you decide that you like a controller better than another and then go crazy b/c people like the controller you hate...well then you just become sad. Just because you have "MAD SKILLZ" doesn't mean you're right.

Ok everyone I will admit it! Sakura could probably school me at SCII! Yes I would lose the game! But does that mean that her opinion on what controller is better and which version is better is better than my opinion? NO...it just means she's better at the game.

Thank you Damaramu. I don't know how I could even be considered a fanboy while others are being vicious about their choice and pushing opinion as fact.

I've already said that I like the controllers for all three. My hand just fits to the cube controller so well that it's hard for me not to like and add on the shoulder button discussion I had and that's why I like my cube controller.