TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Dr. Tom - Question About Ravens QB's

I'm possibly looking to pick up 1 of the Ravens QB's as a 3rd string QB on my fantasy team, and I've got a few questions.

Redman is supposed to begin the season as the starter, correct? Do you think Boller will take over at some point? Who's had the better preseason/camp, and/or who do you think is the better QB? Or, more precisely, who would be the better acquisition?

I doubt I'll ever need to use either guy, but it'd be nice to have 1 of them in case they have a good year, or to use as trade bait.

Thanks!

I'd wait. Im sensing that Billick won't announce the starter for the Steelers game (Week 1) until 15 minutes before kickoff.

Its all going to depend on the last preseason game this thursday vs the Giants, however I'd say that Redman will probably get the nod even though everyone wants Boller as the starter. The only problem is Boller looked like crap vs the Redskins.

Based on the game they just played against the Redskins, I'd bet my paycheck that Redman is the starter on opening day. He doesn't have Boller's arm strength, but he's more accurate with his throws, doesn't try to do too much, and showed some great poise on several plays Saturday. Anthony Wright was supposed to mop up, but Billick left Redman in the whole way. He's definitely the starter. If he performs like I think he can, Boller will only play this year if Redman gets hurt. Jamal Lewis is the focus of the offense, but Redman could sneak 3000 passing yards and 16 TDs under the radar pretty easily.

Boller looked nervous and jittery Saturday, and while he zipped the ball in there a few times (throws Redman probably couldn't make), he doesn't have the poise to be a starter yet. In a keeper league, Boller is the better long-term call, but if you're looking for a third-stringer for this year, I'd definitely go with Redman.

Thanks. I'd be dropping Carson Palmer, but I doubt he'd get any playing time until later in the season.

BTW - it's not a true keeper league. You have the option to draft 1 rookie each year prior to the league draft, and sign him for 1, 2, or 3 years, giving up a pick each year based on the length that you've signed him. I did *not* do this w/ Palmer, so that's not a concern. Actually drafted Andre Johnson, but didn't sign him. I was able to draft him normally, so I still got my guy w/out having to pay compensation.

Boller looked pretty good tonight and Redman looked like crap.

Boller had 2 TDs (49 yards to Travis Taylor and 1 yard to Marcus Robinson), total of 99 yards passing.

Redman went 1-6 for 11 yards in 3 series.

Its pretty much a tossup..

Local news stations were reporting even before the game that Boller was going to get the job. He did look a lot better last night, and Redman certainly looked worse than the previous week. I think it would be a huge mistake to start Boller, though. There is NO way he would handle a defense like Pittsburgh's without the poise and defense-reading that only NFL experience can bring.

Guess it's a good thing I didn't bet my paycheck after all...

Besides, if Boller is named the starter, it'll just be one more knock against Brian Billick's supposed genius.

There is NO way he would handle a defense like Pittsburgh's without the poise and defense-reading that only NFL experience can bring.

Yeah, but then again, how many games has Redman started in the NFL? Six. So I don't really think that the experience issue has much importance.

Im all for Boller starting.

With 4 years experience with the same offense, Chris Redman was beaten out by a rookie that held out the first week of training camp.

In the short term, I see no difference in starting Boller over Redman. Whatever number of games Boller will lose making the unavoidable "rookie QB" mistakes, he'll conceivably win other games making plays that the slow, noodle armed Redman couldnt make.

In the long term, the sooner he gets through the growing pains of learning to be an NFL QB the better for the Ravens.