TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caboose

I have 10 hours to type four 2000 word essays!

I just found out I have until 12pm GMT on the 28th of August to type four 2000 word essays on various topics.

That means i have just over 10 hours from now to do it.

I thought I had until the 28th of September to do them, but under the advise of someone on my course, I looked again at my course handbook. And yep, in clear print, the deadline is 10 hours away.

Here goes nothing...

American Studies

1: Discuss Hollywood and its reinterpretation of History to sell more cinema tickets.

Film History

2: Discuss the use of editing to help construct narrative in any two films of my choice.

American Literature

3: Is Edna Pontellier a selfish character? (The Awakening)

Popular Culture

4: How relevant is Adorno' theory of the 'commodification' of popular music to today's music scene?

1 + 3 are easy enough, and I can type those in 3 hours. 2+4 are tricky, both require me reading up on them before typing.

I may just get them done...

If anyone knows anything about the topics, feel free to post. I'll be using the board as a vent of my annoyance...

Guest Ecto Cooler
American Studies

1: Discuss Hollywood and its reinterpretation of History to sell more cinema tickets.

Film History

2: The use of editing to help construct narrative in any two films of my choice.

American Literature

Popular Culture

4: How relevant is Adorno' theory of the 'commodification' of popular music to today's music scene?

1 + 3 are easy enough, and I can type those in 3 hours. 2+4 are tricky, both require me reading up on them before typing.

If anyone knows anything about the topics, feel free to post. I'll be using the board as a vent of my annoyance...

1. Talk about Titanic

2. Talk about Pulp Fiction

Last two I can't offer any advice.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

For the first you might want to point out how current day movies focus on unrealistic acts of heroism while ignoring the everday hero.

And how Historical based movies are twisted so that Hollywood can make more of a profit of it.

Like uh...They beefed up the romance angle in LOTR's just to attract female viewers.

stuff like that. I can think of better parellels but...I won't.

I have no clue who Adorno is much less his theory.

GOod luck buddy

Guest cobainwasmurdered

For the first you might want to point out how current day movies focus on unrealistic acts of heroism while ignoring the everday hero.

And how Historical based movies are twisted so that Hollywood can make more of a profit of it.

Like uh...They beefed up the romance angle in LOTR's just to attract female viewers.

GOod luck buddy

Guest cobainwasmurdered

GOod luck buddy

American Studies

Film History

2: The use of editing to help construct narrative in any two films of my choice.

American Literature

Popular Culture

1. Talk about Titanic

2. Talk about Pulp Fiction

Last two I can't offer any advice.

1: I did talk about Titanic, and I've done the first one already!

2: Thats a good choice. Thank you VERY much.

I might just make it...

You know, posting here ain't gonna help him either.

But it reminds me of finals my first college semester, waking up at 7:30 with a psychology paper due at 11:30, and pumping out an 11 page paper that earned me a 90.

My finest college moment so far.

some other good editing movies:

Memento

Reservoir Dogs

Godfather 2

Identity

2001: A Space Oddyssy

Historical reinterpritations:

Pearl Harbor

man, I want to take these classes!

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Yes, only temporarily.

Buuuut...

(ponders making the mods "forget" to re-admit Caboose)

*Bribes Dames with "Fat elderly hoochies" mags*

*Bribes BPS with NWAtna Swag*

*Bribes Jingus with a shiny metal button*

*Gives kahran and Bryan a Benoit tape to fight over*

*Gives APO a best of CWM tape*

I did my part.

Thanks to everyone helping.

And CWM and Kotz thanks for the thought, I guess...

I feel like a prick for doing play-by-play on my essay progress, so I'll stop.

Yeah the first one was easy and I ripped through it. I've done three now and I've got 2 1/2 hours to write one more. But this is the one I'm positively stuck on:

Film History

2: Discuss the use of editing to help construct narrative in any two films of my choice.

One had to be one I studied and the other is an I choose. I've decided that 'The Battleship Potemkin' (studied) and 'Pulp Fiction' (my choice) are the two films. But after talking about the fast editing to help convey drama and panic in 'Potemkin' and after talking abou the obvious narrative order that Pupl Fiction uses, I'm all outta ideas. HELP!

I've come this far, I can't fail now!

65 minutes to go...

Memento was my second choice, but there are still aspects of the plot I don't understand and I saw Pulp Fiction two days ago so I know it quite well.

And I've just wrapped up the last one!

Waiting for it to finish printing, and I'll be on my way to Northampton to hand them all in. They'll be C grades, but thats enough to pass the year and it wont bear relevance on my final degree after three years, so its all good.

Thanks for those who helped or those who tried to get me banned (I'm looking at you Kotz and CWM). This has been a traumatic experience. I wish someone had taken a picture of my face when I realised I had to type four essays in ten hours. It'd be priceless.

Catch you all later...

I just found out I have until 12pm GMT on the 28th of August to type four 2000 word essays on various topics.

That means i have just over 10 hours from now to do it.

I thought I had until the 28th of September to do them, but under the advise of someone on my course, I looked again at my course handbook. And yep, in clear print, the deadline is 10 hours away.

Here goes nothing...

I pity you

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Good Luck man. I wish my life was that interesting, I have a few assignments due, one involves going to the top of the mountain to recieve instrcutions.

Guest Choken One

Likely because every other college kids salivate for the "uncandid brilliance" of Memento and I'm banking the professor would be tired of reading 22 year coffee house fuckers trying to tell him Nolan is Hitchcock's Illegitimate son.

You make a good move by NOT talking about those or Pulp Fiction...

Shows the Professor you don't follow what the others think and have your own thoughts...

I bet he'd perfer to read a essay on the brilliance of Van Wilder over then another Memento jismed paper.

I have to write about something that inspires me by Sept. 9.

I'm really not inspired enough to write it, so I figure I'll have a great idea for what to write about when the idea pops into my head to write the paper.

Or, I'll just write about a random song.

I'm banking the professor would be tired of reading 22 year coffee house fuckers trying to tell him Nolan is Hitchcock's Illegitimate son.

I only just turned 19 and I hate coffee.

Plus, Nolan wishes he was Hitchcock's illegitimate bastard.

Guest Fook

Be sure to dig this thread up and update us when you get your marks.

I'm tempted to see if four essays in ten hours can actually produce decent grades.

RESULTS CAME TODAY!

American Studies

I talked about 1492, Glory, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Pearl Harbour and U-571. Grade: C+

Film History

I talked about Pulp Fiction and The Battleship Potemkin. Grade: B

American Literature

Grade: C+

Popular Culture

I talked about Nu-Metal's Rise & Fall, Hip-Hop's continued rise in record sales and Pop Music. Grade: A-

Alls well that ends well I guess!