TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Flik

A Little More About TEW

Taken from .400 boards.

And for those of you wondering, I finally got my ass out of the mess I put myself in (for at least the time being) so I'll be back. At least off and on again. Here's Countdown #7 for you people.

Hi,

This countdown is a few days early as Torri is currently without a computer, and i'm not around for the next few days. This one is about the User Booking section of the game. This is not meant to be a complete guide to everything about booking, this will only scratch the surface - this is because i haven't finished writing the section yet, and also it's too in-depth to cover in one post. Therefore, please don't bombard me with "but will feature X be in?" questions.

The game is split into two sections, AM and PM. The AM is when you handle your "management" duties - hiring and firing people, dealing with sponsors, etc, etc. The PM section occurs on the night of a show, and is when you do the "booking" duties - setting out how the event will flow. My aims when writing this section were to keep the detail that EWR had, but after what people have said in the suggestions forum, to make it a simpler user experience.

The TEW booking differs from EWR booking in three major ways - Timing, Scheduling, and Layout.

Timing - As mentioned before, all segments in TEW are time-based, with a minimum of 1 minute per segment. You assign the time to each segment, with minimum and maximum times defined by the segment in question (i.e. - you can't hold a 30 man Royal Rumble in 3 minutes for obvious reasons). The time has various effects. For example, booking an hour long match will wear the workers out, possibly bore the crowd, and will mean you have less time available to get other people on the show. Similarly, booking only 3 minute matches will not let your workers have the time to put on great matches. The same is true for interviews - too short and the worker won't have time to make their point, too long and the fans will get restless.

Scheduling - This is where you can re-arrange segments as much as you like. The show is presented in a chronological list, so you would see something similar to:

Segment 1: Scotsman vs Scott Keith (Match, 8 minutes)

Segment 2: TC Dale challenges Joe Stallings (Interview, 2 minutes)

Segment 3: Scotsman runs over Scott Keith in a truck (Angle, 1 minute)

Underneath are simple Up and Down arrows, which allow you to move the order of segments with a few simple clicks. There's also Delete and Modify buttons in case you make mistakes.

Layout - One of the complaints about EWR was that people didn't like the Steps system of booking. In TEW, this has been taken out, and everything is on one screen, visible from the start. So if you want to select that the World Title is on the line before you pick the competitors, that's fine. What's more, as mentioned earlier, there is a Modify button for every segments, so if you want to go back to an earlier segment and change it from being a World Title match to a Non-Title match, you can do that in just a few mouse clicks.

Like EWR, the segments are either Match, Angle or Interview. One change is that TEW now has a fourth category, Video, which was considered an angle in EWR.

Another change is that you can now book both a TV show and Event on the same night. This is to correctly simulate the way the WWE have Heat before a Pay-Per-View.

The next Countdown will be out around the 22nd.

Merry Christmas,

Adam

Thankfully, Video is no longer an angle. I always wondered why it was considered as an angle, when really it wasn't. Well, people, discuss.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Layout - One of the complaints about EWR was that people didn't like the Steps system of booking. In TEW, this has been taken out, and everything is on one screen, visible from the start.

Thank God.

The whole issue about timing is brilliant, btw

Yo~! It's my B-Day and I feel a little in the giving MOOD~!

Here's Countdown #8, althought it is a little different than your normal update!

Taken from .400 Boards

Hi,

As this is the final Countdown of the year, i've decided to take a different approach - rather than the usual look at a feature, i thought i'd give an overview of where the project is at the moment. We'll go back to looking at features when the Countdown returns in 2004.

As you know, TEW is scheduled for a release late in the first quarter of 2004. I can confirm that we are on course to hit that deadline at the moment, as the game is currently around 75% complete. It is actually playable at this point - in the sense that you can book shows, move between days, do all the usual hiring and firing, etc - although a lot of the features are not totally complete and need fine-tuning. Graphics and layout work is beginning on the game shortly, so hopefully we will have some screenshots to be released sometime soon.

I can confirm that the long loading times that EWR had have been pretty much eliminated in TEW. My test machine is a 2.21GHz machine with 512MB of RAM (so a decent, but not great PC), and the load time to start a new game is somewhere in the region of 2 seconds. Moving from one day to the next takes roughly the same amount of time, with an additional 1-2 seconds processing for each computer-controlled promotion that runs a show that night. During loading times there is also an on-screen display that tells you what section is being done, so you can see what is going on at all times. This is primarily to stop people with really slow machines from thinking their PC has frozen, as they will actually be able to see the display changing as the games processes information.

One of my primary aims is to make sure that the final game is as bug-free as possible. To this end, the beta team have already begun playing around with the current version, and i'm pleased to say very few problems have been found. Also, i have written a special piece of code that allows me to let the game run on its own for a pre-defined amount of time. This means that i can leave it on overnight to run for many decades of game time, and then check for any errors that occured in the morning. This is a huge advantage. With EWR, the final game was usually only complete a few days before release day, and so the beta team could only complete a few years of game time, meaning some bugs got through. With TEW, we'll be able to easily complete hundreds of years of game time testing before the release, which means the likelihood of CPU-caused errors getting through is very small.

One of the areas i am most pleased with is the way workers develop over time. When new workers appear, unlike EWR, they're never super workers who can immediately get on your roster. They need to go to a training camp in order to learn the basics. After learning that, then they need to gain the experience of working in front of live crowds. Only once they've reached this level can you then take them and start to build them into the next world champion. There'll be more detail on this in a later Countdown, but this is definitely one of my favourite features of TEW.

A feature that i think will be incredibly popular is the history section. With just a few clicks, you can find a wrestler's full match and title history. The match history stores every match you (or any other human player) have booked, and let's you search through it whenever you want. So if you've played all the way through to 2045 and suddenly feel like looking up the first time that Wrestler A and Wrestler B fought back in 2004 - no problem. Not only can you find the match result and what data it was on, you can also find out the ratings, the location, and who else was involved in the match! This is something i've wanted to do for ages, and i'm glad that not only have i finally got to do it, but it works incredibly well (and fast).

So, to sum up, the game is progressing well, and should be out in just a few months. Look for the regular Countdown to return, with Torri back as the writer, in 2004. Until then, happy holidays!

Adam

You bitches better appreciate my services.

From .400 boards as always.

It's 2004.. and it's time for the first TEW Countdown of the new year! Being that this is the first countdown of the year, I allowed people to voice their opinions on what they want to hear about next. So, without further adieu.. I give you - the TEW Countdown!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week's Countdown is on..the MATCH EDITOR!

Currently, to my knowledge, you can create up to as many matches as you want!

There are several options of this and they are as follows..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Types Of Matches:

Regular Match - Don't be fooled, this doesn't mean that only "regular" matches will be allowed. It just means that it's basically a regular match between any number of people. It can range from a hardcore match to an I quit match.

Basically, "Regular Matches" consist of any match that is not a Battle Royal type of match. Meaning -  Tag Team, Hardcore, Ladder, Cage etc.. matches will be classified as "Regular Matches"

Battle Royal Style Match - Battle Royal matches can have anywhere from 4 to 30 participants. Also, so that the battle royal match is realistic, if you have 30 participants, you cannot have the match go 30 minutes. With 30 participants, the minimum time you *must* give the match is 56 minutes. If you attempt to make it less than 56 minutes (in the match editor) it simply won't work.

Also, in addition to choosing how many participants are in each match (4 to 30) you can also choose how many minutes go by until the next wrestler enters the match (From 0 to 5 Minutes!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Types Of Endings:

Elimination

Total Elimination

1st Fall

2 Out of 3 Falls

Most Falls

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finishes Available:

Pinfall

Submission

DQ

Count Out

First Blood

Table Break

Retrieve Via Ladder

10 Count

10 Count After Pin

Stripping

Set On Fire

Fall From Scaffold

Cage Escape

Knock Out

Stoppage

Trap Inside Object

Time Limit

Over Top Rope

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ring Set Up:

Cage - This enables you to create a Cage Match.

Cell - Hell In A Cell anybody?

Fire - This enables you to create the horrid match between Kane and Undertaker that was simply known as the 'Inferno Match' :P

Barbed Wire - This enables you to relive the magic that was Terry Funk versus Cactus Jack!

Scaffold - Enables you to create a scaffold match.

Tables - This enables the table match.. or a TLC Match!

Ladders - This should be self explanitory.. but if it isn't - this means this match is most likely a Ladder Match or part of a TLC match.

Weapons - This means that Weapons will be set up/available around or near the ring.

Seperate Set - This option checked would mean the match would have a ring setup similar to The Lions Den Match where there was an arena/cage/ring set up apart from the actual wrestling ring. (Note: This feature isn't confirmed to be in the final version due to various reasons.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other Stuff:

Hardcore Rules - This means the match has Hardcore Rules.

Interference Allowed - Obviously, this means that interference is allowed in this type of match.

Risk - This is where you set the risk level for this match. Unfortunately for you, most options have risk level settings. For instance, you *have* to set the risk for the match (and your promotion) at 35% in order to have a "Hardcore Rules Match." Don't worry about not knowing what risk level you have to have for each match; the editor will let you know if you don't get it right :) And no, you can not change what the required risk level for each match is.

Minimum Time - This is the minimum amount of time that is required for a match. Due to this, unfortunately, you can't properly simulate World Wrestling Entertainment as the minimum time for all matches is 5 Minutes.  :lol:

Suits - There are 5 (All, Brawlers, Daredevil, Speed, Technical) options in that catergory. Basically, what it means is if you chose "Daredevil" somebody like The Amazing Red would be a whole lot more comfortable in this match as opposed to somebody like Mark Henry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's rather impossible to accurately describe how much freedom and how many options you have when creating a match. I know the people who have sick, sick minds will enjoy this as you can create pretty much any match possible!

If there are things you don't understand about this, let me know in the thread and I'll try to describe it better. Or, you can just flood Adam's inbox with questions(something I wouldn't encourage.. but if you do, you didn't get that idea from me LOL)

Also, this is not a final list of options in this Match Editor. Adam is forever changing things around, so there may be less or more options available! Not that you would really need anything else, as this has pretty much everything imagineable (Okay, maybe not imaginable.. i've seen how some of you use your imagination :P)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That does it for this week's TEW Countdown. Tune in next Saturday, for the next TEW Countdown which will be on..

Torri

(P.S. To those who don't get it, I meant to leave out what the next Countdown will

be on :P)

Oh, and people, remember that I'm having an OPEN challenge for a 4 way diary (remember people, it IS multiplayable), and so anyone who owns the game is welcomed to join in.

Oh and soon as I know as much as I can, I'll set stips and the like for the 4 way diary.

You know the drill. Now read and chat you bloody hadians~!

Hi,

Torri has unfortunately suffered a major computer crash and won't be back on-line until February, therefore i am going to be doing this Countdown. This is also the last of the regular Countdown posts - we may do the occasional new one, but it won't be on a regular schedule like before.

STORYLINES

The idea behind the new storylines section was to take the idea behind Feuds from EWR, and take it to the next level. Therefore, by reading through the feedback on various message boards, i came up with the following as the list of flaws with Feuds that needed to be addressed:

* Too Easy - it was very hard to not have an effective feud, as all you needed to do was make sure you did X amount of matches and interviews and ended when Sophie told you to.

* Too Restrictive - people didn't like that every feud was pretty similar in terms of content

* Restrictions On Style - people wanted to not be constrained by only having the choice of Singles or Tag.

* Restrictions On Ending - people didn't want to be forced to end it with a match.

* Restrictions On Competitors - because Feuds were focussed around matches \ one final match, it meant you couldn't really have feuds with people who couldn't wrestle.

The solution to this was clearly to address the problems on restrictions. Therefore storylines were created to be as open and free-flowing as possible. That was done as follows...

* Firstly, when starting a storyline, you pick between 2 and 4 people to be involved. It is important to note that at no point do you define what the relationships between those people are. The game assigns the storyline an "interest level" (the equivelant of "feud heat") based on who is involved.

* From there, whenever a segment (match, interview or angle) involves 2 or more people in a storyline, the interest level is altered based on the overall rating of that segment.

* The storyline ends when the player chooses to do so - there is no pre-determined point (such as a big final match with a clean finish).

So, that's a very simplified version of the process....but what does it mean? Essentially, it means that the only restriction on the storyline is your own imagination, which addresses all the flaws listed above! You're not constrained by having to base it around matches (in fact, there's no reason that you need have any matches whatsoever), you're not constrained by having to have it in the form of "? vs ?", and you're not constrained by having a single goal (i.e. to end with a big match).

Here's some real world storyline examples to show the flexibility of the system:

* Raven vs Dreamer (Part 1) - You'd set the angle to involve Raven, Tommy, Stevie and Beulah. You'd begin with an angle of Stevie introducing Raven for his debut, then move on to a match between Dreamer and Stevie that ends with Raven attacking Tommy. From there you'd move on to a series of matches with Raven defeating Tommy each time with help from Richards. Next you'd have Stevie introduce Beulah, have her manage Raven and help him to a few more wins over Dreamer. Eventually you would move onto an angle that had Dreamer save Beulah when Raven turns on her, and have her become Dreamer's manager. You could end the storyline at that point, and perhaps start a new one, a sequel of sorts, starring Raven, Cactus, Tommy and Funk. Anyway, that's pretty much Part 1 of their feud in a nutshell, and how it would be recreated - with the storyline interest level being altered each time one of those segments happened.

* Steph's original heel turn - Start the storyline with Steph, Test, HHH, and Vince. Start with a bunch of angles with Steph and Test dating, without any involvement from the other two competitors. Eventually have a proposal and marriage angle, but have HHH crash the wedding. Then have Vince and HHH interact leading to a match, and have Stephanie turn on Vince to set up a HHH victory. You could end the storyline at this point, or end it after an angle setting up a new stable of the "McMahon-Helmsley Era".

* Taz vs Sabu - Quite a simple one, involving Taz, Rob Van Dam, Fonzie and Sabu. Begin it with months of interviews from Taz and Fonzie calling out Sabu, while having RVD and Sabu involved in several matches against each other. Have RVD eventually turn and join Sabu. Have a few matches between Taz and Rob. Eventually have the Taz vs Sabu match, ending with Fonzie moving to be Sabu's manager. You could end the feud there.

What i'm trying to get across is that it's up to you how each storyline plays out. You could work in stages (like the Steph angle - HHH and Vince wouldn't actually do anything in the storyline until a few months in, at which point Test doesn't have any more to do with the storyline), base it entirely around angles, or just go for the traditional "two guys hate each other" and end it with a singles bout. The only real limitation is on what angles are available to work with (and there should be a LOT in the final game).

Here's a quick FAQ:

* How would i know when to end the feud?

It's up to you when to end it. The Meeting section will tell you when people are starting to lose interest in it, and you'll be able to see the "interest level" dropping, but as long as that's not happening, it's up to you when to end it.

* What's to stop me keeping the feud running for ever?

Fans will get bored eventually. How long before this happens depends on the interest level of a feud - a 100% storyline can keep going for ages, whereas a 5% one won't last long.

* Will there be a history \ stats section for my storylines?

There will be a history page for each one, showing what has happened so far.

* Is there a limit to how many storylines i can have?

No, although a worker can only appear in one storyline at a time, so the size of your roster will limit how many you can have running simultaneously.

* What if someone gets injured or leaves?

If a worker leaves, the storyline automatically ends. If he's injured, it's up to you to either wait for him to return, or kill the storyline.

* What happens if i forget about a storyline?

Like EWR Feuds, if a feud doesn't have anything happen to it for a while, it will start to lose it's interest level. Therefore it's not a wise move to have too many feuds at once, as you won't be able to keep them all going at once without causing yourself problems.

* Can i add \ remove workers from a storyline that's in progress?

No. Otherwise you could use your main eventers to put on a 100% storyline, swap them with your jobbers, end the storyline, and have your jobbers have a massive increase in overness.

That it does. I'm hoping to get a four way diary game going. Yup yup. This makes it seem like it will be so easy to do.

And make each storyline unique and different.

Edited by Lightning Flik

"If a worker leaves, the storyline automatically ends."

I'm not sure I like that. What if the worker was a minor player in the storyline? Or if the worker was only involved in the first half of the storyline, then they leave right before you plan to end it? That would be a major buzzkill.

"If a worker leaves, the storyline automatically ends."

I'm not sure I like that. What if the worker was a minor player in the storyline? Or if the worker was only involved in the first half of the storyline, then they leave right before you plan to end it? That would be a major buzzkill.

But, it IS a problem many Indy feds would face should anything happen to a minor player.

Even if he is minor, that worker might've gone from that to something else that makes him a major player (as it builds into that).

Guest The Last Free Voice

Man, I'd take all ya'll if i had enough time to regularly play and write Just like I was going to rule the SJL. And the OAOAST.....

Flik, the first time around, in the EWR Challenge, my Diary ruled yours.

:) Well duh.

Second time, I ruled all.

Seriously though, you and me. And whoever else. Of course, I'd add LFV if he wants to be.

Then we just need one more person and have the four way battle of EWness to the T.