TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

I've actually made it noted in a couple of posts and that's Stanford. No I didn't go to Stanford, which people probably could figure out, I just grew up following them and stuck with them. Hey if they beat Cal and Notre Dame they'll be going to the historic Silicon Valley Bowl! :P

Besides I've really become a diehard college football fan and can talk about almost any team. Definently partial to Pac-10 football for obvious reasons.

Angelslayer and El Satanico are the Big Ten guys.

I'm both Big 10 (used to live there and grew up as Michigan fan) and Big 12 (live in Kansas, went to KSU)

Bored is the Pac-10 guy around here, along with Spicy McHaggis.

Rob's the Big XII guy.

Johnson and myself are the SEC dudes.

Eww.

We don't have a Big East or ACC dude. We should change that.

Rob's the only Big XII guy? Ummm.........HELLO! *raises hand* I do go to OU and they are my favorite team.

Rob's the Big XII guy.

Eww.

Rob's the only Big XII guy? Ummm.........HELLO! *raises hand* I do go to OU and they are my favorite team.

Haha, you get no-sold

Rob's the Big XII guy.

Eww.

Sorry, the UGS painted over the OU made me forget. Calm down, sheesh.

If it weren't for Johnson being the other SEC guy, the SEC delegation here would rock everyone too. Oh wait, Teke is also SEC, that balances it out.

Rob's the Big XII guy.

Eww.

Haha, you get no-sold

I'm always no sold.......*grumbles*

Oh, I'd definitely be the ACC dude if I bothered to post more. I've grown to love all brand of Tobacco Road football in the past few years. We've just been such a horribly dull conference this year that it's hard to have much to say. Virginia and to a lesser extent Maryland and NC State have seriously underperformed from preseason expectations. This was supposed to be the year that these three teams really stepped up and kicked FSU to the curb, and instead they're all doing worse than they did last year, when no one was expecting them. Add Clemson and Georgia Tech being Okay but nothing great, and it's a really, really bland year in the ACC. It's all parity - everyone's trading wins all over the place, and everyone's losing on stupid mistakes. No team in the conference has a stellar defense, and this season has been plagued by sloppiness on all accounts.

I'm not sure if next year's going to be better or worst. The past few years have proven that the middle-of-the-road teams in the conference can hang with FSU, Miami, and VT, but rarely beat them. If the "upcoming teams" continue to underperform next year, it's just going to be the powerhouses hanging up top, predictably, for quite some time. Al Groh and Chuck Amato (UVA and NC State coaches) are both team alumni who love to start good, young players, so I think they stand the best chance of recruiting into greatness. Until then, ain't much to say in the ACC.

Damn that Ohio State. Oh well...I was thinking USC could give OU a competitive Championship game. To bad looks like I have to settle with us crushing Ohio State.

Damn that Ohio State. Oh well...I was thinking USC could give OU a competitive Championship game. To bad looks like I have to settle with us crushing Ohio State.

Hopefully Michigoldberg will step in and finally put an end to the Ohhhio State menace

I guess Ohio State jumped to #2 cause Purdue is a quality win.

What happens if USC, OSU & LSU all win out? Who do you think gets the nod, and who do you think deserves it?

I think that OSU goes to the Sugar if they win out, but I also think that USC is the 2nd best team in the country. Whoever plays OU is going to get slaughtered though.

By the way, this board apparantly needs a 1AA guy, for which I volunteer. The University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens took down #3 UMass in a thrilling triple overtime game this weekend, for those of you concerned.

Should note along with USC/Ohio St. flip, TCU is expected to drop from 6th to 8th in the new BCS rankings.

That pisses me off more than the USC/OSU thing. Apparently the NY Times computer has TCU down somewhere in the twenties, behind some teams with THREE losses. It's disgusting.

Should note along with USC/Ohio St. flip, TCU is expected to drop from 6th to 8th in the new BCS rankings.

That pisses me off more than the USC/OSU thing. Apparently the NY Times computer has TCU down somewhere in the twenties, behind some teams with THREE losses. It's disgusting.

Actually the lowest computer ranking is thrown out and TCU isn't ranked lower than 9th in any of the other computer rankings. Their problem is strength of schedule which is 90th. Although the New York Times did cost USC the #2 spot because they dropped from 3rd to 5th in their rankings. Considering the New York Times is hardly known for sports coverage I think it needs to be dropped from the BCS formula.

One note on Ohio State that I hadn't realized is that they've played 8 of their 11 games at home. The BCS doesn't factor winning at home on the road which is probably something that should be changed.

Edited by Bored

Here is the new BCS Top 25 from collegebcs.com.

1. Oklahoma 1.80

2. Ohio State 7.52

3. USC 7.71

4. LSU 12.21

5. Texas 16.35

6. Georgia 16.73

7. Tennessee 18.15

8. TCU 19.27

9. Michigan 19.73

10. Washington State 21.03

11. Florida State 24.25

12. Miami 24.70

13. Florida 26.91

14. Miami of Ohio 30.53

15. Mississippi 34.11

16. Purdue 35.10

17. Virginia Tech 36.07

18. Iowa 37.52

19. Kansas State 45.55

20. Bowling Green 47.27

21. Oklahoma State 48.94

22. Nebraska 50.61

23. Boise State 50.69

24. Utah 51.38

25. Pittsburgh 52.48

See pic below for what happened last year after the same talk about Ohio State. First Michigan was supposed to crush them. And then, Oh lord, they aren't any competition for Miami. Why, they don't even belong on the same field as Miami.

Dorsey-smsh.jpg

Rob's the Big XII guy.

Eww.

I'm an SEC and C-USA guy myself.

See pic below for what happened last year after the same talk about Ohio State. First Michigan was supposed to crush them. And then, Oh lord, they aren't any competition for Miami. Why, they don't even belong on the same field as Miami.

Dorsey-smsh.jpg

Difference was that Ohio St. team had Maurice Clarrett, that team was undefeated, that team at least had some dominating performances against quality opponents, that team actually had an offense that could score a touchdown, and that team played Michigan at home.

Last year's team was disrespected but this year's team just isn't as good as its record and they are not as good as USC.