TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

Guest Gatornibs

Half the size of Neyland? Hey monkeyfucker, it's holds 90,000, and there's no stadium in the US that olds 180,000. September 20th your team dies in Gainesville. They play in 2008, and Florida/Miami are looking to run at either Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Citrus Bowl in Orlando, or Alltel Stadium in Jax. Neither team is pussying out, it's just a full schedule kind of thing...

Someone's got issues. Both the really mean Gator mark and the guy who thinks that crowd size is the deciding factor in games between pretty evenly matched teams, as I feel Tennessee and Florida are this year.

Time to bump this back up...here is YOUR college football national television schedule for this week. ABC regional games are marked with an asterisk. All times are Pacific because I live in California so screw the Eastern time zone.

Thursday

California at Utah, 4:30 PM, ESPN

Friday

Toledo at Marshall, 4 PM, ESPN

Saturday

#24 N.C. State at #3 Ohio State, 9 AM, ABC*

Arkansas at #6 Texas, 9 AM, ABC*

Purdue at #20 Wake Forest, 9 AM, ESPN

UNLV at #14 Wisconsin, 9 AM, ESPN2

#23 Iowa at Iowa State, 9:30 AM, FSN

#15 Notre Dame at #5 Michigan, 12:30 PM, ABC

# 25 South Carolina at #8 Georgia, 12:30 PM, CBS

Hawaii at #4 USC, 1 PM, FSN

East Carolina at #2 Miami, 4 PM, ESPN2

Kentucky at Alabama, 4:45 PM, ESPN

Penn State at #18 Nebraska, 5 PM, ABC*

Georgia Tech at #10 Florida State, 5 PM, ABC*

Illinois at UCLA, 5 PM, ABC*

Oregon at Arizona, 7 PM, TBS

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

Kentucky will go down if we don't get a bunch of shit calls. :angry:

These...

#15 Notre Dame at #5 Michigan, 12:30 PM, ABC

# 25 South Carolina at #8 Georgia, 12:30 PM, CBS

are the games of the weekend. Georgia and Notre Dame win is close games.

Just for fun I'm gonna post the current BCS ratings. Now okay the real ratings aren't available for quite some time but there is a site that puts it together even before the official one comes out. Its collegebcs.com but you have to pay to get access to the ratings and they rank every team not just the the top 15. Now the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt since some teams have only played one game and not all of the computer ratings are available at this time. But just to for the hell of it and since I'm Bored here is the current BCS Top 25 and also throw in the Bottom 10.

1. Miami 4.27

2. Ohio State 13.99

3. Georgia 18.26

4. Kansas State 21.16

5. Oklahoma 21.49

6. USC 22.80

7. Michigan 23.04

8. Colorado 25.37

9. Florida State 33.26

10. Wake Forest 34.37

11. Texas 35.54

12. Tennessee 36.74

13. LSU 39.63

14. Notre Dame 39.70

15. Wisconsin 42.70

16. Nebraska 43.63

17. Florida 46.63

18. Pittsburgh 47.58

19. South Carolina 47.88

20. TCU 51.51

21. Texas A&M 53.74

22. Missouri 56.26

23. Iowa 57.12

24. Virginia Tech 57.44

25. Oregon 60.99

Bottom 10

117. Baylor 118.34

116. UTEP 115.14

115. Idaho 114.67

114. Buffalo 114.53

113. Temple 111.79

112. Akron 108.15

111. Vanderbilt 106.92

110. East Carolina 106.14

109. Army 105.71

108. Indiana 104.28

How is Kansas St. ahead of Oklahoma? Guess that McNeese St. game was tougher than it looked.

Waits for Rob's response.

Well four of the seven computer ratings are currently available and the Massey Ratings (I have no clue what it is) has Oklahoma ranked 76th. Probably the reason why they wait till late October to release these things.

How is Kansas St. ahead of Oklahoma? Guess that McNeese St. game was tougher than it looked.

Waits for Rob's response.

Probably because Bama almost won that game. But this really doesn't mean shit this early. It's still cool to see though.

I want Bama/Oklahoma again next year, dammit...

Wasn't the original contract for just 2 games? If so, I don't see how they could NOT extend it considering how great the games have been.

Oh wait... Bama plays this week? Oh, it's Kentucky... BAH.

I want Bama/Oklahoma again next year, dammit...

Wasn't the original contract for just 2 games? If so, I don't see how they could NOT extend it considering how great the games have been.

Oh wait... Bama plays this week? Oh, it's Kentucky... BAH.

I heard that OU was trying to get out of anymore games with Bama. But I don't think that's true.

Does anybody know?

Isn't quality of opponent more important than margin of victory?

Yes it does, and that was really my point. Bama does have a quaility team, it's just young...and on probation. :huh:

I checked Alabama's official site and they list the next two year's schedules and they don't have Oklahoma but they only show 11 games so they do have an opening for a non-conference opponent. Oklahoma's site didn't have any future schedules available so don't know if they have an open spot. Alabama could use a higher profile non-conference game as next year's non-conference schedule is Southern Miss, Utah St., and I-AA Western Carolina.

So Badgers RB Anthony Davis gonna be a 1st Round pick in 2 years?

No chance. He's doesn't have the size to be a first round pick. A future in the NFL would probably be a return man or 3rd down back.

Guest Boo_Bradley

No chance. He's doesn't have the size to be a first round pick. A future in the NFL would probably be a return man or 3rd down back.

I thought Davis was 5'11 220ish????? Sounds about right for a NFL back?

*Checks stats*

I thought Davis was 5'11 220ish????? Sounds about right for a NFL back?

*Checks stats*

I don't know how tall he is, but I do know that's Willard Scott and not Gacy.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Arkansas will beat Texas

Let me bring up an article I found

http://nwanews.com/times/story_Sports.php?...?storyid=110079

So what if Houston Nutt turned the University of Texas’ football team and its "Hook ‘em Horns" hand signal upside down while reveling with his own fans near the end of the University of Arkansas’ 27-6 win in the Cotton Bowl back on Jan. 1, 2000.

He could have done his imitation of wrestler Steve Austin and flipped the Longhorn crowd the double bird for all I care, although it sure seems this week that uptight Texas fans think an opposing head coach inverting their fabled signal is far worse than letting the middle finger fly.

Please.

If the Razorbacks win their third straight game in the series on Saturday after being downed in 54 of the previous 72 games, it’s my hope that Nutt does a combination of the two at the conclusion of the contest.

Now I know that flipping the bird would have been and would still be over the top of what is considered good taste, but hey who cares what the enemy thinks.

Let’s have a little fun here.

Oh, and don’t think this is limited to just Arkansas. It goes both ways and Texas coach Mack Brown can rub it in all he wants if his team chalks up the victory.

If Texas whips Arkansas on Saturday, Brown should run over to the UA section (what few tickets UT gave Arkansas) and give them the business. He can come up with some inverted "Kiss this" signal if he wants and go dance with Bevo and it all would be fine with me.

In fact, take a Hog Hat and stomp on it if you want, Coach Brown. Throw in some Oklahoma gear if you dare. Just have yourself a good old time at midfield.

Sure the opposing crowd would boo at any of this and some uptight sports writers, fans, and school officials would have a cow about it being in bad taste and call for some type of disciplinary action.

But who cares? I’ve got your back. Have a ball. Rub it in.

Bring out into the open what you guys do in the locker room. We all know about the fake "Internet" stories you guys use, the fabricated injustices, the computer-generated fake pictures, and unsubstantiated quotes y’all come up with to motivate your teams.

Folks, to the victors go the spoils and one of the best parts of college football is the emotion that goes with it — whether it be the players, fans, or the coaches.

There’s nothing more boring than a "classy" coach who shakes hands and then goes to the press conference and lavishes praise on his vanquished foe.

It makes for boring quotes and boring stories, so both coaches could help liven things up a little with some smack talk and little taunting.

I know there are acceptable norms in which coaches and players are supposed to act while on the field, but other than performing a beatdown on the other team’s mascot or depantsing the refs, just about everything is fair game in my book.

In my fantasy college football world, trash-talking would not only be allowed, but encouraged. Background checks would be done so you could come up with disparaging information on the other team’s quarterback or cheerleaders.

Before the kickoff, coaches could come out to midfield and jaw at one another with one of those wrestling announcers on hand to spur things on.

Heck, we could even have some games where the losing coach also loses his hair, and maybe even some where the coach loses his job. That’d make things a little more interesting.

Let’s just do away with all the niceties before, during, and after the 60 minutes of controlled violence that is college football.

Tell the truth, didn’t you like it back in the old days when Miami was taunting people before, during, and after the games.

Sure, you said publicly "oh, that’s just horrible" and "what thugs," but deep down didn’t you get a kick out of it? I sure did.

The Arkansas-Texas matchup is going to be entertaining anyway, but wouldn’t it be fun to add a little bit more color?

Instead of Brown saying that Houston’s antics were "unusual," what if he said it was Bevo-spit and that he’s ready to open a few cans of you-know-what on Nutt and his Hogs.

Nutt should tell Brown to quit worrying about some crazy hand jive back in the 2000 beatdown and to focus on the BUTT-whipping he and his team are about to get.

Oh, and throw in something about how a real man and a real program would extend it a to a four-year deal instead of signing up for a couple of years and turning down two more because Arkansas has gotten its football program back up off the deck.

Forget all this being nice and classy business. It’s boring.

Go ahead Houston. Go ahead Mack. Drop the facade and throw down the gloves. There’s still 48 hours or so before the kickoff. Tell us how you really feel.

Dudley E. Dawson is a sports writer for the Times.

Ya know.. only in Northwest Arkansas.. :D

Damn, I forgot about West Coast, football at 9, nice indeed.

Toledo-Marshall: I'm surprised the refs weren't throwing flags as Marshall made that semi-drive towards the end of the game.

And I agree that Georgia will beat South Carolina pretty easily.

Georgia's got some injuries, and never count out a Lou Holtz coached team. I still like Georgia to win by at least double digits. But USC will give them a game for 3 quarters, before Georgia pulls away.