TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zorin Industries

A short quiz on Islam

Guest Cerebus
The professor subsequently came in the next class and proceeded to DESTROY those arguments with direct quotes from the Koran which stated a man's duty to own - and beat if necessary - his bride.

And what, pray tell, were those direct quotes from the Koran?

Then why did you score a 40% on this test then.

Hmmmmmmmm?...

I'm so late with responding to this, my bad. But I've got a new job and so have been working early morning shift so haven't had a chance to get back to this topic.

Firstly though, as was previously mentioned, if you look at the 3 questions I was saying I sort of knew:

Queston 5 - C) Fawta is a legal opinion put forward by an Islamic Scholar.

I picked this option because I knew that Fawta are theological decrees and thusly they arent' legal opinions but rather, as the Islam's believe, "revelatory and unquestionable laws". Of course, I'm not as bright as Marney so I wasn't thinking in such blissful wording, but that's what I was thinking at the time. To the Islam Faith, Fawta's aren't opinions but facts that can not be refuted. If it was an opinion then it would be disputed.

Yes, my reasoning is technically right, but not fully.

That's like the other question that Marney had pointed out. I had gotten iywrong but if you went just a little further than what that person had put, the answer would be true.

And just so you know what my answers were:

B) Men can divorce but not vice versa.

I used the same reasoning as Marney provided.

As for my last one, it's question ten that I wasn't sure of.

Yet, I went with B: Islam is the final message of God to humanity, building upon and superceding Judaism and Christianity. Which is partially true.

It's times like these that I'm glad I'm an atheist. My main problem with Islam is that it has resulted in theocracies in the Middle East. Not to mention a lot of these people are stuck in a time-warp (only with today's tech).

The Middle East was a problem area long before Islam even existed. They fight each other as much as they fight us.

Do you know how long Islam has been around.

And JMA is absolutely right here. This is why religion and gov't should be separate. Combining them is equally dangerous for both.

Islam has been around for approximately 1400 years. The Arabs have been around for much, much longer. Many of their current misogynistic practices are reversed remnants of pre-Islamic traditions established by matriarchal societies who worshipped Ishtar/Astarte/Astoreth.

Wait, I'm kinda confused...

I seem to recall that in my Literary Landmarks course last year, we discussed Rushdie, and how he essentially got a death warrant put on his head by Islam. I also seem to recall that our prof referred to it as a fatwa.

Am I simply mistaken in my recollection, or is it somehow open to interpretation that can make it mean a death sentence?

And if I am mistaken, could someone kindly tell me what it should have been called?

Guest Cerebus

i don't know who "islam" is but it was actually Ayatollah Khomeni who issued a fatwa for Rushdie's (not an Iranian) satirical "The Satanic Verses."