TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banter

Chris Nolan Zeroing in on Batman Actor

Warner Bros. & Chris Nolan Zeroing in on Batman Actor

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Tuesday, September 2, 2003

www.comingsoon.net

In the next three days Warner Bros. and director Christopher Nolan will be testing several young actors for the title role of the next Batman movie, which is scheduled to start shooting in February.

The list of potential thesps include Jake Gyllenhaal, Christian Bale, Joshua Jackson, Cillian Murphy, Henry Cavill and Eion Bailey.

Hugh Dancy, who is currently filming Disney's King Arthur, may also test if his schedule permits and he is able to shave the beard his "Arthur" character, Galahad, is sporting.

Jake Gyllenhaal:

22m.jpg

Christian Bale:

12m.jpg

Joshua Jackson:

12m.jpg

Cillian Murphy:

53m.jpg

Henry Cavill:

22m.jpg

Eion Bailey:

43m.jpg

Hugh Dancy:

hugh_darcy.jpg

I'd like to see Jake Gyllenhaal get the part. He is a really good actor and has the "dark" look that is needed to pull off Batman.

Guest El Satanico

Other than Joshua Jackson I don't have a known problem with those.

Out of that list, I'd prefer Jake or Christian Bale

Christian Bale almost has a face that would just fit the mask perfectly. It's a little longer and would make the top of the mask taller and more narrow like it is in the comics.

Plus he's a good actor and I could see him doing Bruce Wayne.

I say Bale or Eion, but def. Bale. Everyone else on there looks to young. And since Nolan is directing it prob. wont be a "Happy happy fun fun" kind of movie. It will most likely kick ass, unless they get some guy who looks like he is 7 to play the part(Everyone except Bale and Eion!)So, I say go with Bale and it should be awesome.

Guest El Satanico

The studio is probably bugging him to cast "young attractive will be able to do multiple movies" types. Joshua Jackson reading for the part is probably Nolan's way of keeping the studio heads quiet.

Guest JMA

Hopefully the actor chosen will bulk up for the part like Reeve did for Superman and McGuire did for Spider-Man.

Guest El Satanico

Why...Batman doesn't win fights by outpowering people. He isn't Superman.

Hell, I'd like to see them show that Batman is human and not as a bulked up unstoppable force like Superman.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I don't want to say (looks gay) that looks are the number one thing. (looks gay) But Cillian Murphy just (looks gay) looks very odd. I can't quite put my finger on it (looks gay). But I don't want him to play bats. (looks gay)

Guest El Satanico
You're right....he still needs to look somewhat strong though...

Well yeah, of course Batman should be in good psychical shape. But he doesn't need to be and shouldn't be bulked up looking.

Guest JMA
Well yeah, of course Batman should be in good psychical shape. But he doesn't need to be and shouldn't be bulked up looking.

Right. We're talking a Year One bodytype, not a DKR one.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Right. We're talking a Year One bodytype, not a DKR one.

Ideally I'd say Batman should be 6'1, 235 lbs.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

To put that into perspective, Chris Reeve was about 225 in Superman 1 and he looked skinny, so...

Why...Batman doesn't win fights by outpowering people. He isn't Superman.

Hell, I'd like to see them show that Batman is human and not as a bulked up unstoppable force like Superman.

Because Bruce Wayne keeps his body at the absolute peak of it's human limitations.

Everyone knows this.

All of the actors look like pretty boy models, is this the Batman Beyond movie they are casting for, if so why not just get the guy who did the voice in the cartoon?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Bruce Should look about as built as the bodybuilder who played him in DEAD END.

Guest El Satanico

Oh alright thought we were talking about him being Mr. Olympia.

Bale is usually in pretty good shape when it's part of the character, so he'd be able to pull that off.

Bale would be the best choice of that group.

The list of potential thesps include Jake Gyllenhaal, Christian Bale,

YES~! Although, Gyllenhaal DOES look too young to play him, Bale would be perfect

Bale, Bailey & Dancy stand out more than the rest. Dancy was said to be the frontrunner a few weeks ago, but I think Bale or Bailey will get the role instead. I think all three could be good, but I hope Bale gets the role. He's been a fan favorite as Batman for a long time.

I don't want to say (looks gay) that looks are the number one thing. (looks gay) But Cillian Murphy just (looks gay) looks very odd. I can't quite put my finger on it (looks gay). But I don't want him to play bats. (looks gay)

I think he looks like the guy who plays Clark Kent in Smallville. Tom Welling if i'm not mistaken.

Guest Choken One

what happened to Nolan's Golden Boy Pearce?

I thought he was hell bent for him...

The only one of these people I care about is Bale, who is not only a fine young actor but would fit the part, physically-speaking, quite well. I hope he gets cast.

There will be a geek revolt, I predict, should Jackson get anywhere near the cowl.