TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

The in-ring interview/promo/whatever...

This is just something of a poll I suppose, just without the poll. For your wrestling shows, RAW, SD, or whatever else you watch or have watched, do you prefer the in-ring happenings at the very beginning or at the very end of a show?

Obviously, if I had to pick one I'd choose neither, but let's not go down that road.

When it's at the very beginning, it can help set the tone for the rest of the show and can help set up the matches for the night. Of course, if it's a very ugly segment, it can really sour people on their outlook of the rest of the show. When it's at the end of a show however, I feel so..."empty" and screwed. When the show goes off, I prefer to have an ending with a match.

I don't know, this entire Brock/Zach deal got me thinking about this for some reason, and I don't remember seeing this topic before, or at least lately.

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest Deviant

First, for the reasons Downhome stated. If it sucks, they often advertise the top couple of matches right after it anyway, which gives you a fair indication of where the show is going.

I'd rather get it over and done with and have it be of some use. I haven't seen SD yet, so I don't know what they did with it last, but I haven't seen (m)any good promos to end shows.

I feel that most shows should start with an in-ring promo. A match just ends, and leaves you with no hook to stay tuned, but a good in-ring promo sets up the story for the night which builds until climaxing in the last segment. The television shows should be more than random matches and build for the PPV. They need to have some sort of storyline which resolves itself that night.

I think the shows should always start with a wrestling match. A decent little opener between midcarders, or even lower carders if they can work.

I think the promo should come in the middle of the show. If you absolutely must have one, it should always establish a major point. Not just "let's have a match later tonight."

I feel that most shows should start with an in-ring promo. A match just ends, and leaves you with no hook to stay tuned, but a good in-ring promo sets up the story for the night which builds until climaxing in the last segment. The television shows should be more than random matches and build for the PPV. They need to have some sort of storyline which resolves itself that night.

I always thought that the commentary team should carry the onus of hooking the viewers with a rundown of the matches, whatever history the wrestlers have with each other, and generally telling the audience to "stay tuned". 20-minute in-ring promos do nothing for me except remind me that I hate Vince McMahon and everyone related to him.

Totally agree James. The way I watch Raw is if they don't hook me in the first 15 minutes I stop watching. The first segments dictates the pace of the show and the priority of the WWE - if they don't put effort in hooking me, why should I continue to watch??

I agree with the middle of the show approach, or even after the first match. The show should always start and end with a match. Given the choices though, it makes more sense to start the show with a promo then end it with one.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Well WWE's best ratings during the boom period came with an opening promo setting up something later in the show (usually a main event) that would form something of a longer program.

It goes down the pan when the opening promo is used to set-up a one week programme i.e. a random challenge to HHH's title that is forgot the next week.

I would rather the last thing on the show be a main event as well. It allows for much more dramatic moments and a 'find out next week' set-up.

Guest Dynamite Kido
[i always thought that the commentary team should carry the onus of hooking the viewers with a rundown of the matches, whatever history the wrestlers have with each other, and generally telling the audience to "stay tuned". 20-minute in-ring promos do nothing for me except remind me that I hate Vince McMahon and everyone related to him.

If only you booked the WWE.......

Totally agree James.  The way I watch Raw is if they don't hook me in the first 15 minutes I stop watching.  The first segments dictates the pace of the show and the priority of the WWE - if they don't put effort in hooking me, why should I continue to watch??

Exactly. And BTW, I'm notJames. James is the guy I'm not. ;)

[i always thought that the commentary team should carry the onus of hooking the viewers with a rundown of the matches, whatever history the wrestlers have with each other, and generally telling the audience to "stay tuned". 20-minute in-ring promos do nothing for me except remind me that I hate Vince McMahon and everyone related to him.

I would have quit 10 minutes after having to write any of the McMahon's into a program.

I say in the middle of the show (RAW-9:50-10:10, SD-8:50-9:10). Start the show off with a nice little match to gain the live crowd's, and the t.v. audience's interest. Then in the middle, they should have all of the promos that lead up to the main event, to get people psyched up about it. Occasionally, at the end you can have a small promo that gives a prelude for next week's show, as long as it's not offensive.

Then those 4.3 ratings would be down the toilet, and the WWE would lose all the progress they've made in the last 2-3 months.

Then those 4.3 ratings would be down the toilet, and the WWE would lose all the progress they've made in the last 2-3 months.

Because "Kane uses CIA-style torture to hurt Shane McMahon" is SUCH progress from "HHH said Kane fucked a dead chick." Not the same? True. But equally stupid? Yes.

James, you're clearly in denial. Accept who you are and be the best damned James you can be.

Damnit, Ravishing Rick Rudo... if that is your real name... I'm telling you I'm notJames. James is someone else, possibly Prince Paul. You've got the wrong man. See, here's my license...

[License removed in accordance with Federal Witness Protection regulations]

Aarrrgghhhh... :bonk:

Guest OnlyMe

Ignoring the content of the segment, the Triple H confronting Kane after TLC4 was done perfectly.

1) Kane was already out there

2) Triple H had something specific to say, and he got straight to the point

3) There's a hook for next week

Guest Deviant

The perfect place for a promo segment is directly after the first match. We get a nice little opener, then we set up the show, and then the show progresses from there allowing JR to overhype the outcome of the promo rather than what's going on in the ring. Yep, perfect.

The use of the end of show promo should be used like OnlyMe said, short and to the point, but with some hook for next week. We're talking no longer than a minute. More than that usually sucks, as shown by Smackdown this week.