Brent Mayne

Shane Halter

Ty Cobb

Ted Williams

Wade Boggs

Chili Davis

Any position players pitch this year?

or last year?

Any guys you think might end up pitching on the losing side of a blowout?

Babe Ruth was known to pitch a game here or there. Well, he did actually start 4 games for the Yankees after becoming a full time outfielder. He pitched his last game in 1933, earning the win in a complete game, giving up five runs.

Jimmie Foxx pitched 9 games as a 37 year old for the Philadelphia A's.

Lefty O'Doul, 4th all time in career batting average, actually pitched 53 innings for the 1923 Boston Red Sox.

Tris Speaker pitched 1 inning in 1914.

Hall of Famer George Sisler pitched 70 innings his rookie year, and pitched well. Like Ruth, however, his manager felt he was more valuable playing every day.

Sam Rice pitched 39 1/3 innings over two years for the Washington Senators.

Tomas Perez of the Phillies pitched last year.

Scott Sheldon, Bert Campaneris, and Jose Oquendo have taken the mound as part of "play all 9 positions" stunts.

Guest Choken One

No one remembers Mark Grace AMAZING performence during a Blowout like last year? He Threw with astounding speed of 53 MPH and actually struck someone out...It wasn't serious at all but Grace just being funny to amuse the fans who had stuck it out and watched the DBacks get killed like 19-2.

Babe Ruth was known to pitch a game here or there. Well, he did actually start 4 games for the Yankees after becoming a full time outfielder. He pitched his last game in 1933, earning the win in a complete game, giving up five runs.

He started his career in Boston as a pitcher. I think he did two seasons before moving to the outfield because of his hitting ability.

I remember Canseco coming in at Fenway while on the Rangers and throwing up meatball after meatball.

Babe Ruth's career as a pitcher is so engrained in history that it really goes without saying. Ruth's 1916 season (23-12, 1.75 ERA) is quite amazing when you consider that he was only 21 years of age.

Guest jonstreich

There's that Brooks Kieschnik fellow out in Milwaukee, he's the first guy to ever hit home runs as a pinch hitter, designated hitter and pitcher in the same year. I reckon that's pretty good.

Scott Sheldon, Bert Campaneris, and Jose Oquendo have taken the mound as part of "play all 9 positions" stunts.

Steve "Psycho" Lyons did as well ... it's got to suck when the two things that you're best remembered for are playing all nine positions in a game and dropping your pants while standing on first base. Nice career, Psycho.

Another player who did a little bit of pitching was Mike Benjamin, known more for his always changing facial hair than his playing. He could've been one of those all 9 position guys but for what ever reason he never went into the outfield.

Steve "Psycho" Lyons did as well ... it's got to suck when the two things that you're best remembered for are playing all nine positions in a game and dropping your pants while standing on first base. Nice career, Psycho.

Lyons was a decent player, but he's fucking annoying in the announce position now.

Funny thing about when Brent Mayne pitched"

The position player (Mayne) was pitching to a pinch-hitting pitcher at one point (Tom Glavine, pinch hitting for Scott Kamieniecki).

Some guy hit his first career off of Grace and Grace said, "It's too bad that he had to hit it off of me"

I just need to say that Mark Grace is the man. In the game, he was like a crippled Tim Wakefield..change-ups baby!!