TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Ok Wildside Fans

Ray Gordy became the new NWA Wildside junior champion as the company celebrated their fourth anniversary with a TV taping at the NWA Arena last night. The show, titled Wildside Version 5.0, drew a hot crowd of 110. Gordy's victory, in a unique six man double elimination sudden death match, was one of two outstanding matches on the show, the other being a tag match that saw Caprice Coleman and Jeremy V defeat Rainman and Azrael. Prior to that match, former Wildside owner, Steve Martin made his return as the new "NWA representative" and stripped V of the World TV Title.

110 Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime I've ragged on this "promtion", someone pops up and tells me to fuck off, that Wildside is the best thing ever, etc, etc, blah blah, blah, Iceberg isnt a fat fuck with an offensive name for a finisher, etc, etc, Rick Micheals isnt a cripple.

So explain to me how an anniversay show draws less than 150 people.

I've seen "WWE Tribute Shows that have drawn more than twice that.

I'd like to see you justify this

Although frankly, If I saw a card with Iceberg, Bull Buchanan and other "stars", from the so called No.1 Pro Wrestling Alternative (in your fucking dreams), I dont think I'd bother either.

For the Record, Ring Of Honor is ->

That way,

110 fans is a bad crowd for sure, but every indy has had attendance drops before. Having less fans live doesn't mean the workrate/storylines/personas are affected though. Granted I'm not as well versed in Wildside as some of my compadres here, but I'm slowly learning the ropes (thanks to Thomas and Jay) and not about to stop because they had a low house at a show.

And I'm an ROH fan already. Was there last night.

Yeah but how much did ROH draw? 750

If Wildside is the "No.1 Pro Wrestling Alternative", as they continualling claim to be. They should promote thir shows better, to a point where they draw more than 200 people.

And stop booking Iceberg...thatd help

EVERY promotion uses the #1 moniker in some form. What type of person would run out to see "The 86th most watched promotion on TV" or something to that effect?

Personally, I thought the main event last night was a huge letdown, and I'll take Wildside storyline booking over ROH storyline booking any day, and that's just mainly from word of mouth/online reviews.

Guest DonWestMark03

IWA Mid-South draws between 20 and 50 people per show, sometimes. Their last show drew EIGHT people and had to be cancelled.

Does it make IWA a bad indy? Uh, no.

Oh, no, dont get me wrong, I happen to love IWA MS to bits.

And whaddya mean ROH has bad storylines. I got drawn into ROH because of the strength of their storylines.

Wildside has...."well, wer'e the NWA Elite and wer'e taking over" Right. Never seen that one before

And whaddya mean ROH has bad storylines. I got drawn into ROH because of the strength of their storylines.

Wildside has...."well, wer'e the NWA Elite and wer'e taking over" Right. Never seen that one before

ROH booking is pretty bad. The Raven/Punk feud has been booked very well, and I'll give you one guess as to who the credit should go to for that one.

We are talking about the company who had a majorly over, homegrown star in Paul London, yet kept their World Title on Xavier or Samoa Joe?

I'm gonna have to disagree with you over Joe. Xavier, fine, he was a piece of shit, and a placeholder champion for a company who swore they wouldnt have placeholder champions.

Joe on the other hand...well, ROH likes to think of itself as American Puro, and Joe's a stiff bastard, and I like that.

Plus his work with Low-Ki was great.

As for London, thats sorta what I'm talking about. At his farwell show, everyone wanted him to beat Joe, it was in the air. I just think London is that bit bland

Guest OSIcon

I don't see how people still don't see that Xaiver's regin as champion was a good thing.

Granted, when Xavier won the belt, I was surprised and somewhat confused like most people about the decision. Once the regin got going though, it was smart to see the logic behind it. In storyline, Xavier backed his way into a title match (by just cornering Low Ki and asking him for a shot before he won it). Then he cheats to win the title. He did nothing to really earn it storyline wise. Non-storyline wise, the fans felt the same way. Here is a mid carder who has been pretty bland for the most part and he is the ROH Champion?

Storyline wise or booking wise, there was nothing redeeming to most of the fans about having Xavier has the champion. So they booed him, rooted against him, and really hoped that he would lose his matches. That was something that didn't happen in ROH before at all and hasn't happened that much since. ROH managed to make a heel champion that everyone hated in a promotion with all smart fans. That's pretty impressive I think. Not to mention that Xavier actually put on good matches during his reign also. So he had great heat and good matches...that's a good champion to me. Plus managed to help elevate Paul London along the way. That's pretty good.

As for London getting the belt - - there was much more excitement in the chase. He would have won it sometime, we just don't know when. London didn't need the belt though and was actually better off chasing.

ROH Booking isn't without flaws, but is nowhere near terrible. If you look at all the little things they have done and the storyline continuity, you would see that.

As for Wildside drawing 110 fans, that certainly isn't good but isn't the end of the world. A lot of indy feds draw around that and I am fairly sure that is somehwat on the low end for Wildside. I am not a big fan of Wildside (the wrestling does nothing for me and I honeslty don't have a clue where all of this stuff about their great booking comes from), but using the fact that they draw a 110 fans to one show as a reason to show they suck is just stupid.

Guest DonWestMark03

ROH booking is pretty bad. The Raven/Punk feud has been booked very well, and I'll give you one guess as to who the credit should go to for that one.

We are talking about the company who had a majorly over, homegrown star in Paul London, yet kept their World Title on Xavier or Samoa Joe?

So now that I've proved your argument that "bad attendance=bad indy" completely wrong, by your own admission since you just praised IWA, you move onto the booking/angles, 99% of which you haven't seen.

Wow. Just, wow.

I don't check religiously ,but it seems whenever I've read a Wildside report that they don't draw very well for as much hype as they get. It seems like I'm reading anywhere from 40 to 100 people. Or am I thinking of a different promotion?

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Honestly dude, why the heck do you keep picking fights about the same tired subject? You don't like this product (despite having no solid reason) and that's fine, but your personal attacks on me and arrogant, smarmy attitude reek of immaturity, and your asinine, incredibly flawed and poorly researched arguments serve no purpose and will not convince anybody not to like NWA Wildside. Heck, last time I checked this folder was designed to get people to LIKE indy wrestling. I really don't get who exactly it is you're trying to convince and why you're working yourself up so much over this subject. Seriously, just let people form opinions on their own. There's no "sides" here. This thread accomplishes nothing other than infuriating people who DO like the product, and provoking stupid argument after stupid argument.

The purpose of this folder is to enlighten fans about great shows and different promotions, swapping stories about cool live experiences and meeting different wrestlers. It is NOT about ignorant flame posts, which this certainly is.

I've already apologized to everyone else for helping start this stupid thing, and I think it's high time you did too. This is the absolute last time I will dignify you with a response- the choice is yours whether to continue with this or not. I highly suggest you don't.

-Jay Doring

True 'Till Death

thesmartmarks.com

Edited by ShooterJay

I've already apologized to everyone else for helping start this stupid thing, and I think it's high time you did too. This is the absolute last time I will dignify you with a response- the choice is yours whether to continue with this or not. I highly suggest you don't.

First of all, You didnt start anything, Its morons like Lucharesu619 and Examsun with their "No, Rob Black is a saint, who DIDNT have Messiah's thumb cut off, DIDNT want to feed a dog to a snake for a publicity stunt, etc, etc, Rob Black is a hero"

They are a disgrace to Indy Wrestling Fans like you Jay

Onto Wildside Fans, who, lets not forget, one of which wished CANCER on Hat Guy from the ECW Arena.

And I'm the one giving Indy Wrestling a bad name???????

Nice Review of FWA/ROH Frontiers of Honor, btw, Although I hated Styles/Jonny Storm

Onto Wildside Fans, who, lets not forget, one of which wished CANCER on Hat Guy from the ECW Arena.

You're basing your blanket statement on Wildside fans on this one thing that one guy supposedly said?

110 fans is pretty damn good by indy standards. I've worked dozens of indy shows in about seven different promotions over the past two years, and can count on one hand the number of times I've worked in front of a crowd that big.

Guest Askewniverse
Uh, can someone answer my question? What TV station is Wildside on?

It's mostly on local stations.

Wildside's official site has a listing of stations that carry it, but I didn't see anything for Canadian viewers.

EDIT: depending on the satellite, you might be able to get it. From Wildside's site:

URBAN AMERICA TELEVISION (AIN)

(FED SAT/SUN 1:00AM)(ET)

SPACENET GE-3, TRANSPONDER 2

AMERICA ONE NETWORK

(FED SAT 10PM)(ET)

GE AMERICACOM (GE-3)

87 DEGREES WEST LONGITUDE(CH. 24)

Edited by Askewniverse

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

CC, if you really want to see Wildside TV or events, I'm sure Tom can hook you up on the cheap through Melanie (her site addy is in the tape recommendations thread.)

110 fans is pretty damn good by indy standards. I've worked dozens of indy shows in about seven different promotions over the past two years, and can count on one hand the number of times I've worked in front of a crowd that big.

I can't argue that 110 fans for an indy is good.......in my area, only GCW has drawn that or over except with the greatly ocassional show (LAW bringing in a bunch of big names for a show in Poplar Bluff).

I believe the thought is....with all the hype Wildside gets they should be drawing more than 110 people. And like I said earlier,it seems like every match report I read from them has low crowds

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
I believe the thought is....with all the hype Wildside gets they should be drawing more than 110 people.  And like I said earlier,it seems like every match report I read from them has low crowds

A friend of mine put it best this way-

Cornelia, GA is located in a hellhole exit off the interstate highway, not an ideal location-very similar to Ian Rotten's problem with Clarksville. Also like Mid-South, they have to run frequently in order to keep their TV deals, which can burn out the fanbase and not make every show must-see. Think about it this way, if Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE, which has loads of national publicity and a global rep of excellence, decided to run the Bucksnort Tenessee High School gym, how many people do you think would show up? To draw one final comparision to IWA, they have so much attention and pub because A) their tapes are easily accessible and B) the wrestling is top-flight. Unlike Ian Rotten though, Bill Behrens is a very smart financial manager, and knows how to cut costs in certain places to keep the place somewhat in the black.

Guest ChaosTheory
A friend of mine put it best this way-

Cornelia, GA is located in a hellhole exit off the interstate highway, not an ideal location-very similar to Ian Rotten's problem with Clarksville. Also like Mid-South, they have to run frequently in order to keep their TV deals, which can burn out the fanbase and not make every show must-see. Think about it this way, if Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE, which has loads of national publicity and a global rep of excellence, decided to run the Bucksnort Tenessee High School gym, how many people do you think would show up? To draw one final comparision to IWA, they have so much attention and pub because A) their tapes are easily accessible and B) the wrestling is top-flight. Unlike Ian Rotten though, Bill Behrens is a very smart financial manager, and knows how to cut costs in certain places to keep the place somewhat in the black.

Well said.

I actually live about an hour away from Cornelia (it is north of Gainesville, Ga which in turn is north of Atlanta). And yes it is out in the "boonies". I have been to see Wildside a few times live this year and have been very impressed with the shows they have put on. I went to both nights of "Hardcore Hell" (night one was outstanding-and night two was ok), I went to "Freedom Fight 2003-War Games" which was a great show and have also attended a TV taping

or two. Everytime I have gone- I have not been disappointed. Wildside has some great underrated talent like Salvatore Rinauro, Jeremy V, Todd Sexton & Jimmy Rave among others. The product they produce is solid- one of the reasons I don't think they draw well is it simply isn't advertised. Like I said earlier I live about an hour away from Cornelia-and the only way I heard about the shows was thru the internet. I am a huge wrestling fan and will give almost anything a chance- but Wildside needs to get the word out.

BTW- I have taken several "casual/WWE" fans to the shows and they have all had great times.

I believe the thought is....with all the hype Wildside gets they should be drawing more than 110 people. And like I said earlier,it seems like every match report I read from them has low crowds

Oh..My...God....someone actually understands what I'm saying

If Wildside are "the No.1 pro-wrestling alternative" that they contilluing bullshit that they are (and there not...ROH is -> that way) then they oughta be getting more than 110 people in the building.

Two ways I can see them getting a bigger house.

1. Stop booking fat untalented morons like Iceberg and Bull Buchanan

2. Stop running in places like "Cornelia, GA"...where the fuck is that in the first place.

Follow ROH'S example, and run in plas where wrestling fans exist, like Dayton

Guest DonWestMark03

You know, it becomes more and more obvious that a) you know jack shit about indy wrestling and b) you only read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear.

Jay gave a perfectly polite and coherent explanation for it ONE POST AGO, and you ignored it and made ANOTHER moronic flame post.

Seriously, it's like talking to a really dumb brick wall.

You know, it becomes more and more obvious that a) you know jack shit about indy wrestling and b) you only read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear.

A- Well, I've already admitted i know jackshit about indy wrestling, except ROH, and I'm slowing getting into CZW.

B- As I've said, and will say until the cows come home, I'm a journalist, and inherently, journalists read something, like a press release (like what I'm supposed to be doing at the moment), or a police report, or a different story, or a transcript of an interview, and re-write into something suitable.

I'm "reading what I want to read" because some people have been able to get past my own faults.

Jay gave a reasonably polite reply...eh...hello, i'd hardly consider "this is the last time i dignify you with a response" as poilte.

And he's moved on to calling me names in NHB.

And for the record, I'm a dead intelligent brick wall

Yeah I know, but then you and Banky started calling me names, and saying I'd never get in with the PCN, or something like that.

Besides, people have been calling me names since i was six, so it just washes over me

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Okay fine, last rational plea:

Stop being immature, please. This argument does nothing but get people mad. Stop it. Or next flame post I report to the mods. At the rate this is going, you'll get banned, and I'm sure you don't want that.

Oh Christ, Phoenix Fury is around, I'll never get peace

Anyway, I'll make one final Mature Post, and then I hope certain people can get on with their lives.

First Of all, go read this thread-

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...jason+mccartney

In it, I make a point that I dont like crap being forced down my throat.

I come to this thread because I'm a fan of wrestling that isn't WWE. Through this board, I've found it, and its called ROH. Unfortuneately, this board is also populated by certain people who post pointless transcripts of a bush league manager's inane ramblings.

Although, in fairness, he probably posted them to make sure that more than 110 people saw it.

From what I've seen of Wildside, I dont like it. Bush league production, spotmonkey wrestling and two twits announcing, etc, etc..

Yes, when i made my inital point "Wildside sucks", I probably should have backed it up, but what came later sort of proved my later points - why should i exert any effort into following a promotion who's biggest fan tells my that Hat Guy can die of cancer.

Anyways, I'll leave Wildside alone from now on, but certain people need to realise that some of us expect certain things when we sit down to watch indy wrestling, and I just dont see them in Wildside, and you need to deal with that.

And lighten up, its only wrestling

-Dave O'Neill

Guest DonWestMark03

-Dave O'Neill

That's a big laugh coming from a guy who wrote a fake letter to Jim Cornette, spent a ton of time and effort continuing lengthy pointless arguments and went out of his way to attack a bunch of people on the board, who didn't force anything down his throat. No idea where that came from.

But whatever, moving on...I'm just glad this shit is done with.

-Dave O'Neill

That's a big laugh coming from a guy who wrote a fake letter to Jim Cornette, spent a ton of time and effort continuing lengthy pointless arguments and went out of his way to attack a bunch of people on the board, who didn't force anything down his throat. No idea where that came from.

But whatever, moving on...I'm just glad this shit is done with.

It was to Court Bauer, and I've since backed up over MLW (even though theyre gonna get killed doing the six-sided ring AND the Matrats gimmick platform thingy.

And I didnt really attack people, I said some things i probably shouldnt have, and they attacked me, rightfully or not, and I fought back