TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brush with Greatness

If Nintendo re-released the NES

Would you purchase a re-released NES?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a re-released NES?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I have an NES.  I was pissed that my battery backup copies of Zelda games are all dead.

Good thing Nintendo is putting them on a new bonus disc for the gamecube!

Wrong games. The Zelda GC bonus disc had the first N64 Zelda game plus the never released in the US remix version of said N64 game, which used content that was supposed to be on the N64 disc drive version of the game...

From Planet Gamecube:

According to Game Informer Online, Nintendo of America will release a second Legend of Zelda bonus disc this holiday season. It will be included with the purchase of a new GameCube system and may also be available through other offers.

The tentative contents include ports of The Legend of Zelda (NES), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64). It is currently unknown whether the Master Quest of Ocarina of Time will be included again, or whether any of the other games will be enhanced as was Ocarina on the first bonus disc. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is presumably not being offered on the disc because it is available on Game Boy Advance.

PGC can confirm that this disc will not include the GameCube version of Four Swords; it is still unclear how that game will be released, whether by itself or as part of a similar compilation disc.

Yeah but there were enough really good NES games to remember it fondly. Don't make us bust out the 100 best NES games thread where we listed off 100 and still got complaints about games being left off!

I wish I still had my NES....it sucks...I sold it a long time ago. And I love the NES system and all the games. I still play them at a friend, who has the NES's, house to this day. It's not just nostalgia...the games were really that good.

I grew up in the NES era, and had some fun memories, but it is time to move on. It doesn't hold up today at all.

The SNES on the other hand...

I still have both systems and they both work, so I wouldn't buy it anyways.

I have a working NES along with a busted one and a SNES. They gather dust at the moment even since I found an emulator, but I do bust out the NES for some old-school Punch-Out every so often.

Converting an NES into a computer sounds intriguing. If I can find instructions on how that's possible, I'd be all over it...except I don't have the cash for such a project at the moment.

I have a working NES along with a busted one and a SNES. They gather dust at the moment even since I found an emulator, but I do bust out the NES for some old-school Punch-Out every so often.

Intending on hanging onto the SNES? I was thinking of getting another since the cartridge slot on mine is looser than Torrie Wilson's cootch--I have a bitch of a time getting it started up since I have to stuff an envelope in the slot to keep the cartridges straight.

I have the original NES and a perfectly functioning updated version (the aforementioned rare one from the first post).

Are you talking about the Top Loading version they came out with towards the end of the NES' life? That version was awesome because the NES never should have been front loading in the first place. The chips don't sit right when it's front loading. The games actually worked a whole lot better on the top loading version.

Guest EQ
I have an NES.  I was pissed that my battery backup copies of Zelda games are all dead.

Good thing Nintendo is putting them on a new bonus disc for the gamecube!

Wrong games. The Zelda GC bonus disc had the first N64 Zelda game plus the never released in the US remix version of said N64 game, which used content that was supposed to be on the N64 disc drive version of the game...

From Planet Gamecube:

According to Game Informer Online, Nintendo of America will release a second Legend of Zelda bonus disc this holiday season. It will be included with the purchase of a new GameCube system and may also be available through other offers.

The tentative contents include ports of The Legend of Zelda (NES), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64). It is currently unknown whether the Master Quest of Ocarina of Time will be included again, or whether any of the other games will be enhanced as was Ocarina on the first bonus disc. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is presumably not being offered on the disc because it is available on Game Boy Advance.

PGC can confirm that this disc will not include the GameCube version of Four Swords; it is still unclear how that game will be released, whether by itself or as part of a similar compilation disc.

Holy shit, that is so awesome!

As for the topic of the thread, yes... I would buy a top-loading NES if Nintendo re-released it. If nothing else, just to have it. As long as it wasn't too much money. I think any more than 40-50 dollars would be way out of the question.

I contend, that to this day, RBI Baseball is the single greatest two player baseball game ever. Sure Baseball Stars and Little League were great, and Dusty Diamonds was always fun but RBI was the king.

I loved the BoSox in that game. The funny thing is that I'm almost better with Bruce Hurst than Roger Clemens. I have a tendency to pitch for a lot of K's with Clemens, forcing me to go to the Sox brutal bullpen (assuming you can only use one starter). However, with Hurst I can usually going the distance, just throwing those tight inside pitches that force the hitter to swing and handcuff him.

I'm an RBI junkie.

I saw in a copy of Entertainment Weekly about a month ago that some company released a PS2 controller that looks exactly like an old NES controller (with a few more buttons obviously). I still haven't found any stores that carry it, though.

Guest Razor Roman
I saw in a copy of Entertainment Weekly about a month ago that some company released a PS2 controller that looks exactly like an old NES controller (with a few more buttons obviously). I still haven't found any stores that carry it, though.

RetroCON

Due out this month!

I'm buying it, with the PS2 - Gamecube adapter!

If they can make it where you don't have to blow in the games to make them work, then hell yes. Emulation is just as good though. As long as you buy some controllers.

Edited by chaosrage

So I don't have the sentimental attachment to NES others do...to me the games mostly have bad graphics and are too hard/expect you to play straight through without saves to actually complete it.

I grew up in the NES era and still don't have sentimental attachment to it. The games just sucked.

As compared to what? At the time they were awesome. Some NES games are still harder to beat than today's games. They actually were challenging instead of all flash.

Nothing beats Mike Tyson's Punchout! Still one of the most fun games ever!

Law of averages. There were some brillinat gmaes for the NES, but out of what I think ended up being like 800 titles, there were a lot of really bad ones. A lot of the games that were really were so because of cheap/mandatory hits, brutal block-jump sequences or just plain bad control. Dying because the camera went off in some bizarre, random direction is the modern equivalent of your character not responding when you press jump and falling off a platform as a result.

I'd definitely buy the NES if it was something reasonable like fifty bucks, because mine pooched out a long time ago - because the fifty or so games that are really good make the system worthwhile, and those that aren't actively bad but at least playable provide some variety. But thinking back to the wall of NES games at the video store when I was a kid, I played most of them (and I've recently re-played emulated versions of them), and I stand by my own conclusion from then - some of these games are awesome, but a lot of them suck.

You can say that for any system. That only hurts the people that buy games based on the back of the box and don't pay attention to reviews or anything.

NES was the best time for gaming. Great games were coming out month after month, sometimes right on top of each other, with no end in sight for years. All the great companies working together on one system, with gameplay being focused on over everything else. Nes fucking owned.

Guest TheArchiteck

Damn, you think $50 is reasonable for a NES?

Maybe if it came with a shitload of titles.

PS-Shitload=100

Nope,

I never got into NES. I was more of a Sega Master System fan.

My brother-in-law was the same way. Technology-wise, the Master System is more powerful. Plus the Game Gear was basically a portable version (you can even play Game Gear games on a MS with the right accessory).

I played a few games on it. For an 8-bit title, Psycho Fox is pretty damn good. Plus there's Double Dragon and...uh...there's this really good shooting game--damn, it's been a while.

However, a pause button on the console itself was a bad idea.

It would have done a lot better if Nintendo didn't have the exclusive agreement with 3rd party publishers.