TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

SmartMarks Fantasy Hockey?

Leafs, I'm not making a deal in which I'm sending you TWO players that'll preform on a nightly basis (which includes one that seemingly is hot right now), and just get back a moderate player and a goalie who's basically been told that he's getting shafted.

Sorry.

Well, I had a horrible week. Dropped from 2nd down to 5th as I had a bunch of players who only scored 0 or 1 points all week. Oh well, at least the Penguins FINALLY put Mario on IR after 2 weeks of not playing, so I can fill his roster spot now. I didn't want to drop him to make room for someone, since he is Mario Lemieux and I want to hold onto him. Oh, and Fleury didn't start any games for Pittsburgh after I added him to my team, either. Just a bad week all around.

I had a horrible week as well. Lost 4 of 10 and tied 2. However, I managed to only drop from 5th to 6th. So that's a bonus. Also, I picked up Raffi Torres, so I'll get a bunch of points from him every so often. That was a smart pick up.

Hm.. No one's really ever going to trade in this league. Too much talent and too often a diamond in the rough just out there waiting for someone.

Yeah, that's the thing with hockey. Guys completely off the radar like Fata can score respectable points, and no one will notice. Then when you try to trade that guy for a known underachiever, people refuse because they have at least heard of the underachiever. Not good.

So, Kariya finally comes back, then injures his wrist again. Bah. Can we have two guys on IR?

Yeah, that's the thing with hockey. Guys completely off the radar like Fata can score respectable points, and no one will notice. Then when you try to trade that guy for a known underachiever, people refuse because they have at least heard of the underachiever. Not good.

So, Kariya finally comes back, then injures his wrist again. Bah. Can we have two guys on IR?

I noticed. I have Rico Fata.

But seriously, it's quite interesting to see how even with the most skilled players stacked on one team, it doesn't necessarily mean success in the hockey leagues.

Edit: Don't know about the IR. I didn't even know we had one till I dropped one of my own two injuried guys.

There are guys who are guaranteed to put up good numbers. People like Todd Bertuzzi will score consistently as well as putting up good PP and PIM numbers. IMHO, those guys are the stud RBs of Fantasy Hockey. Anyone who gets PP time is also useful, for obvious reasons.

You don't need a ton of great players to win this league. It definately makes the field more wide-open then the FF league we have.

Yeah, if they fucking PLAY. My 3 goalies started a grand total of 3 games, and Fleury didn't start 1 game after I picked him up. I had a good GAA, but I think I only ended up with 1 win (if that).

I think that's what's making this interesting. With 3 goaltenders, people with 3 good starters, you've got a great because you can basically OWN that area.

But for next year, I think we should do something along the lines of two centers, two left wings, two right wings, four defensemen, and 5 benchers just to add more something different. Goaltending should remain the same.

Yeah, if they fucking PLAY. My 3 goalies started a grand total of 3 games, and Fleury didn't start 1 game after I picked him up. I had a good GAA, but I think I only ended up with 1 win (if that).

Tough luck Canuck.

I think that's what's making this interesting. With 3 goaltenders, people with 3 good starters, you've got a great because you can basically OWN that area.

Yeah, I did well in the goaltending area for a few weeks there, but then Theodore stopped getting shutout every other game, and since Montreal has a horrible offense, if he gives up 3 goals, they're going to have trouble winning. Also, once Hasek came back I decided to drop Joseph and pick up Fleury, since I figured he'd be playing a lot more. I know he won't win much, but he does face a ton of shots, so that should help boost me up in the saves section (assuming he plays again).

Yeah, I did well in the goaltending area for a few weeks there, but then Theodore stopped getting shutout every other game, and since Montreal has a horrible offense, if he gives up 3 goals, they're going to have trouble winning. Also, once Hasek came back I decided to drop Joseph and pick up Fleury, since I figured he'd be playing a lot more. I know he won't win much, but he does face a ton of shots, so that should help boost me up in the saves section (assuming he plays again).

Sadly, the Pens will use him for 60 games.

I say sadly, because they are going to burn that guy. If there was a good team in front of this guy, I'd say he'd probably have won more games and have better stats.

Still, I wouldn't even have him on the block, as he just got back and might center the Thrashers line with Kovalchuk.

:huh: ...sigh... Not even entertain offers?

Geezus, nothings fun anymore.

Ok, he's off. Could I at least get offers for the other guys then?

Even though I lost this week, I moved back up to 3rd place, so I guess it was a decent week over-all. I keep falling further back of 1st, though, which I don't like too much.

Yeah, I think I've done a lot of tinkering with my lineup over the past week or so, but I think I'm going to stick with who I've got now for the next little while, at least (barring any injuries or anything like that).

You know, I'm kinda happy I picked up McEcherwn (yes, I butchered it, sue me), cause with him, Ilya and Savard, I've pretty much got the best possible chance of wracking up points big time now.

Well, I had a good week, and that coupled with Old Age's losing brought me to within 11 points of 1st. Plus, I'm playing him this week, so I just hope my players that are going well (Iginla, Briere, Nieuwendyk, McCabe) stay reasonably hot so I can close the gap even more, if not pass him completely.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I let Sopel go right before he got hot, now I'm having trouble getting a 4th defenceman who can rack up points.