TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Ten years ago today

Sakura, that is the biggest damn MK collection that I've ever seen. Your MK II collection alone is larger than the amount of PS2 games that I have.

I can top that, easily...

Her entire MK collection is bigger than my entire video game library.

...I miss Comix Zone more than I do MK or any other Genesis game...

I remember when I bought that game, I thought it was as cool as hell when it came with a free CD...I still have it somewhere.

The CD I got was the American Records 1995 Sampler, featuring Love & Rockets, Lordz of Brooklyn, and God Lives Underwater. Is that the one that came with your copy of Comix Zone?

Guest MD2020
A B A C A B B

For anyone still playing MK for Nintendo, I believe that is the blood code. Sad that I remember that and yet probably don't even remember how to divide at this point.

That code is for the Genesis version, not SNES.

Sakura, that is the biggest damn MK collection that I've ever seen. Your MK II collection alone is larger than the amount of PS2 games that I have.

If I recall correctly, you had to enter the code when the screen had all this language of how imporant codes (like code of honor, code of justice, etc.) were in society.

Even though the SNES version had better graphics, Sega sold tons of Genisis systems because people wanted the blood.

Nowadays, people wouldn't even bat an eye at the violence in the game. My how we've changed in ten years.

Whoa...has it really been ten years? I remember my brother and I scraping together every dime that we had to make the trip to Wal-Mart after school that day to pick up the SNES version of that game.

We were kinda disappointed (didn't know about the no-blood thing before we bought it, for one) with it...especially after we beat the whole game with five different characters within that first night of playing it. Still, the memories of me destroying my friends and pissing them all off are great.

Guest Sakura
If I recall correctly, you had to enter the code when the screen had all this language of how imporant codes (like code of honor, code of justice, etc.) were in society.

Yeah, that's right. It defines a code of ethics, a code of honor, and a secret code.

"Mortal Kombat adheres to many codes but does it contain one?"

If you enter it right the letters turn red and Scorpion says "Get Over Here". Classic.

Though you can also turn on blood on or off in the DULLARD cheat menu.

Little bit of pointless trivia: In arcade MK and MK II Scorpion says both "Get over here" and "come here". On Genesis MK1 he has the "Get over here" while the SNES port used the "come here" line. In MK II they switched it, with Genesis getting "come here" and SNES getting "Get over here".

Yeah, that's right. It defines a code of ethics, a code of honor, and a secret code.

"Mortal Kombat adheres to many codes but does it contain one?"

If you enter it right the letters turn red and Scorpion says "Get Over Here". Classic.

Though you can also turn on blood on or off in the DULLARD cheat menu.

Little bit of pointless trivia: In arcade MK and MK II Scorpion says both "Get over here" and "come here". On Genesis MK1 he has the "Get over here" while the SNES port used the "come here" line. In MK II they switched it, with Genesis getting "come here" and SNES getting "Get over here".

but why did they change his lines :huh:

Guest Askewniverse

That's not necessarily topping me, since my PS2 game collection is my entire video game library. I probably have one of the smallest video game libraries on this board.

Just out of curiousity, Sakura, how can you afford to buy all of those games and arcade cabinets?

Guest Sakura
Just out of curiousity, Sakura, how can you afford to buy all of those games and arcade cabinets

I'm a princess!

Just out of curiousity, Sakura, how can you afford to buy all of those games and arcade cabinets

I'm a princess!

As in, "here you go princess...?"

*daddy hands her a wad of $100s.*

Not saying you do, that's just how it comes off to me.

As in, "here you go princess...?"

*daddy hands her a wad of $100s.

Yes.

Hm...I see now.

I'd ask if you were single but I probably burned my bridges long ago. :P

Carry on, then!

Guest Sakura

I am playing MK II for Saturn now. What a weaksauce port. Who has ever heard of load time in the middle of fights? Bunch of krap. How did a CD based system manage to have such awful sound too? Even 32X MK II has better sound than this. At least Saturn has the best ports of UMK3 and MKT.

MK II is such an overhyped game. I can't believe I am saying that, but it's true. Mostly in the secrets area. To this day people put over how "mysterious" it was. What's weird is, a lot of it's hype is fan made. I mean the actual game had like nothing that was really well hidden. There are no uber secrets in MK II. There really isn't much mystery. It was the fans BSing and rumor spreading that created all that mystique.

Why am I talking about MK II?

That's not necessarily topping me, since my PS2 game collection is my entire video game library. I probably have one of the smallest video game libraries on this board.

Yeah, well, my video game library has gotten a bit larger as of late as I've purchased some more stuff, and I had no clue your PS2 library is your entire video game library.

I am playing MK II for Saturn now. What a weaksauce port. Who has ever heard of load time in the middle of fights?

Are we talking Shang's morphs? That's been going on since Sega CD. Or we mean between rounds?

Bunch of krap. How did a CD based system manage to have such awful sound too? Even 32X MK II has better sound than this. At least Saturn has the best ports of UMK3 and MKT.

Both far too late to do it any good commercially, though. Even so, they were almost impossible to find. Hey, it at least delivered graphically. Although there's no real excuse for not having a nearly perfect port.

MK II is such an overhyped game. I can't believe I am saying that, but it's true.

MK overhyped? NOOOOO!!

Mostly in the secrets area. To this day people put over how "mysterious" it was. What's weird is, a lot of it's hype is fan made. I mean the actual game had like nothing that was really well hidden. There are no uber secrets in MK II. There really isn't much mystery. It was the fans BSing and rumor spreading that created all that mystique.

Who cares? It's the gameplay, the souped up graphics, the stage fatalities, multiple fatalities, "Toasty," etc. that make the game special.

MKII had more secrets than the original. The original let you right Reptile and...that's about it. Unless you count the home version codes.

MKII had three similar characters, which still isn't a big deal to me, and the arcade version had Pong. Big whoop. You said yourself a lot of the hype was fan-produced. It's not even as if it was Midway's fault.

However, secrets don't make the game, so I don't see why it matters. It took until the third game for them to get that secret characters are only a big deal if they're playable.

Why am I talking about MK II?

To no-sell my post and get somewhat back on topic? :P

Guest Sakura
Are we talking Shang's morphs? That's been going on since Sega CD. Or we mean between rounds?

We're talking load time in the middle of the round the first time you do a special move. Granted it's a split second, feels more like lag than load time, but it is ridiculous. I have never seen such an asinine way to load up moves in a fighting game. Whoever at Acclaim thought it would be a good idea should be taken out and beaten with sticks.

Who cares?  It's the gameplay, the souped up graphics, the stage fatalities, multiple fatalities, "Toasty," etc. that make the game special.

A lot of people. MANY people in the MK community have all this nostalgia about how much stuff was hidden in MK II. It's annoying to see people say MKDA doesn't have enough and then put over how mysterious II was.

MK3 has better gameplay, graphics, stage fatalities and multiple fatalities than II. It has "Toasty" AND "Frosty" too.

However, secrets don't make the game, so I don't see why it matters.  It took until the third game for them to get that secret characters are only a big deal if they're playable.

I know. I am not saying secrets = awesome. MKT is my favorite game in the series and the best versions have very little hidden. I am just ranting on something that bugs me, the overhype for MK II.

The worst is how many people adore Noob Saibot. You would not believe how popular this shitty, lazily developed character is. I would say Noob is in the top 5 most popular characters in the community. It makes me sick. I don't get it at all. It's an all black ninja palatte swap with a movelist made out of recycled animation. Big deal. He isn't even really "mysterious" and "intruging", he is just rushed and halfassed. MKT and the 16 bit UMK3s are the only games were he is a real character, with his own moves, a bio and an ending....and he is so rushed and poorly developed he is extremely overpowered. How obnoxious. He is always used too. Up until DA Noob was a hidden character in EVERY game. Isn't that a little overkill? It's like Akuma constantly being a hidden boss in SF. I hate Noob. Stryker owns him(though Stryker owns almost everyone).

To no-sell my post and get somewhat back on topic?

Yeah, you're right.

Okay, it's been I while since I had that version of MKII, so I'll take your word for it.

A lot of people. MANY people in the MK community have all this nostalgia about how much stuff was hidden in MK II. It's annoying to see people say MKDA doesn't have enough and then put over how mysterious II was.

MK3 has better gameplay, graphics, stage fatalities and multiple fatalities than II. It has "Toasty" AND "Frosty" too.

I disagree about the gameplay--dial-a-combos and the Run button were lousy additions that killed the gameplay.

Graphics? Not really. The rendered backgrounds were lame I thought, and the characters were smaller and less detailed.

Stage fatalities...how were they better? They're virtually the same except for the Pit III's shower of bones instead of a camera follow through of the big splat. 60% or more of the MK3 fatalies are the old "shower of bones" so that sucks too.

I can accept almost any of the arguments as personal preference, but you can not seriously tell me the MK3 finishers are better. In no way, shape, or form are they better unless you prefer them watered-down and cartoony.

The fatalities as a whole in MK3 suck. Lazily done. When Kung Lao cuts a guy in half in MKII, you see the innards and bones. When you get decapped, the body drops to its knees and flops onto the floor. They're well done and look cool.

In MK3, you'll see people cut in half with a gooey candy center, and then their hands will be dangling at their sides suspended by NOTHING! Lazy, wussy job.

MKT may be even worse--the PS and N64 versions anyway. Crashed constantly, full of bugs, still using the lame MK3 engine, some of the added fatalities were terrible, the Aggressor bar and Brutalities are pathetic ripoffs from better games...

Brutalities (aka Ultra Combos) are almost worse than Animalities. Beat the hell out of some one until he/she explodes into....

A SHOWER OF BONES!! YES!! I was SO not sick of seeing a finishing move like that! There's enough bones for about a dozen people, but eh...

By "Toasty" I meant the finishing move, not the voice sample.

I'll agree though that DA had way more secrets than MKII. The Namco games kinda spoil people on secrets, though, so people begin to expect too much in other companies' games.

About Noob: Yes, but when an entire game is shitty and lazily developed (MKT) then of course some of the new characters will be.

Rain and Noob seemed to be slapped together in 15 minutes each with the palette swapping program. After all, they used existing animations for all their moves and are horribly overpowered.

Edited by AndrewTS

Guest Sakura

Chain combos and running make the gameplay faster, which is good. MK II is too slow. MK3 has better juggling than II too.

Pit II is awesome but Deadpool and Kombat Tomb are really lame. Subway is not great, but is at least interesting. Shao Kahn Tower(AKA Belltower) is hilarious and interesting. Pit III is pretty good. So overall 3's own II's.

I prefer Fatalities to be interesting and unique. I have seen them all a million times and MK1 is the only game to actually be intense and deathly serious about it, so the violence level means little to me.

60% of MK3 Fatalities are not exploding. Only like 9 are, which is just 2 or 3 less than MK II(which has less characters...). Plus many of them use the bones but are not just blow you up, but actually interesting, like Cyrax's helicopter. Besides the bones the other styles of death(like electacution, burning, split in parts, skin removal) are only used by one or two people. MK II has it's share of cut & paste weaksauce fatalities too. For every Baraka blade lift there's a Raiden uppercuts you and you explode.

And I would say Scorpion's Toasty in UMK3 is better than the MK II one. Or they're tied. I don't care for either. But I like how they freak out before he does it and the burning animation is cool looking in 3.

I'll give MK II credit for one thing though: The Fatality logo. It RULES. The best part is the moaning sound when it is annouced, that is only on a few versions of it.

At times I would have to say MK4 actually has the best Fatalities overall. The Prison stage Fatality is incredible. Also has classics like Quan Chi's leg beat down and some really good remakes like the spine rip and the Toasty.

MKII goes overboard with the decapitations, but overall almost everyone has interesting and unique fatalities in it. MK3's always struck me as dull and unmemorable, and they did a lazy job of rendering the results.

It seems stage fatalities in 3 barely get by via quantity. Personally, I love the Dead Pool one, and the Kombat Tomb lets the body slide off the spikes and splat on the floor--very cool. I don't care for the Bell Tower since the lameness of the ending ruin it for me.

I do agree about MK1...however, UMK3/Trilogy, in their half-ass way, completely neutered Classic Sub-Zero's fatality.

Yeah, Quan Chi's leg beatdown is classic--my cousins and I suggested that's the way Jax's arm-rip fatality should have been done.

Guest Sakura

The Fatalities for the characters introduced in UMK3 and MKT are bad. Really bad. Rain's uppercut possibly being the worst Fatality ever until I saw Quan Chi's neck stretch in MKDA. The funniest has got to be Cage in the CD versions of MKT. He does a backbreaker and then they...explode. WTF? I bet Jax is pissed his backbreaker never makes the opponent blow up. Speaking of Jax, his giant stomp in MK3 is "classic". What nonsense. Why does Jax grow big? It's not funny and it doesn't make sense. Just horrible. Gives Rain's upsidedown uppercut a run for it's money. I like his metal arms one though.

It's funny how lazy the MK team can be. Weapon Fatalities ended up just being Brutalities with swords and no blowing up.

Guest Askewniverse

Yeah, well, my video game library has gotten a bit larger as of late as I've purchased some more stuff, and I had no clue your PS2 library is your entire video game library.

Shit...I just realized that I may have sounded like an ass in that post. It was supposed to be in good nature. I guess that I should have added this :P.

The Fatalities for the characters introduced in UMK3 and MKT are bad. Really bad.

I'll agree with that. For example, take Liu Kang's fatalities. Disappearing and then setting the opponent on fire? Lame. The arcade drop was pretty lame as well.

Edited by Askewniverse

Hehe, I mostly agree with all that.

However, it doesn't make any sense for weapon fatalities to make anyone explode anyway.

At least when a bomb is dropped down some one's throat exploding made sense.

By the way, does anyone else think those screenshots of Scorpion's new fatality in MKT were a shameless attempt to make people think that there were going to be more major revamping on the fatalities?

Remember, the giant hand grabs the opponent and yanks them down to hell? Not particulary gory, but very cool looking.

The Fatalities for the characters introduced in UMK3 and MKT are bad. Really bad. 

I'll agree with that. For example, take Liu Kang's fatalities. Disappearing and then setting the opponent on fire? Lame. The arcade drop was pretty lame as well.

No, Kang was in back in the original MK3--as I said, most of the MK3 fatalities suck.

Guest Askewniverse
Weapon Fatalities ended up just being Brutalities with swords and no blowing up.

I haven't played MK4 or MK:DA, but that sounds really fuckin' stupid. Shouldn't weapon fatalities, especially ones with swords or other sharp objects result in the opponent being sliced and diced?

Guest Sakura
By the way, does anyone else think those screenshots of Scorpion's new fatality in MKT were a shameless attempt to make people think that there were going to be more major revamping on the fatalities?

Not really. At the time I knew there wasn't going to be many new Fatalities.

One thing I remember is Human Smoke doing the multiple Scorpion Fatality(with a bunch of Smokes) in pics, which turned out to not be in the actual MKT game. I also remember the selection screen would change CONSTANTLY before finally becoming the one that was used in the final version.

I wish I could find pics of those and the evolution of the MK4 selection screen. Just to look at for nostaligia.

For the record, Weapon Fatalities are only in MKTE, a GBA exclusive upgrade to DA. Thought I'd mention that before someone says "wait, there's Weapon Fatalities?".

I could post my entire fighting game collection, if anyone wants to see. I have it saved on my PC. I have over 110.

Guest Askewniverse

No, Kang was in back in the original MK3--as I said, most of the MK3 fatalities suck.

I'm kinda confused, Andrew. What exactly do you mean when you say "No, Kang was in back in the original MK3."

I could post my entire fighting game collection, if anyone wants to see. I have it saved on my PC. I have over 110.

Damn...even if you counted all of the games that I've ever owned, it wouldn't be anywhere near the amount of fighting games that you have. Your room must look like a GameStop. So, exactly how big is your game collectiond? I'm guessing over 200 games, easily.

Guest Sakura

I am not sure. Besides fighting games, it isn't as big as it used to be since I have sold off a lot of 16 bit and 32 bit era games I once owned.

I have SNES, N64, Genesis/32X, DC, Saturn, PSX, two PS2s, GC and Xbox all hooked up in one room though.

Guest Askewniverse
I have SNES, N64, Genesis/32X, DC, Saturn, PSX, two PS2s, GC and Xbox all hooked up in one room though.

Damn, now I'm really impressed. That's a lot of game systems for one household.

Seeing your list of systems has reminded me how much I regret trading in my Dreamcast.

Edited by Askewniverse