TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

It has to be legal

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Ottawa-approved pot sub-par, patients say

CTV.ca News Staff

Ottawa doesn't know how to grow marijuana. That's the verdict from some of the first patients to smoke Health Canada's government-approved pot.

Three of the 10 people already approved to use government marijuana for medical purposes say the drug is no good -- and they want their money back.

Jim Wakeford, 58, is an AIDS patient in Gibsons, B.C. He told The Canadian Press the pot he got from Ottawa was well-below grade.

"It's totally unsuitable for human consumption," Wakeford said, calling the government cannabis "shwag."

"It gave me a slight buzziness for about three to five minutes, and that was it. I got no other effect from it."

52-year-old Barrie Dalley -- who uses marijuana to combat the nausea associated with AIDS -- said his experience with the Health Canada dope actually made him sick to his stomach.

Both Dalley and Wakeford are returning their 30-gram bags. And Dalley is demanding his money back -- $150 plus taxes.

A third AIDS patient, Jari Dvorak, 62, says he's also unhappy with the product.

"I'm still smoking it - I would prefer better, but it's all I've got," Dvorak said.

The three are among a total of 10 patients who have registered with Health Canada to get marijuana directly from the government. Another 39 applications are pending.

The marijuana is being grown on behalf of Health Canada in a vacant mine buried deep under Flin Flon, Manitoba.

Prairie Plant Systems won a $5.75-million contract to grow marijuana Ottawa had intended to be studied to demonstrate whether or not cannabis is medically effective.

But the department was compelled to begin distributing the pot to patients in July, after an Ontario order said patients should not be forced to buy the drug on the streets or from authorized growers forced to obtain seeds illegally.

On Monday, Canadians for Safe Access -- a patients' rights group that is pressing for supplies of safe, effective marijuana -- issued its own criticism of the government pot.

"This particular product wouldn't hold a candle to street level cannabis," spokesperson Philippe Lucas said in an interview.

His group conducted laboratory tests that indicated the Health Canada product has only about three per cent THC -- far short of the 10.2 per cent advertised.

In response, a spokesperson for Health Canada said the department can't accept laboratory findings from anonymous facilities.

"We question the validity of the test results because Canadians for Safe Access has been unwilling to reveal who did the testing, and when the testing was done, and under what conditions," Krista Apse said. She added that the approved cannabis was only released after it was submitted to rigorous quality tests.

But Dalley contends the proof was in the pudding -- it was the pot's poor potency that made him so sick he threw up.

"It made me nauseous because I had to use so much of it," Dalley said. "It was so weak in potency that I really threw up."

No patients have complained directly to Health Canada so far, Apse said, and the department will not accept returns or provide refunds.

With a report from The Canadian Press

Paging Hightimes...we need your advice.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I think I've found a political office I'm intereseted in running for.

CWM: GOvernment pot tester.

Really though, how hard can it be to grow quality weed?

Remember. It's CANADIANS doing this.

We kinda wanna make sure we fuck up good first, and then when we get through the process of finding out what works, we'll give out a good quality product. In a considerable amount of time.

The Canadian health folks needs to ask the American college kids getting busted crossing the border where the good weed is.

Why? Apparently all you have to do is call some high school kid in a town called St. Albert, Alberta and they'd know.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I should send them my resume. They don't even have to pay me if I can take my work home with me.