TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Things You Need on Your PC

I'm still getting error messages about system32.exe and rmsys.exe (I think that's what it said) not working when I start windows.

Everything seems to be running smoothly, but I still get those errors.

Guest El Satanico

I installed Zone Alarm and my Internet loading speed has slowed down some.

Is this normal?

Guest El Satanico
Shouldn't be too much of a difference. It will slow a bit of course but nothing too horrible. How long we talking extra for a site to load?

The speed improved after running ad aware, spy bot, a norton virus sweep and a computer restart.

It may have just needed a system flush and a restart to run right. It seems to be fine now, with maybe a few seconds added to load times.

Microsoft only allows Microsoft products to check Hotmail unfortunately as Outlook Express doesn't actually "download" it onto your computer.

Multiple browser windows in one browser. I have 3 different sites open right now in Mozilla (TSM, ESPN and TivoCommunity) and I have tabs for each at the top instead of a crap load of IE windows at the bottom of the page.

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

Add this one to Pop Up Stoppers:

Shoot The Messneger

A small (only 22Kb, takes five seconds to download on a slow connection) and simple to use program that will stop Windows Messenger Service spam (gray boxes that appear in the middle of the screen.)

Media Player Classic: Media Player that emulates the look and feel of Media Player 6 and is just as fast if not faster while still flexible with today's stuff.

Real Alternative: Everyone knows that RealOne/RealPlayer is a crappy buggy-ass product. This is a plugin setup for Media Player Classic which lets it play Real files.

Quicktime Alternative: Is to MOV what Real Alternative is for RAM. No more unnecessary crap or annoying QuickTime Pro messages. Also works with QT movies embedded into web pages and so on.

Very useful:

PicoZip Recovery Tool

PicoZip Recovery Tool is an easy-to-use program that can help you recover lost or forgotten passwords from password protected Zip files created by compression utilities like PicoZip, WinZip, PKZip, etc.

IE-SPYAD

Short answer: It prevents most crapware from installing on your computer.

Long answer: IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once this list of sites and domains is "merged" into your Registry, most marketers, advertisers, and crapware pushers on the Net will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX controls, Java applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC while you surf the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push unwanted pop-ups, cookies, or auto-installing programs on your computer.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

I just installed ZA. When a connection's trying to be made, what's the best option--have the alert window pop up or not? I've got it so it does, but am finding that to be a bit annoying and I'm not sure if I should click "yes" for access or whatever.

What you want to do is this:

1. If it is a program that you know and trust (IE, Outlook, Outlook Express, AIM, RealPlayer etc) then check the box for remember the selection you make and say yes.

2. If it is a program that you are not familiar with then write down the program name (whatever.exe) and then say no temporarily and do a Google search for that name and it should tell you whether it is a good program (meaning it's okay to connect to the internet) or if it is Spyware or perhaps a trojan.

ALWAY MAKE IT SHOW A POP UP~! That is how you keep track of what is going OUT of your computer. If you have a Trojan on your CPU you want to know if it's trying to access the internet and spread or allow a hacker access to your system.

IE-SPYAD

Short answer: It prevents most crapware from installing on your computer.

Long answer: IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once this list of sites and domains is "merged" into your Registry, most marketers, advertisers, and crapware pushers on the Net will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX controls, Java applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC while you surf the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push unwanted pop-ups, cookies, or auto-installing programs on your computer.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

While I don't think this is a bad idea, I would suggest possibly using Spybot's Immunize feature instead and also the ability to lock the HOST file in that same section. Doesn't do anything to the registry.

But if you do use this program MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY.

A couple more questions about Zone Alarm:

- Since installing, my computer has been quite lethargic, whether it be running programs or the 'net. Is this something that'll pass with time or what? I know it's not because of the amount of memory on my computer, since I'm not even using half of it at the moment.

- Is there any way I can set the preferences so that programs I use all the time don't need to be allowed to be accessed with Zone Alarm? For example, everytime I start up my computer, I'm asked if things like IE, AIM, and Kazaa are allowed to have 'net access. This gets annoying to have to go through the list of programs that are okay each time I start up my computer. I don't see anything in the preferences where I can change this, but maybe I missed something.

When the pop up shows up there is a checkbox at the bottom that you can check to make ZA remember to allow the program access.

ZA will impact your browsing speed a bit but shouldn't give you a huge dropoff in speed.