TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

25 most overrated games of all time

GameSpy sucks anyways, but Halo AND Doa3? Are they just trying to shit on Xbox or something? It's like it's turning into GameSpot (where you have to add a few points to get a "real score" of a game as they're horrible about writing off games for that system)

25) Neverwinter Nights - Yep

24) Super Mario Sunshine - Yep

23) Battle Arena Toshinden - I don't remember this game being hyped. I just remember it being the most technically impressive of the PSX launch titles. A rental.

22) Star Trek: Starfleet Command series - Not a trekkie

21) Morrowind - Damn straight.

20) Impossible Creatures - This game had hype?

19) Battlecruiser: 3000AD - DEREK SMART LIVES IN A FUTURISTIC PARADISE! OVER 30 LINES OF RAW FORTRAN CODE!

18) American McGee's Alice - Should be lower, but yes.

17) The Getaway - Yes.

16) Mortal Kombat - WTF?! I can understand putting this here, but them giving blowjobs to STREET FIGHTER in the same page!??

15) Dungeon Siege - I can't even remember it.

14) Dead or Alive 3 - What's up with this? DOA isn't a realistic battle simulation, but it's not meant to be. Those of us who like to mash or just have a punch and kick button and keep it at that still find it addictive today.

13) Battletoads - Yes.

12) Unreal II: The Awakening - Hype? Everyone shit on this game the minute it came out.

11) Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - Never heard of it.

10) Halo: Combat Evolved - Sorta.

9) Donkey Kong Country - What? Admittedly, I think the problem here is that the GameSpy guys are like, what, 25-28? Those of us who are in the 19-22 range were pretty young when DKC came out, and we believed Nintendo Power when it told us that these Silicon Graphics sprites were the future and we believed that the game was fun because Nintendo Power told us it was fun. It was very heavily hyped, but those of us who were so young that we couldn't see hype enjoyed it, even if only because it was cool and fun because the hype said so. Or something. Basically, I thought it was decent and I didn't find the 3D to be bad, but I was a sucker for the Nintendo Marketing Machine back then.

8) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - Yes.

7) Final Fantasy VII - Sadly, yes.

6) Blinx: The Time Sweeper - This game had hype?

5) Quake II - Should be around #20, not right next to...

4) Daikatana - OH DEAR GOD YES.

3) Enter The Matrix - He;lp.

2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Yes.

1) Black & White - Well, that figures.

Halo is questionable, but DoA3 is absolutely deserving of its place on the list. It's a perfectly fine casual play fighter, but it was hailed by a good number of people as the best or one of the best fighters of all time, and it's clearly not. It's just DoA2 with better graphics and all the same flaws, but lots of people were so smitten with the graphics that they didn't seem to notice.

DOA3 was just made for the major fighting game geeks to drool over, something that started with Fatal Fury's Mai Shiranui's Bouncy code... DOA isn;t bad for a fighter, but when they started going more towards pandering to said fighting gamer geek's overactive hormones and imagination, whatever credibility that was built up was just shot to all hell.... never mind when they followed up DOA 3 with the fucking VOLLEYBALL game...

MK is not overrated, even though I hated it with a passion back in 92. MK and SF needed each other, because without the direct competition, neither game would not have risen as high as they did. And KI 1 and 2 were combo machines that placed the ability to get in as many hits as possible rather than actual strategy and tactics. Get in three combos or so and you were set for the Ultra, joystick/button combo and you can just sit back and watch..

I was working Best Buy when DKC came out. We could not keep copies in the store for a LONG time after its release.

Guest Sakura
And KI 1 and 2 were combo machines that placed the ability to get in as many hits as possible rather than actual strategy and tactics. Get in three combos or so and you were set for the Ultra, joystick/button combo and you can just sit back and watch..

Right.....

Exactly what "strategy and tactics" is KI missing that is in SF and MK?

Also, Ultra combos can only be done at the end of the match. They're not really any different than Fatalities. 3 combos is like enough to take down one bar(if that), not get you in position for an Ultra. If anything MK II's combos take more damage than KI's.