TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

Angle vs. Cena

Guest Anglesault

Well, they've started the Angle/Cena feud that (some of us) were clamoring for.

Angle and Cena get to start their apparently breathtakingly good (idiot comedy midcard) feud, which will probably run for the rest of the year. But what the hell good could POSSIBLY come from any of this?

In all likelyhood, since it's Angle and Cena, it will be chockfull of "hilarious" antics, much like Angle/Edge. Also, much like Angle/Edge, none of these antics will actually be funny.

Since I'm comparing this to Angle/Edge, let's look back at the end result. Angle went shooting down the card from the semi-ME he was before the feud to the stupid wig wearing, thong wearing moron who mistankenly thought he could be in HHH's ring.

Edge didn't move up the card AT ALL, as his next major feud was Chris Jericho and then Eddie, both lower than Angle was.

So, basically, the Angle/Edge feud was a total bust that didn't help Edge and hurt Angle. A comedy based Angle/Cena feud will be different, how exactly?

Now if they try to go the "serious route" like Cena/Taker, we just have a grand old waste of everyone's time. Stupid feud that accomplishes nothing ending in the more accomplished guy putting the rookie back in his place.

Or they could go the disasterous route of having either Angle or Cena win soundly, If Angle beats Cena soundly, where does John go from there? And if Cena wins? Kurt just lost to the guy that everyone and their mother (including Kurt himself) has beat (Some, like Brock, almost without breaking a sweat) in the last year.

So, once again, what good can come from this?

Guest Salacious Crumb

I doubt it.

Angle's now being used to cover for the fact that Taker wouldn't really put him over. So Angle's probably going to job out to him before going back to a feud with Lesnar.

Guest Anglesault
I doubt it.

Angle's now being used to cover for the fact that Taker wouldn't really put him over. So Angle's probably going to job out to him before going back to a feud with Lesnar.

Because Angle jobbing to the guy that never gave Brock trouble and then facing Brock should work.

Guest Salacious Crumb

It seems to be WWF logic at this point though.

Let's have Lesnar job to Taker clean right before he beats Angle clean for the title.

Or let's have Jericho job to non-finishing moves by the Rock and destroy the credibility of all his moves so he can only beat the Rock with the Rock Bottom and make him look like the other main eventers bitch for a month leading up to him winning the Undisputed Title.

Guest Trivia247

well despite most Smart Purists whom would probably want the same two people wrestle a full year's series of matches because they happen to work well together... the rest enjoy the change up now and again.Angle vs Cena is a good side venture...giving him vs Brock a rest for a while is a good thing. you don't want things to get too stale. so Angle deals with Cena as Taker gets his Crack at Lesnar and a few months later

Guest Salacious Crumb

But certainly there are better targets with nothing to do.

Why not Benoit, Guerrero, Rhyno or one of the other guys who don't have a freaking thing to do.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Well b/c Big Show's such a draw that he needed to take Cena's place in the Guerrero feud.

Funny that they always seem to have something for him to do but they couldn't figure out a damn thing to do with Benoit post-RR.

Or they could go the disasterous route of having either Angle or Cena win soundly, If Angle beats Cena soundly, where does John go from there? And if Cena wins? Kurt just lost to the guy that everyone and their mother (including Kurt himself) has beat (Some, like Brock, almost without breaking a sweat) in the last year.

A decent little feud which will lead into a good/great wrestling match.

Angle has been on top for almost a year now. He needs to step down (as all top guys need to) once in a while and let other guys into the main event to freshen up the scene. Angle won't be hurt at all by this and Cena is pretty over right now so a lost won't send him to Velocity.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I agree that the Cena/Angle feud would do nothing for either of them. But it should make for an entertaining feud that is "fresh" and different from what they have been doing lately. I think this feud might be able to push Cena to ME level, but only if done correctly. It won't be easy for them though.

Angle needs a consistant run at the top to become a truly established Main Eventer. This up-and-down shit doesn't help.

Angle is truly an established main eventer.

Guest Anglesault

A decent little feud which will lead into a good/great wrestling match.

Name the last great Cena match.

Angle has been on top for almost a year now.

December to March and June to September. Eh, close enough to a year. I guess.

Angle won't be hurt at all by this

I've heard that somewhere before.

::Flashes back to the Angle/Edge feud::

::Flashes back to Angle winning the US title::

::runs away screaming::

Yeah, the Angle/Edge feud hurt him so bad. I mean, after that feud the fans stopped caring about him and sent him straight to Velocity. Angle's career was so damaged he almost had to retire.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Does post-RR to Mania even count as being on top?

I mean he was the champ but he was just Lesnar's punching bag every week. Plus everyone knew Lesnar was getting the belt.

Angle needs a consistant run at the top to become a truly established Main Eventer.  This up-and-down shit doesn't help.

Angle is truly an established main eventer.

That's debateable.

One could argue that in order to have solidified a main event slot, one would have to have a successful title run.

*Looks at all of Angle's title runs*

Yeah, that doesn't work.

Cena is pretty much Angle's only opponent without turning someone. And off topic a bit, I can't wait until Smackdown HCTP comes out so I can imagine AS commenting on every match that Angle is in.

If Kurt Angle had to retire today people would remember him as a top guy. Sure, there would be the "should of, would of, could of," debates but he would still be remember as a great.

Angle has never been the anchor of the promotion. He has never been at the Rock/Austin/HHH level. He has periodical stints in the main event and goes back down to the midcard. You don't see the real main eventers do that. They keep their spot at the top, even if they lose the belt.

Ok, but other guys like Flair, Taker, Bret and Shawn all moved in and out of the main event slots at times and it didn't hurt them. People look at them and think "greats, legends, top guys, main eventers." People will, and some already do, think the same about Kurt Angle

Flair had a consistant run on top in the 80's - that momentum carried over into the late 90's when he was wrestling for the US title w/ Eddie. Angle has had no period of stability.

Bret had a sustained period on top as did Shawn. Even if it was for a year. With Angle we're talking about a few months on top, a few months in the midcard for his whole career.

Taker is always the exception to every rule.

It isn't nescessarily their spot on their card, it's in the way the company treats them even if they're not main eventing for the title.

When Angle isn't main eventing for the title he is not treated and talked about like he's a main eventer.

Taker, HBK etc. are.

Guest RollingSambos
But what the hell good could POSSIBLY come from any of this?

This could be Bret/Austin II if done correctly. Mock me if you will, I'm sticking to my guns.

Don't you bring up this topic every time that Angle drops down to a mid-card feud, AS? :huh:

Guest Anglesault
Yeah, the Angle/Edge feud hurt him so bad. I mean, after that feud the fans stopped caring about him and sent him straight to Velocity. Angle's career was so damaged he almost had to retire.

It turned him from an almost ME into a midcard buffoon.

Cena is pretty much Angle's only opponent without turning someone.

Undertaker.