TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

Guest Choken One
Yankees in the World Series is GOOD for baseball...

With the prospect of the Chicago Cubs AND Boston Red Sox in the World Series, the Yankees are NOT good for baseball.

No Way the fucking Curse/Goat thing would over ride the games itself and besides, anytime the Yanks are there Ratings tend to be good unless it's another NY team...then the country could care less..

People love to root against the Yanks which make for good ratings...

The Cubs beating the Yanks would mean more then if they beat the Sox...

Right. It's good for baseball that the same team is in the World Series for the AL every year, thus alientating all these other cities and their teams (Anaheim was a fluke). And yes, it's good for baseball that the Yankees can have a team of All-Stars, beating the next team in payroll by nearly $80 million, making many baseball games uncompetitive. And yes, the Yankees are good for baseball because, I know, there's nothing every fan loves more(besides a Yankee fan) then the same team winning every year. Unpredictability makes sports popular, which is why the Superbowl always generates more interest than the World Series. The Yankees winning the AL East division every year, and representing the AL in the World Series every year, isn't too unpredictable. It just drives people away from watching. Just like you're sick of stale WWE storylines, many baseball fans are tired of the same stale teams going far - i.e. The Yankees.

So explain to me, please, how they are good for the sport. A few more years of them winning it, or them just getting to the World Series every year, will gradually start to destroy the sport.

Guest Choken One

Yes this year...but I was saying Yankees in the World Series is always good thing as long as it's not NY on the other side...

and looking at Boston right now do you really want THAT team there?

So explain to me, please, how they are good for the sport. A few more years of them winning it, or them just getting to the World Series every year, will gradually start to destroy the sport.

I guess that You don't Understand...Everyone wants to see teh Yankees go down...and The Marlins should Win too...there's your fucking surprise...Nobody cares about the Cubs

Yes this year...but I was saying Yankees in the World Series is always good thing as long as it's not NY on the other side...

Yankees in the World Series is not always good. Within a few years, Boston fans will be tuning out. Oakland fans will be tuning out. Minnesota, Chicago White Sox, Seattle, all these teams will be tuning out because it's practically set in stone that the Yankees will win. When they have SUCH an advantage in payroll, allowing them to buy All Star after All Star, people WILL tune out. A HATE for the Yankees isn't good for baseball business. Neither is buying Aaron Boone, just because you have a tiny weak hole in your lineup.

And yes, looking at Boston, I DO want them there. It's something new. And I think you're underestimating my complete and utter disgust at the New York Yankees organization. They can't keep doing this every year, because interest will plummet. It already has.

Fuck Joe Buck. That catch was about as sensational as my ass.

Fox sucks. What else is new?

"That's when you worry about hitting a five-run homer"

I hate Derek Jeter. I can't stand that pud. Especially in those damn Visa commercials where he's making some sort of dumb face. And the Pepsi commercials where Giambi is making a dumb face. Yeah, those Yankees in all the ads is great isn't it?

Guest Choken One
Fuck Joe Buck. That catch was about as sensational as my ass.

I dunno I mean you do have a nice ass...

The New York Yankees are the Triple-H of Major League Baseball. With their money, they buy their way to the top and, when they face trouble, they just use more money to get what they want, although it might have a negative effect on the rest of the sport.

Triple H = sexes Steph up on his way to the top, with no regard for competition and the benefit of the sport.

Yankees = buys their way to the top, with no regard for the competition and the benefit of the sport.

What in the hell is the difference?

Guest Choken One

Yankees in the World Series is not always good. Within a few years, Boston fans will be tuning out. Oakland fans will be tuning out. Minnesota, Chicago White Sox, Seattle, all these teams will be tuning out because it's practically set in stone that the Yankees will win. When they have SUCH an advantage in payroll, allowing them to buy All Star after All Star, people WILL tune out. A HATE for the Yankees isn't good for baseball business. Neither is buying Aaron Boone, just because you have a tiny weak hole in your lineup.

And yes, looking at Boston, I DO want them there. It's something new. And I think you're underestimating my complete and utter disgust at the New York Yankees organization. They can't keep doing this every year, because interest will plummet. It already has.

buying Aaron Boone? They traded a star prospect and he's only worth about 3 million...Boston pays equal amount on their players just like LA and Atlanta...

Don't pinpoint that they "BUY" championships which is complete and utter bullshit spoken by depresed angry fans who can't stand the fact that NYY knows how to WIN when it matters.

Guest Choken One
The New York Yankees are the Triple-H of Major League Baseball. With their money, they buy their way to the top and, when they face trouble, they just use more money to get what they want, although it might have a negative effect on the rest of the sport.

Triple H = sexes Steph up on his way to the top, with no regard for competition and the benefit of the sport.

Yankees = buys their way to the top, with no regard for the competition and the benefit of the sport.

EXCUSE Steinbrener for GIVING A fuck about winning, EVERY god damn owner in the MLB has the resources...Carl Polhad for Minny, AOL for Atlanta...

Don't blame The Yankees for giving a FUCK about winning, when all the other owners just want fucking profit.

Fuck Joe Buck.  That catch was about as sensational as my ass.

You really need to preface that with "I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin'..." for full effect.

The Sox have just looked crappy in this series, and for most of the ALDS, as well. They've done almost nothing in the postseason that got them there in the first place and their big bats have gone the way of the dodo. It's not even the Yanks great pitching, which I think isn't nearly up to par with what it's been in recent years. Mussina is almost becoming an automatic win in the postseason (mainly because of his team not backing him up with the runs), Wells looked human tonight, and Pettite seems to be a little off at times.

If the Sox had taken advantage of half of their scoring chances they had tonight, they would be up 3-2 in the series, because the Yanks pitching wasn't great.

The big hitters for the Sox are going to be the thing that ends up costing the team, because as of now, they've done absolutely dick. Nomar has just been trash, Ortiz only shines occassionally, and Ramirez is looking more overrated with each passing game. The way he was swinging against Rivera tonight was almost a joke. He looked like a pitcher taking some of those hacks.

Not winning because the opposing pitching is excellent is one thing, but when you lose because you can't get the baserunners in, you've got a bigger problem. The Cubs don't do it as much as they should, but they've been solid in scoring the runs when they've needed to so far in the postseason, and that's surprising, since they were all about the pitching in the regular season. I just wanna know where the offensive juggernaut that was the Boston Red Sox went.

Guest Choken One
Fuck Joe Buck.  That catch was about as sensational as my ass.

You really need to preface that with "I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin'..." for full effect.

Noted.

EXCUSE Steinbrener for GIVING A fuck about winning, EVERY god damn owner in the MLB has the resources...Carl Polhad for Minny, AOL for Atlanta...

Don't blame The Yankees for giving a FUCK about winning, when all the other owners just want fucking profit.

No, they don't. Not when the Yankees pull in $150 million in cable revenue, while the Twins get just this side of jack shit. That's what's killing the sport.

Guest Choken One

No, they don't. Not when the Yankees pull in $150 million in cable revenue, while the Twins get just this side of jack shit. That's what's killing the sport.

I haven't seen Carl Pohlad make any effort on his part...

Well, it's Steinbrenner's fault that he is a dumbass and prefers RESULTS NOW, instead of possible results later. They had just a little, weak hole at third base and they needed to plug it up with an ALL-STAR. Why?! What happened to using your farm system? How many other teams could trade a prospect and get back an ALL-STAR in return? And I may be wrong here, but wasn't the Yankees giving money part of the deal too? It was just another indication of the bloated payroll the Yankees have and how they could do what almost no other team can - you know, like what happened with Raul Mondesi LAST SEASON.

And they do buy Championships. Jose Contreras for 32 million? Mike Mussina for how much? Stealing David Wells from a handshake with the Diamondbacks? Giving Soriano $1 million dollars while he was playing in the Dominican - what other team can afford to give such an unestablished player a MILLION dollars?! Don't believe the Yankee propaganda bullshit. Many other teams scouted Soriano. They were the only ones that could sign such an unproven player to a million dollar contract.

Don't give me the bullshit that they know how to spend their money, which is why their successful. They're successful because they have the unbelievable amount of money to piss away. $80 million over the #2 team is inexcusable when you're trying to build a competitive sport. Inexcusable!

Guest MentallyNormal

Where did Boston leave there bats at? Where is the fucking offense?

Oh man da fucking Yankees 1 win away from going to the World series.

Damn Yankees. They remind me of that rich spoiled kid in school that got everything he wanted, but was a dick to you because you weren't rich. An the only kids that where friends with him were people that just played with his toys.

Then you got pissed at him one day and wanted to fight him, but he had a bodyguard. The bodyguard held you while that rich kid slapped you with his hands. Then you walked away with your head down crying, because a rich kid slapped you and there wasn't anything you could do about it.

We just want to enjoy some of the toys too man? Please!!

:cheers:

Choken, I think most people have a problem with the way the Yanks are run, not because they think that wanting to win is bad, but because of how it's done. Instead of building up some of their own talent, they go out and buy the biggest names out there, so it's not like they're really earning the wins, but rather, just buying them.

Don't get me wrong, if they've got the money, they should invest in a winning team, but the way the Yanks are built every year, it's almost like they're buying a championship, instead of really working for it.

Winning is obviously an important thing, but going absolutely apeshit when the most minor thing goes wrong is just insanity. I guess that's just because big Stein keeps dumping millions into making the "best" team out there everywhere, and rarely coming out of it with a championship to show for it.

So He likes to over spend...It's His money.

See, that response proves what's wrong with the Yankees, and baseball as a whole. He shouldn't be ABLE to overspend. It ruins the sport.

Guest Choken One
Choken, I think most people have a problem with the way the Yanks are run, not because they think that wanting to win is bad, but because of how it's done. Instead of building up some of their own talent, they go out and buy the biggest names out there, so it's not like they're really earning the wins, but rather, just buying them.

Don't get me wrong, if they've got the money, they should invest in a winning team, but the way the Yanks are built every year, it's almost like they're buying a championship, instead of really working for it.

Winning is obviously an important thing, but going absolutely apeshit when the most minor thing goes wrong is just insanity. I guess that's just because big Stein keeps dumping millions into making the "best" team out there everywhere, and rarely coming out of it with a championship to show for it.

rarely? Hasn't he won 4 in the last 7 years? That's not reall RARE.

That's pretty damn good percentage right there

Guest Anglesault

I keep forgetting about George's mind control powers.

You know, the ones he uses to stop the other 29 owners from spending money or selling the team to someone will

How exactly does he activate them?

So what? Should they throw the series?

Choken, I think most people have a problem with the way the Yanks are run, not because they think that wanting to win is bad, but because of how it's done.  Instead of building up some of their own talent, they go out and buy the biggest names out there, so it's not like they're really earning the wins, but rather, just buying them. 

Winning is obviously an important thing, but going absolutely apeshit when the most minor thing goes wrong is just insanity.  I guess that's just because big Stein keeps dumping millions into making the "best" team out there everywhere, and rarely coming out of it with a championship to show for it.

rarely? Hasn't he won 4 in the last 7 years? That's not reall RARE.

That's pretty damn good percentage right there

For all the money he's spending to buy a team that's made to win RIGHT NOW, they should be winning it every year.

Guest Anglesault
Choken, I think most people have a problem with the way the Yanks are run, not because they think that wanting to win is bad, but because of how it's done. Instead of building up some of their own talent,

Like Pettite, Jeter, Soriano, Johnson, Posada, Rivera or Williams?

Guest Choken One

I keep forgetting about George's mind control powers.

You know, the ones he uses to stop the other 29 owners from spending money or selling the team to someone will

How exactly does he activate them?

So what? Should they throw the series?

Exactly...If these so called fair and Balanced owners want equality...they should start spending their money...

It's not like Steinbrener is Bill Gates and the other 29 teams are owned by Pre-schoolers....The other owners aren't willing to spend money.