TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Jason Alexander is Tony Kornheiser in..

Who am I?"

"You're Tony Kornheiser."

Then who's behind the mask?

It's Jason Alexander, who's going to play the Washington Post columnist and co-star of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" in a CBS sitcom pilot.

You've got to be kidding.

No, it's true. At least that's what the Post reports in a story published Thursday.

"Shut Up and Listen," to be based on Kornheiser's columns in the Post's Style section about his real life, was developed for CBS's fall lineup. However, it was delayed, perhaps until spring or next fall, according to the Post, because CBS and the production company couldn't find the right Kornheiser.

John Goodman was considered, but "is no Tony Kornheiser," notes the Post. "Jason Alexander, on the other hand, practically is Tony Kornheiser," according to the Post.

It's easy to picture Alexander behind the Kornheiser mask, sitting opposite Michael Wilbon, pulling off one of PTI's recurring shticks. True, Alexander's shorter, but who notices when they're sitting down?

What is noticeable is that they have "the same hair," as Kornheiser acknowledged to the Post. And, anybody who knows Kornheiser knows that he and the George Costanza character played by Alexander on "Seinfield" are similarly neurotic, too.

The Kornheiser character is named Tony Kleinman in the pilot script. He's a sports journalist with two teenagers who, according to DeKoven, "is very comfortable in the world of sports but uncomfortable in the world of parenting."

The show was developed by longtime Kornheiser friend and former NBC exec Lindy DeKoven, who will be executive producer. She wanted Alexander from the start. "He was among the first people we even thought of; he seems like he fits the role," DeKoven told the Post. "Tony, as you know, is not the easiest guy -- this is not tall, dark and handsome. Just say it wasn't an easy role to cast."

I dont give it long, if it even ever actually makes it to TV. I hate Tony Kornheiser and I don't think Jason Alexander will ever be a sucessful sitcom actor again.

Semi related to this is NBC has a new dramatic series in the works that will be based on the life Jeanie Buss, the daughter of the owner of the Lakers who dates Phil Jackson and Phil's character will be in the show and will be based on real life events with the Lakers. God I'm glad I almost never watch network t.v. anymore.

Guest Choken One

Why not just have a show about a balding Sports Columists instead? Do you really have to base it on someone?

Shouldn't ABC be doing this show, seeing how they own PTI anyways.

Guest Choken One

Stat Boy needs his show too...

Edited by Choken One

Semi related to this is NBC has a new dramatic series in the works that will be based on the life Jeanie Buss, the daughter of the owner of the Lakers who dates Phil Jackson and Phil's character will be in the show and will be based on real life events with the Lakers. God I'm glad I almost never watch network t.v. anymore.

Um, what? Good thing NBC has "Joey" next year. Presumably they won't screw that one up.

Well, assuming it (the Jeannie Buss show) happens, I say you put Christina Applegate in the lead role. More Applegate on my TV is a good thing.

It sounds like "Dave's World" which was based on humor columnist Dave Barry, and actually moderately successful. Problem is, Kornheiser is not Dave Barry (and who is?).

Dave's World was half decent, but that's because Harry Anderson can carry a sitcom. Jason Alexander? We don't know yet. Give him a decent plot, and we'll see.

Shouldn't ABC be doing this show, seeing how they own PTI anyways.

Maybe the Mouse passed on it...

They're both sardonic bald New-Yawkers, so I suppose it works, although Alexander would of course have to grow a beard... and a couple inches... and maybe drop about, oh, 30 lb

"Serenity now!"