TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest El Satanico

A soundtrack not mainstream friendly

Guest El Satanico

That's something you don't see often, but the soundtrack for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake(don't even get me started on that) does it.

Pantera, "Immortally Insane" (New Remix Not Available In US)

Hatebreed "Below The Bottom"

Soil, "Pride" (New Track)

Static-X, "Deliver Me" (New Track to Be Used As a Future B-Side)

Mushroomhead, "43"

Seether, "Pig"

Nothingface, "Down In Flames" (Previously Unavailable)

40 Below Summer, "Self Medicate"

Motograter, "Suffocate"

Shadows Fall, "Destroyer Of Senses"

Meshuggah, "Rational Gaze"

Fear Factory, "Archetype" (Remixed For This Record)

Morbid Angel, "Enshrined By Grace"

Index Case, "Listen"

Finger Eleven, "Stay In Shadow"

Lamb Of God, "Ruin"

Sworn Enemy, "As Real As It Gets"

Core-Tez, "5 Months"

This is DEFINITELY mainstream acceptable. Soil, Static-X, Motograter, Seether, Finger Eleven, and post-Demanufacture Fear Factory are all very radio friendly.

..."Destroyer Of Senses"...**cries**

I'll skip this one. Nothing looks good on it. Looks like another shitty excuse for some nu-metal bands.

I think the last movie soundtrack that I honestly liked was for Bride Of Chucky. Slayer, Type O Negative, Motörhead, White Zombie, Judas Priest...what's not to love?

Guest El Satanico

eh alright...I'll take the word of someone who knows more about this stuff than I.

It just looked like alot a nonmainstream stuff to me. Of course I knew a few of them were mainstream.

disregard

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Eh, you'd be better off getting the new Morbid Angel and Lamb of God cds. Particularly the latter. Other than that, nothing on here that really grabs me. Meshuggah's good shit, and Shadows Fall is decent.

"Immortally Insane" is one of Pantera's worst tracks.

This is DEFINITELY mainstream acceptable. Soil, Static-X, Motograter, Seether, Finger Eleven, and post-Demanufacture Fear Factory are all very radio friendly.

Dude, it's mainstream to YOU.

Walk onto any city street and ask 10 random people, and if more than perhaps one of them claimed to be familiar with any of the bands you listed I'd be shocked.

It may be "radio-friendly" but most people don't know what the fuck "Finger Eleven" is nor have any desire to.

It may be "radio-friendly" but most people don't know what the fuck "Finger Eleven" is nor have any desire to.

I'd say that's not very true. I know a great many people who know of Finger Eleven, actually. And if I asked ten random people if they knew of any of the listed bands, I'd honestly be shocked if I only got one.

And it's not just mainstream to Laz, either. This kinda stuff is essentially mainstream to anyone who's interested in heavier music, because it's what gets seemingly the most attention from all these crappy rock magazines and such.

Basically, if you're at all "in-the-know" with heavier music, you probably have heard of a few of these bands.

Go to any city with a rock station. Ask those who listen to said rock station who Static-X and Seether are. Static-X is still "big" for the "Push It" single, and Seether are the current "it" group of rock/radio, it seems.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

How about the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack? The music on there is great, and it sure sold a bundle...but it's not at all mainstream-friendly.

A lot of those bands have been featured on other soundtracks. Of those artists I've heard, they could be easily played on any commercial rock station.

By the way, Finger Eleven rules all!

You're all prefacing your comments with "people who like heavier music" or "rock stations", etc.

People who are into that sort of thing, I can see them being somewhat familiar with some of those bands.

Most people in this country? I can't picture a majority of them knowing or careing about many of them.

Mortal Kombat 2 soundtrack was full of techno, electronica, nu-metal, and other crap which I am confused to what to call.

Reminds me of a comedian mocking said soundtrack.

Dun dun da-dun, da-dun-dun-dun, dun dun da-dun, da-dun-dun-dun *begins tapping microphone*.

It wasn't exactly something to listen to for fun.

You're all prefacing your comments with "people who like heavier music" or "rock stations", etc.

People who are into that sort of thing, I can see them being somewhat familiar with some of those bands.

Most people in this country? I can't picture a majority of them knowing or careing about many of them.

So? If it gets MAINSTREAM play, it's a mainstream tune. Fuck, even Slayer are mainstream, and they're only on metal shows that SOME mainstream radio stations have.

And as for prefacing the comments, you need to. This is a heavy music soundtrack. If it was an all rap soundtrack, featuring rappers I'd never heard of but were "big" at the time with videos all over MTV and songs all over rap radio stations, I wouldn't know a damn thing about it being mainstream or not.

Guest Doyo

he was talking about mainstream to America vs. mainstream to heavy music fans

metal shows that SOME mainstream radio stations have.

mainstream = commonplace, widespread, very prevalent

which is not what I would consider a once a week metal show on some stations.

There are around 300 million people in the USA alone and few of those bands

listed have probably sold more than 250,000 albums. Most of them also haven't

been in the billboard top 100. It is ridiculous to call anything mainstream if it has

not been a top seller for even one measly week. Most of those bands could play

a concert in New York City, with its huge population, and they wouldn't draw more

than 2,000 people. There are tons of movies that come out every year that don't

make the top 20, but they still get shown at select theaters across the country.

Maybe big movie buffs consider them mainstream, but the common person isn't going to.

Most rap artists that have "videos all over MTV and songs all over rap radio stations",

also sell a ton of albums or at least make it into the top 100, unlike most of the bands

listed above.

Guest Frank The Tank

Aside from Motorgrater, who I never heard of, all the bands he mentioned get alot of airplay especially Seether. And yes The Bride of Chucky soundtrack rules all. If it wasn't for The Crow soundtrack, it would be my favorite one. As for this soundtrack it looks like complete shit. I already have the Pantera, Lamb of God, and Shadows Fall songs, and I can download the Morbid Angel and Hatebreed songs if they are any good.

Guest Doyo
Aside from Motorgrater, who I never heard of, all the bands he mentioned get alot of airplay

Compared to Nickelback, Staind, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down, AC/DC or Led Zeppelin?

Does "a lot of airplay" = 2 to 20 video plays a year on Headbanger's Ball and Uranium, and limited

playings on a few radio stations here and there? Name one major radio station where you can

turn it on at 3 in the afternoon and have good chances of hearing Lamb of God or Morbid Angel.

Guest Frank The Tank

He didn't mention Lamb Of God or Morbid Angel. I'm talking about the list of band CoreyLazarus was talking about. Static X and Seether don't equal those bands, but they come close. Fear Factory and Soil get some radio play based on their hits, but not much video play. Finger Eleven isn't really mainstream, but they do get some radioplay, but I've honestly never saw a video from them. Most of the people I hang out with know who all these bands are.

Guest Burrito

I thought the Freddy vs. Jason soundtrack was pretty nonmainstream, and I listen to a lot of the "heavier stuff" such as KillSwitch, Shadows Fall, Hatebreed, things of that such. Just my opinion, but then again I am kinda out of what is considered mainstream and stuff nowadays.

-Burrito

Turn on a rock station. You're bound to hear the new Static-X single (which sounds like KoRn and Dope collaborated on a song, which means Static-X went from "tolerable" to "ultra shitty" in one album), and WILL hear a Seether song, within 2 hours. I'd call that mainstream.

As to whoever said something about record sales...

Shadows Fall's The Art Of Balance was in the Top 100 (and atop the Metal charts) for a decent bit of time, I believe. Which is incredibly pleasing, as the album was only known to SF fans (and the numbers grow with each live show, might I add).

True, I wouldn't say Morbid Angel are mainstream. I'd say they're middleground (well-known, but not in the Top 100). But can you honestly tell me that you didn't hear of Pantera, Mushroomhead, Soil (whose song "Halo" was a big Top 10 rock single), Static-X, or Seether before this soundtrack? Thus mainstream friendly.

A soundtrack that is not mainstream friendly would have, maybe, 1 to 3 bands that are mainstream/middleground. The soundtrack for The Crow is a fairly good example, as most of the bands weren't mainstream when the soundtrack came out.

Guest Doyo
Shadows Fall's The Art Of Balance was in the Top 100 (and atop the Metal charts) for a decent bit of time, I believe.

Nope, they have never been in the top 200 and Billboard doesn't have any metal charts. They

did make it to #15 on the top independent albums charts.

Soil (whose song "Halo" was a big Top 10 rock single)

False, that song only made it to #22 on the rock charts. Their album made it to #193.

Yes, I'm being anal over something not important, but facts are facts.

To be fair I will list these five who have made the top 100-

highest position on album charts:

Seether #92

Hatebreed #50

Fear Factory #32

Static X #11

Pantera #1

source: www.allmusic.com which uses data from billboard